2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: If you like Coleman products...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 6:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amazon has a good sale going on:

http://www.amazon.com/l....ntkicom

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think I could sleep on this:
Coleman Medium/Large Bone Dog Lounger
and I certainly wouldn't carry a 4 pound bed for a dog!

Isn't this forum about backpacking? All this stuff looks like car camping to me.
 Post Number: 3
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Though it's no longer in production and I have two stockpiled, the Coleman Apex II was the ULTIMATE remote canister liquid fuel stove of all time, and still my go to whenever I need to do more than boil water.

It had the widest flame spread of any Bpr's stove and was capable of handling a 12" frying pan or a 3 ltr pot at boil to gentle simmer

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NICE pan o'fish, SWT.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Coleman has produced numerous items over the years aimed at backpackers. As noted above, some of them were quite good, if not always light.  I wish they hadn't used proprietary canisters so often for their stoves and lanterns.
 Post Number: 6
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 2:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No slight intended toward anyone, nor toward Coleman: I probably have at least as many, if not more, Coleman stoves than anyone else around, with the possible exception of the very serious collector. I'd estimate that the current number of working units is something like 6 or 7 backpacking stoves and 3 or 4 car camping jobs (2 burner plus one with a grill), plus various large and small air mattresses (mostly used for kids' sleepovers) with assorted pumping devices. I have slept under Coleman canvas and nylon, as well as in and on old and new Coleman sleeping gear probably since before I got out of elementary school until at least my second marriage - on the ground, on cots, in shelters and in the back of pickup trucks, at parks, campgrounds and roadside stops. So I am not unfamiliar with the brand.

What I was pointing out was the set of product images that come up when that link is clicked. They are definitively "car camping".
 Post Number: 7
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My old and broken Coleman Peak 1 stove with the integrated fuel tank is never going to be thrown out. It was top-of-the-line back in the day and I've got metric tons of memories associated with it.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 8
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Oct. 06 2013, 10:46 pm)
Though it's no longer in production and I have two stockpiled, the Coleman Apex II was the ULTIMATE remote canister liquid fuel stove of all time, and still my go to whenever I need to do more than boil water.

It had the widest flame spread of any Bpr's stove and was capable of handling a 12" frying pan or a 3 ltr pot at boil to gentle simmer

I too love my apex stove.  Mines a little jacked up though after some poorly made field repairs a little while back

BEST white gas stove I have ever used.  The Xtreme power max stoves were also awesome.  The proprietary cannister worked so well because it was so much BETTER than everything else.

Power up your stove at -10f with no issues, no pumping, no priming, no NOTHING, just pancakes and hot coffee.

It was so ahead of its time its not even funny.
 Post Number: 9
EdD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Xtreme is still usable with an adapter that inverts normal canisters. We still use them.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EdD @ Oct. 08 2013, 12:18 pm)
The Xtreme is still usable with an adapter that inverts normal canisters. We still use them.

Yeah it just removes one of the major benefits.  The powermax 10oz canister weighed in at 12oz...  
10oz of fuel, 2 oz of canister.  

rather than 8 and 8 for normal canisters

Yes you still get the same siphon effect but at a much more onerous weight penalty
 Post Number: 11
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 06 2013, 11:16 pm)
NICE pan o'fish, SWT.

NICE Hilleberg Tent o'er Hill, SWT.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never been much of a fan of Coleman as far as backpacking is concerned, but I've got a number of their car camping items - most notably a two burner stove and and a gas lantern.  Had them for nearly 35 year and they are still going strong.  i still use them regularly.Can't complaint about them in the least.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Oct. 07 2013, 8:03 am)
My old and broken Coleman Peak 1 stove with the integrated fuel tank is never going to be thrown out. It was top-of-the-line back in the day and I've got metric tons of memories associated with it.

I have an old Peak 1 that still comes car camping on a regular basis.  I love that stove.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 14
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If those of you with Apex stoves ever need parts let me know, I have 5 or 6 of the stoves and multiple repair kits for them.  We used them for years in our scout troop until we switched to canister stoves.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 15
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My coleman latern is a garage sale relic that I have owned for more than a decade.  It was made in 1954 and still works as good as new after a little pump work.  My floundering light is from the 1940s and still works great as well.
 Post Number: 16
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They had/have a 'Max' line loosely targeted at backpacking. I was actually considering the Hooligan, replacing the fiberglass pole.

I have a little daypack of theirs with a 1L bladder that became compromised on the '7' train going into the city. It was a catastrophic failure; it emptied in less than five seconds, causing people around me to make a wide berth.

'Is he urinating on his own stupid self?'

I was sad.

The pack itself is fine. Lightweight, perfect amount of space for a nice day loop.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Oct. 08 2013, 4:49 pm)
If those of you with Apex stoves ever need parts let me know, I have 5 or 6 of the stoves and multiple repair kits for them.  We used them for years in our scout troop until we switched to canister stoves.

chuck D I just PM'd you
 Post Number: 18
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Oct. 08 2013, 4:23 pm)

(tomas @ Oct. 07 2013, 8:03 am)

I have an old Peak 1 that still comes car camping on a regular basis.  I love that stove.

If I can get some stuff repaired on it, mostly the tube that runs from the tank to the burner, I would use it for car camping in a heartbeat.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 19
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not love Coleman products for backpacking, but I have always appreciated a product that could meet reasonable expectations for the price. My somewhat longer ago example was a 2 person Peak I Cobre tent. 2004 I think I paid $80.00US for and used it until it became so sun-stroked that it was pretty crispy. I still sold it at a garage sale. Bad photo in place here.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 20
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have and still use a Coleman Xtreme stove. Way back when I heard the Powermax canisters were being discontinued, I loaded up. I still have somewhere around 8 full cans.

I also have a very small Coleman Xcursion lantern that charges from a Powermax can and produces quite a lot of light. Not usually worth taking except in winter for light when it gets  dark so early and a bit of heat in the tent.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 21
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, you can successfully use most lindel valve canisters to refill the Coleman Excursion Lantern (if you haven't already done so!). I purchased only one PowerMax canister over the years, and have refilled my lantern 99% from a partially used MSR fuel canister. It is a good way to finish out those after trip canisters for which I had no idea how much fuel was left.

--------------
Dennis Waite
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a whole new appreciation for Coleman camping products as of this last weekend. Not that I think of them as crummy products, just not the kind of stuff I'd use backpacking. In fact I think they make some really nice durable stuff for car camping.
So this last weekend I went car camping for the weekend and my girlfriend pulls out a Coleman drip coffee maker that goes on a Coleman two burner stove. Makes 10 cups of coffee, fantastic.
21 replies since Oct. 06 2013, 6:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply If you like Coleman products...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions