2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpack size< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Johan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 5:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everyone,

Am currently pondering about the following situation and hope someone can shine some light here.

First I ordered an Osprey Atmos 65 backpack in large but soon discovered I measured my waist wrongly so I ordered a medium a few days afterwards. After almost two weeks (amazon free delivery option takes that long) it's finally in but it appears they sent me some Marmot 35 instead of the one I ordered.

Kind of annoying since I've planned a trip tomorrow for point Reyes and was really looking forward to using my new backpack instead of the old one. However, since I couldn't cancel it anymore, I do have the large Atmos 65 still laying around here and am wondering if I should keep that afterall. I have a waist size of 33-34 and the large one should be good for 33 and above. Incase I loose weight that seems a little short (the medium ranges from 28-38 or something) but the belt straps seem to have quite some length left for optionally drawing it tighter (I will not loose -that- much weight..), but possibly the belt will get uncomfortable when tightening the straps beyond 33 eventhough the straps allow so?

What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks!
Johan
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More importantly, your torso height is affected by the size.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As Tigger said, if the torso length doesn't fit, the waist belt size doesn't matter.

But if the large Atmos 65 fits your torso, keep it.  Chances of your waist getting smaller as you get older are "slim" even if you lose weight.

Doesn't the 65 have an adjustable waist belt?
 Post Number: 4
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You don't say how tall you are, but I have always needed to buy my Osprey packs in size Large for the torso length, and got a medium hip belt on any that have the option of interchangeable belts. (I am a 34 waist right now, trying get back down...)

On the styles that don't have the option I just get the Large and cinch it tight.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My torso length is 20 to 20.5 inch so that should be ok (barely).

I read somewhere:
"If you choose a pack that's too long, you'll have a hard time getting your hips to help carry the load, which is a missed opportunity, big time. Those measurements were created for a reason, so heed them!"

That makes no sense to me; when you choose a pack that is too large for your torso size, you actually run a chance that you can't balance any weight on your shoulders right?
My aim is to put no weight at all on my shoulders and I'd guess a large fulfills that aim better than a medium?
 Post Number: 6
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That would be correct. I don't know where you read that...but I agree. It makes no sense.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 1:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the head up guys, the waist provides plenty of space (anorexia is not on the horizon.. I think ;) and no shoulder touching is perfect for me.
I'm just going to take it with me and if I really don't happen to like it, I can probably still work something out.

Cheers
 Post Number: 8
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Johan @ Sep. 28 2013, 11:40 pm)
My aim is to put no weight at all on my shoulders...

Why? Weight distribution is your friend. It should be about a 65% hips, 35% shoulders distribution. With all the weight on your hips, your pack sways, and trust me, your upper buttocks begins to feel it after a couple of miles. Also, your sternum strap shouldn't be too tight, just enough to stop the sway of your pack.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 9
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Sep. 29 2013, 2:47 pm)

(Johan @ Sep. 28 2013, 11:40 pm)
My aim is to put no weight at all on my shoulders...

Why? Weight distribution is your friend. It should be about a 65% hips, 35% shoulders distribution. With all the weight on your hips, your pack sways, and trust me, your upper buttocks begins to feel it after a couple of miles. Also, your sternum strap shouldn't be too tight, just enough to stop the sway of your pack.

I have no sway and my shoulder straps basically just keep my pack against my back and that is how I was fitted from a custom pack fitter. All of the weight sits on my illiac crest. I have found this to be much more comfortable than previous packs I wore (that were too small). No more raw shoulders for me...

--------------
8 replies since Sep. 28 2013, 5:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpack size
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions