2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Recomendations For Hiking/Backpacking Sunglasses?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ZooBooBooZoo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 5:16 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm planning a ~year long trip across Europe and India, where I'm gonna need sunglasses in different climates and situations.

They need to be:
1) Have great protections for the eyes(Polaroid right? )
2) Be durable(So they don't break easily during the trip and so I don't have to worry about them all the time)

I was thinking about Oakley, there sunglasses seem to meet my needs.

Thx in advance, ZBBZ.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 6:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glacier glasses.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 7:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used Oakley Blades and now their successor prescriptions with great success. Oakley makes a relatively tough product but anything like that, with hinges etc. is breakable.
 Post Number: 4
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like Smith.  Used them for years, for mainly for fishing, but use them for all other outdoor activities too.
BTW, the term is "polarized", as in the way the light is polarized when it passes through the lens, and eliminates glare.  I will not buy sunglasses that are not polarized, its a waste of money.
 Post Number: 5
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't found backpacking to be more destructive than day-to-day life when it comes to my sunglasses. I like the Native Eyewear Hardtop and Hardtop XP. Not particularly durable, but I've gotten a lot of use from mine, and prefer them to everything else because they're the most comfortable for me, personally. I've actually trashed two pair, and am on my third in five years. Didn't tear any of them up while outdoors, though. Learned to be careful changing the lenses, for one thing. Stepping on them doesn't really help, either...
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cheap polarized glasses...that have side protection.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually prefer cheap sunglasses (per ZZ Top) for out of country travel. I worry about name brand glasses being stolen.

If that's not a concern I love my Oakley's too, especially the fit. Some sunglasses would touch my forehead/eyebrows and cause fogging or the dreaded sweat dribbles....I sweat a lot. They also wrapped around without cutting off my peripheral vision or causing fogging.

Note on glacier glasses. They became the rage for awhile among the collage crowd up here in N California, same kids that wore mountaineering gear to the mall but never got close to a mountain.

The CHP was pulling them over because they said the glasses interfered with peripheral vision. That was a few years ago and I dont know if they still do it or if they were using it as an excuse to pull'em over.

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
tRoLLin_mOtOr Search for posts by this member.
Strategery

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love my Kavu Perma-Grin sunglasses.  They have holes in the arms for tying on your own keepers; the arms attach with big clips that are designed to come apart rather than break, and they re-assemble easily.  Lifetime warranty. Polarized too.

--------------
It is better to travel well than to arrive
 Post Number: 9
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Julbo Micropore - 24214 w/Spectron 3 lens are classic performance mountaineering glasses. Moldable temples and nose piece with removable sides shields. Classic means the product is time tested and is still competitive in the market. Moldable temples means they actually fit. The Spectron 3 lens work in low light as well as bright enhancing performance in variable conditions. The price is reasonable. I have multiple sunglasses, automobile, motorcycle, resort skiing and backcountry. Currently on my third pair of Micropores in the last 25 years. Prior to procuring #3 shopped extensively for a "latest" technology upgrade. The multi-condition lens for changing conditions and the "cherry on top" fit meant the choice was the Micropores. Do kind of miss the early 90's version with the round lens.

Not sure of your travel mode and touring plans.For international travel (planes, trains & auto) I go retro with Rayban Aviators.
 Post Number: 10
okmtbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a pair of Suncloud Voucher polarized sunglasses (less than $50) & have been really pleased with their performance. I liked 'em so much that I recently picked up an additional pair. I love the versatility of the rose lenses - excellent in lower light conditions. Suncloud is now made by Smith, so you get Smith quality at a much lower price. IMO - unbeatable quality for the price.
 Post Number: 11
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you looked at either Costa Del Mar or Natives?

I just bought a pair of Costa 580P's and my wife wears Natives.....either are really nice glasses that significantly reduces glare and keeps colors vibrant.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with Tigger: cheap polarized.  Two pair.  You're gonna lose one.  You know we're right.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13
Idahobackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 1:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Tifosi photocromic sunglasses to hike with. The lenses are kind of an orange shade. They lighten and darken as the lighting changes which is really nice. They are polarized, and the lenses themselves have vent holes, so they don't fog up on you. I have had them for 2 years now, taken them on lots of trips, and I only paid around $50 for them at REI.

For snow/mountain climbing, I have a pair of Julbo glacier glasses. They are very dark and work well in snow.
 Post Number: 14
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Suncloud is Smith's low line product. I think they're a high quality, cheap product ($50). My latest pair (Conductor) work great.

Many of my friends swear by Costa Del Mar, they are REALLY high quality, but expensive...

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 15
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Sunclouds ever since my fancy glasses missed the last leg of a business trip.  I've been very happy with them.
 Post Number: 16
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty much, my criteria for sunglasses is that they must have glass lenses, cost under 60 dollars and don't have the "floating" nose rests.

I'm currently wearing an unbranded pair (The brand name has rubbed off.) from Big 5 Sporting Goods. The cost was about 40 bucks if I remember correctly. They have sales of glass lens sunglasses a couple times a year. I usually buy two pair and will have lost or destroyed both pairs within a couple of years.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 17
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was unable to destory ( a great way to rate glasses) these until my basset hound puppy found em

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sg-24pl.html

I've seen safety glasses rated ANSI Z87.1-2010 take a shotgun blast without major problems (better than the head would have faired at least)

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2011....ty.html
 Post Number: 18
MoonNerd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One criteria that is starting to be a priority for me is depth perception.  I know athletes often wear Oakleys because they don't affect depth perception.  But I've noticed hiking in the rocky mountains with my cheap sunglasses, I sometimes struggle with depth perception on all the rocks on the trail.  So I had to take them off.

Do any of the glasses mentioned above other than Oakleys do well with the depth perception issue?
 Post Number: 19
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MoonNerd @ Oct. 15 2013, 9:47 am)
One criteria that is starting to be a priority for me is depth perception.  I know athletes often wear Oakleys because they don't affect depth perception.  But I've noticed hiking in the rocky mountains with my cheap sunglasses, I sometimes struggle with depth perception on all the rocks on the trail.  So I had to take them off.

Do any of the glasses mentioned above other than Oakleys do well with the depth perception issue?

I don't think that would be a brand specific issue but rather the lens characteristics. Now Oakley may offer more of those types of menses in more of their frame designs but I expect other manuf. do as well.
18 replies since Sep. 28 2013, 5:16 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Recomendations For Hiking/Backpacking Sunglasses?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions