2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stove conversion questions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
outbackpacker3 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So looking around on amazon today I found this
http://www.amazon.com/Lightwe....g+stove
I was wondering if it would be possible to convert it to a liquid fuel stove I normally wouldn't consider this but for the $8 it costs it might be a worthwhile project. What I'm thinking is attach some stands and find a fuel line to fit the stove and a MSR fuel bottle. Past that what else can you think of? New jets other stuff etc.... What do you guys think?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know very little about stoves, however your question clearly tells me that you know even less.
So the answer is, unless you are prepared to put a LOT of time and invest a considerable amount of money in the project, it isn't going to work.
Those burner heads are (or should be...) designed to match the fuel used.
That is the tricky part of multi-fuel stoves.
But anyway you cannot just feed liquid fuel into the head, it needs to be vapourised before it can burn the way it should.
look above the burner
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a recipe for disaster.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok just a thought thanks any way
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

outbackpacker3
I was deliberately harsh with my choice of words to make the point clear because it is indeed very dangerous to fiddle with these types of stoves, and believe me I have a strong dislike for warning signs ( slippery when wet...)
Alcohol stoves on the other hand are more forgiving.
I have donated eyebrows and back of hand hair to the cause but apart from my ego the rest of me is still OK.
 Post Number: 6
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I once connected a fuel pump from a Primus Multifuel stove to a MSR Windpro cannister stove. I even changed out the jet in the Windpro stove for a jet from a MSR Simmerlight white gas stove. I felt pretty confident that this would work well and I'd have a nice, relatively light multifuel stove that would simmer well and wouldn't sound like F-15 taking off. What I got was a stove that performed very poorly, producing a mostly orange-yellow, dirty flame. Judging from the smell, I could tell that it wasn't burning fuel very efficiently. The engineers that design stoves for the major manufacturers seem to know what they are doing, more so than the average tinkerer at least.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Franco no hard feelings I can understand what you meant. I was thinking of more than just the fuel pump and jet like adding a generator tube priming cup and wick maybe salvaging parts from a stove that had minor damage like a broken pot support or something like that but if it's not possible then it's not possible
 Post Number: 8
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Besides.......Not sure I'd be comfortable with a canister or gas stove that is that cheap in $$.  The old adage is 'you get what you pay for'  Not saying backpacking equipment isn't over priced tho..... Just watch for sales and get a decent brand.
7 replies since Oct. 02 2013, 7:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stove conversion questions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions