2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: thinking about a winter bag, questions on rei expedition -20 bag< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
booyah Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 2:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have one of these?
http://www.rei.com/product/801839/rei-expedition-20-sleeping-bag

Seems reasoanbly attractive to me, the reviews I've read said its not REALLY a -20 degree bag, but acceptable for a < 0 bag.

specs seem reasonable 3lb10oz, 700/800 fill goose, price is right, and its REI, so theres that.

Really looking for a bag for that 10f to -10f range bag, and this seems to fit that bill pretty reasonably.  My other goto option was a marmot never summer 0, but the en rating reviews on that make me think its more of a 5f to 15f bag than a 0f bag...

what do you use for this temp range, and got any suggestions for under $400?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use my 1lb, 6oz +40 Golite Featherlite that I paid $120 and wear my clothes to bed.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

booyah, I have the Marmot 0 and love it, however it is definitely (for me) a 5 - 10 degree bag for comfort.  I'm a cold sleeper I guess.  I've tested it down to 7 degrees and was okay, but wasn't 'warm'.

Ironically enough I had bag envy on a trip to Mt. Washington where one of the members of the group had the -20 degree Marmot bag, I know not the REI - but similar, and he ended up being cold all night and I was warm.  His pad had something to do with his cold sleep I think.

Hey with REI the worst you can do is buy it, test it and within a year, return it if not happy.

Warm water bottles have been known to keep the bag warmer to.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 4
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hikingFF77,
I'm seriously looking at the Marmot Lithium MemBrain.  Is that the one you have?

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 5
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Mountain Hardwear -15 Lamina.

You can get it on sale for well under $150 at STP if you are on their email list.  It is last years insulation type but it is excellent.  I just bought one for a friend of mine and  w/my discount it is $125...but now I have to pay sales tax as TJ Maxx bought STP.

I've had it down to it's temp rating w/no issues.  Yeah heavy at 5 lbs but it compresses smaller than the REI bag which is my main concern with winter gear.  I can deal w/weight, bulk is the killer for me.

It is really an impressive bag for that kind of $$...Plus STP has a great return policy as well.

One day I need to meet up w/Tigger.....I admire his system but I don't think I could do test it any farther than my back yard...and it rarely gets that cold at my house.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 6
obwan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dear Booyah,

It sounds from the thread as though you have already made the decision to go with a down bag. I think that this is reasonable because the space:weight ratio is the best.

As you have rightly pointed out, many companies post a "comfort limit" and an extreme temperature limit." The extreme temperature rating is worth its weight in cabbage leaves. The comfort limit is important but (and here is the big but) it is a number that is to some extent also plucked out of the sky.

When assessing temperature rating there are two sources that you can use:
1. Filling (which you allude to). This will provide a guide
2. Comfort ratings coupled with decent reviews

There are a bucket load of other things to consider when you are thinking about temperature. For example, you could have a sleeping bag with a decent fill of goose down but has no baffle around the chest or zip so you can wick heat through there.

May I suggest to other readers that are looking at this thread with a view to buying a sleeping bag that you conduct a thorough and methodical bit of research using the following steps:

1. Find out about the other things to look at in sleeping bags. The following link gives a good starting point:

How to choose a sleeping bag

Once you have got a few ideas of things to have, I would advise looking at a website with some good side-by-side comparison data. Here is an example:

Down sleeping bag comparison

Synthetic sleeping bag comparison

By now you should have narrowed your search down to a few sleeping bags that fit your needs. Once you have done this, then look at in depth reviews and see what others have said.

Then buy.

Hope this is useful,

OBwan
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you wanna blow more dough??

The MH Banshee @STP...$335

The MH Wraith -20...a true expedition bag w/proof ...$370

MH Phantom 0  $300

Sierra Designs Nitro  0 $235

These prices are w/my discount, not sure how long you need to be signed up to get that...

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that this is reasonable because the space:weight ratio is the best.

true until Mountain Hardwear did the Lamina Series

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger - I've read your stuff before, but I think I just sleep too cold...  Most of the nastier nights in bag involved a 0-15 degree bag, and I ran out of room inside for clothes, then piled them ontop, only to still wake up shivering.  Part of my problem is I'm a biggish guy 6' 220 lb mostly across the shoulders, so I run out of room inside a bag long before I run outta clothes.

hikingFF77 - Well familiar with the hot water bottle trick, been doing that for years, the other winner is the candle lantern in the tent.  Much nicer on a cold cold night.

obwan -  no worries as I've been around the block (there and back again, through the black gates of mordor, etc) a few times now.  No worries on the methodology for the selection, just looking if anyone had gotten hands on one (they didnt have one at my REI last time I was there), or had one and had something to contribute.

wcolucci - Thanks for the ideas, I'll have to check those out.  Really interested in a down bag, as weight is a concern, and if bulk is too bad I can just pull the pulk.  Also the synths I've had dont last as long, I dont want to buy another winter bag if I can help it.  Can you send me a link?  I have a STP account but opted out of the notifications, that might suite my needs perfectly

Anyone get their hands on one or spend a night in one?
 Post Number: 10
joshandthedog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just got my EMS mountain light 0 for 350 delivered. If you sign up for there rewards program you get a 15% off email. Plus use the current $50 off $200 deal and it will work out nicely. I'm in NY so I paid tax but if you live in other parts of the country you could save more.

I had to call in to get the deal. Doesn't work on the web. I told the guy I had a 15% off coupon from signing up for the rewards program. Didn't verify anything after that.

Looking forward to testing out this bag!

Btw he said the promotion is good till October 6
 Post Number: 11
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with Tigger. I say go with a quilt. I am 5 ft 10 and weigh about 225-230 lbs., and I love my quilts. I use a GoLite 40 degree down and I also just purchased an Enlightened Eguipment 40 degree synthetic prodigy..I plan on useing the synthetic with my tarp if its gonna be nasty rain. Both are awesome quilts with plenty of room in them for me. I also use a GoLite 20 degree down quilt and I have slept outside, down to about 10 degrees, with no shelter,on just my neo-air inflateable and a small size closed cell foam pad, with snow on ground. I was comfortable all night with my smartwool base layers.  I would say to at least check out quilts if you think sleeping bags are not roomy enough for you.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 12
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I do now is use a good quilt that is rated to 30F. Then add down pants,  a down jacket, and I also have a down balaclava if it is really cold. This works well into the single digits.

I figure I have to hang around camp and nothing beats a nice pair of down pants and a nice  down jacket for that time. Adding it to my sleep system has worked well.  Might be a bit out of the price range but should be close

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 13
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 02 2013, 12:50 pm)
One day I need to meet up w/Tigger.....I admire his system but I don't think I could do test it any farther than my back yard...and it rarely gets that cold at my house.

It took me several years of trials hauling two bags, before I was willing to let go of my winter "rated" bag. After a while, I realized that it was just...working and switched full-time.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It took me several years of trials hauling two bags,

Good idea.....hate to admit I would not have thought of that.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Booyah,  Sent a pm w/the link...hope it works.

btw, Big silk posted about teh LL Bean 20 in another thread but look at this....

http://www.llbean.com/llb....1216848

750 fill....-20....that is a tremendous deal.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(retired reddog @ Oct. 02 2013, 3:11 pm)
hikingFF77,
I'm seriously looking at the Marmot Lithium MemBrain.  Is that the one you have?

No, mine isn't the Lithium version.  I love my bag, minus it's a little small on me.

It's a good enough bag for me.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 17
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I gotta stop coming to this damned forum.

After reading this thread and some of the others on bags, I thought about my longtime lust for the Valandre SB.

Yeah, I found it "on sale" (not much of a sale, IMO, esp. for a bag that BackCountry lists as having a rating of "29 degrees", and for which they want $750! They may be wrong about the rating - BC has been making a lot of mistakes lately.)
BackCountry.com - Valandre Expedition Shocking Blue Sleeping Bag: 29 Degree Down

But I pulled the trigger. Thanks, you guys...
 Post Number: 18
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3 lbs 1 oz, 29 degrees, 850 fill down...

$750

does. not. compute.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 03 2013, 1:09 pm)
3 lbs 1 oz, 29 degrees, 850 fill down...

$750

does. not. compute.

Yeah, definitely. Not the first time I've found such errors on that merchant's site. I once actually (stupidly) called them when I saw a multi-fuel stove I had paid under $100 for listed for nearly $300. I told them I didn't think they'd sell that many at the price they had listed. They ignored me. Of course.

FYI: I didn't buy the bag from them. I only saved ~$80, but the guys I bought it from have a little more savvy than that.

And, yes, I know how incredibly stupid I am. I succumbed to "lust", and that's never a good deal...
 Post Number: 20
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My zero degree bag is a Marmot Couloir...haven't used it anywhere near zero, but I do use it most anytime I expect temps to be  a few degrees below freezing.....better to have a little to much bag than not quite enough IMO....unless, of course, you're Tigger....

I guess I'm something of a bag horder....got two Western Mountaineering bags, two Marmots, and a Kelty...

A fellow can't have to many bags....or at least that's what I was told here on the gear forum....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 21
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have that rei bag. I'm pretty sure HikingFF77 is referring to me on the Mt. Washington trip. lol
I was cold, but I am quite certain it had to do with my pad deflating several times through the night. The bag is nice. Probably not a true -20 though. I'd say more like 0 or -5.
Here is a link to a thread I posted some pics in.
Link
 Post Number: 22
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I happened to get it for a steal at an rei garage sale. So for me it has been worth every penny. Do not pay retail. EVER.
I think REI has a 20% off coupon right now actually.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 7:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a link to a thread I posted some pics in.

Nice to see Nature Boy again in that thread  :D

A fellow can't have to many bags....or at least that's what I was told here on the gear forum....

You are correct...but i think I may sell a few summer bags and a three season to "justify" another winter bag for myself...err.... for a LOANER

--------------
 Post Number: 24
outbackpacker3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a sea to summit micro mc2 it's extreme temp rating is around 5 degrees and the lower limit is 36 but with a thermolite reactor extreme liner that will take me down to 8-15 degrees lower limit (don't have the liner yet but reviews give it that range) couple that with the roughly 10 degrees gained from dead air in the tent (as far as I know tents aren't factored into en temp ratings) I'm at around a 0 degree bag.

I've never seen a reason to spend the extra money on a bag like the one you're looking at when you can get a much cheaper bag and a liner for way less. My bag was $115 less than the list price thanks to a close out on another site and backcountry price matching.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(outbackpacker3 @ Oct. 04 2013, 11:24 pm)
I have a sea to summit micro mc2 it's extreme temp rating is around 5 degrees and the lower limit is 36 but with a thermolite reactor extreme liner that will take me down to 8-15 degrees lower limit (don't have the liner yet but reviews give it that range) couple that with the roughly 10 degrees gained from dead air in the tent (as far as I know tents aren't factored into en temp ratings) I'm at around a 0 degree bag.

I've never seen a reason to spend the extra money on a bag like the one you're looking at when you can get a much cheaper bag and a liner for way less. My bag was $115 less than the list price thanks to a close out on another site and backcountry price matching.

outbackpacker3:

To me its more about if its -5f, will I still be able to sleep reasonably on a good mat, out of the weather in a good tent, without shivering the night away.

I usually buy gear based on the worst conditions I will knowingly still go out in, but often times the weather gets MUCH worse than it was forecast.  In those scenarios, a bag rated to -20f (even if optimistic) gives me more comfort with my down jacket over me, and my legs in my pack, and three hot water bottles tucked around me, than a bag rated at 30f and a liner that should get me to 15f :D

Its not often that I see it when I'm not backpacking, but it seems that every time I AM during the winter the weather forecasters are trying to kill me.

Its happened on more than one occasion they were off by 30+ degrees.  And while the difference between a forecast of 85f and reality of 50f can be uncomfortable, the difference between a forecast of 20f, and reality of -15f gets down right sucky.
 Post Number: 26
JonW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have this bag in long.  I have used it once.  It was below zero and the bag was too warm.  I was sleeping under a tarp.  If interested in purchasing my bag, let me know.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JonW sent you a PM, let me know if you didnt get it
 Post Number: 28
outbackpacker3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Booyah:

I get what you're saying I'm kinda the same way. But I prefer buying a bag that has a higher temp rating  then using liners and stuff to bring it down when necessary not saying you should get the same bag but you can get away with out a -20 bag.

However I also tend to sleep warm
 Post Number: 29
JonW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(booyah @ Oct. 08 2013, 11:23 am)
JonW sent you a PM, let me know if you didnt get it

PM replied
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, it was you I was referring to.  I think if you used a smaller pad and the good old fashion blue pad, you'd have been much warmer.

Plus, being up on the platform is hard because you cannot heat up the platform enough to retain any heat.

--------------
31 replies since Oct. 02 2013, 2:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply thinking about a winter bag
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions