2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help choosing a sleeping bag< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jcypa Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 10:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need some opinions choosing a sleeping bag and I'm hoping folks here might be able to help. I'm planning on doing some backpacking mostly in state parks and AT in the mid-Atlantic and New England areas. No winter camping, so I'm looking at bags in the 15-20 degree range. I'm on a budget so I'd like to stay at $150 or less. I've been going back and forth between the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 and the Marmot Trestle 15. I also looked at this Koppen bag, but don't know anything about the brand.  http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17337256  I have seen this on sale for around $115 recently so I've been considering it as well. Any opinions on these 3 bags?

I'm not loyal to down or synthetic fill at this point so I'd love to hear thoughts there as well. I understand the pros and cons of each but I'm wondering if you've had experience with a particular type of synthetic that has performed exceptionally well or a down bag you had particular problems with, that sort of thing.  

Also, anybody know if the stuff sack that comes with the Kelty is adequate or will I definitely need to pick up a compression sack as well? Thanks a lot for the help!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i started with a synthetic bag (mountain hardware something) and it didn't seem to hold to it's rating for very long. i took good care of it, but now i only trust it down to 35, rather than it's 20* rating.

my first down bag (REI downtime 15*) has been going strong for 6 years, so far. and it packs way smaller.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a synthetic above 40F, and a down bag below that.  Since you have a budget, shop, shop, and shop some more until you find a great deal on a down bag.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen that Koppen bag...I should google reviews but never got around to it.  

Sierra Trading Post has a Marmot down bags on sale and if you sign up you can get a pretty decent 600 fill bag for under $150.  

Look around like TDale said...there are bargains coming.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a 20 degree down bag from Marmot and really like it.  As for the choice between down and synthetic, IMO, there's no question - go with down.  Lighter, better insulation and it'll last a lot longer.  A much better investment in the long run on all accounts.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll take any down bag over it's synthetic counterpart. I've not heard of the Koppen bag. Marmot makes quality stuff in general although I haven't specifically "touched" that bag.

As mentioned, search and search again online at STP and other online stores if you want to score a big win. Finding down bags under $150 can be a tough search in the first place but doable. I picked up a quality +40 750 fill bag for $120 so I know it can be done.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the thoughts so far. Great stuff. I've looked for reviews of the Koppen bag and found nothing outside of the Dicks website. I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to house brands but if I can still get the sale price (it was between $100 and $115) it could be hard to pass up. I feel like the Kelty is a pretty safe bet from what I've read. I really like some of the features on the Marmot, but it is a synthetic bag, and you are all pretty much backing up my gut feeling of going with down over synthetic.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look for a Marmot Sawtooth.  You might find one at a decent price.  (I see one for $160 at o2 gear).
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That Sawtooth is really nice. It looks like they sold out of the $160 model. I keep getting a price of $229. I'll keep looking around for a good price on that one. I had looked at those earlier and really liked them but they were more than I wanted to spend. If I can find one close to $150 I'll grab that. Thanks again.
 Post Number: 10
obwan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dear Jcypa,

I thought I would respond to this thread by offering general thoughts on buying a sleeping bag rather than a "buy this one" approach.

There is a lot of information out there by companies looking to get you to buy their product. However, it is important to cut through the marketing jargon so that readers can know what they are getting for their money. Buying a sleeping bag is so much more than considering things such as down, weight, and comfort limit.

May I suggest to other readers that are looking at this thread with a view to buying a sleeping bag that you conduct a thorough and methodical bit of research using the following steps:

1. Find out about the key things to look at in sleeping bags. The following link gives a good starting point:

How to choose a sleeping bag

Once you have got a few ideas of things to have, I would advise looking at a website with some good side-by-side comparison data. Here is an example:

Down sleeping bag comparison

Synthetic sleeping bag comparison

Make a spreadsheet as you go along and feel free to check out the companies websites as well.

By now you should have narrowed your search down to a few sleeping bags that fit your needs. Once you have done this, then look at in depth reviews and see what others have said.

Then buy.

Hope this is useful,

OBwan
 Post Number: 11
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few tricks are to be patient, be ready to pull the trigger, and don't necessarily look at brand names, but deals.

I got my GoLite Adrenaline 800 FP 0* down bag for $176. But it wasn't until the stars aligned. Thanks to a clearance sale and a deep discount code, I got a really good bag at a really good price.

There's this: LL Bean $150, 20*, 2lb 12oz, 650 FP bag.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 12
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Oct. 02 2013, 4:35 pm)

Wow, that's an amazing price. I'm very fond of LL Bean down bags. I've owned three (zero, 20, and 35). All excellent.
 Post Number: 13
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also keep running into this damned thing: Downright 21 Voyager 20 Degree F Down Mummy Sleeping Bag. $93? What's the deal? Anyone? 550 FP, 3 lbs. Not bad for a budget BP'er...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again for all the wisdom here. I checked out a lot of the sites suggested here and did a bit more reading. Found a Marmot Sawtooth 15 degree bag for $147 before tax/shipping so I ordered that. I think it will work out well.
 Post Number: 15
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've bought two Western Mountaineering bags here on the forums at very reasonable prices.

Add a few bucks for down wash and you can go first class for around the same amount of money if you have a little patience.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 16
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Oct. 03 2013, 2:47 pm)
Add a few bucks for down wash and you can go first class for around the same amount of money if you have a little patience.

+1
Patience is key.  Doesn't even have be used gear, per se.  If you know what you want and don't need to get it "right now!", deals can be had pretty well on places like STP clearance sales, SteepAndCheap, REI garage sales, and the like.  When you get "lucky" (which isn't really the right term if you're biding your time), pull the trigger.

Some of my most valuable backpacking equipment I've gotten for 50+% off by just sitting tight and keeping an eye peeled.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
mattofcarlisle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like my Kelty bag - Mine is the "Kelty Trekker 20 degree w/ Down" - it is identical to the Cosmic in every way, except name.   I got mine at Target for $50 - in addition to 3 more for my kids.
I agree - do a little research, then "pull the trigger" when the opportunity arises".
 Post Number: 18
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mattofcarlisle @ Oct. 04 2013, 10:36 am)
I like my Kelty bag - Mine is the "Kelty Trekker 20 degree w/ Down" - it is identical to the Cosmic in every way, except name.   I got mine at Target for $50 - in addition to 3 more for my kids.
I agree - do a little research, then "pull the trigger" when the opportunity arises".

Actually, I use my Kelty more than any of the other bags.  Mines a light year +25 which is really a 40 degree bag.  If I could get this bag with 850 fill I'd really love it.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 19
mattofcarlisle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine is more like a 30 degree bag than a 20 - they were fairly optimistic with the rating.  A friend has the Cosmic down 0 degree bag.  He uses that down to 20 or so.
 Post Number: 20
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good buy on the sawtooth. Every time I google search this topic for new folks I always end up thinking the sawtooth is the best quality bag in the price range.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. The bag is supposed to arrive today so I'll let you know what I think.
20 replies since Oct. 02 2013, 10:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help choosing a sleeping bag
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions