2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Calling All Bivy Sleepers!, Winter Use< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 8:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking into possibly using a bivy for fast & light winter backpacking... Getting away from a tent is a new world for me, ANY information about this subject is helpful!

Thank you in advance!!!

--------------
Sláinte
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you expecting snow on your winter trips?

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes!

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bivy user here - Brutal existence. Stick with a tent...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 5
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 3:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bivied for a few winter trips, but soon went back to a tent.  I once had a MLD bivy made of Epic fabric back when it was "all that".  I thought it would breathe great.  It did...up until the condensation from my body heat mixed with the zero degree temps and iced up all the pores in the Epic fabric.  The ice was on the inside of my bivy!  It was a miserable night that I never repeated.  I use a Hilleberg tent in winter now.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 6
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 6:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not use a tarp(cuben)? I recently started useing MLD Patrol shelter. Weighs about 7 ounces with stakes and guylines. I also use a Bear Paw Wilderness bug bivy(10 ounces)... For, you guessed it, when its buggy out. If its not buggy and not going to rain or snow, I can use the bivy as a ground sheet and sleep out "cowboy" style. If I need the tarp, I can easily pitch that for weather protection and again I have the option of useing the bivy under the tarp however needed. There are multiple options here. I can pitch the Patrol Shelter hi off the ground or tight to the ground..depending on weather. I can also make all the height adjustments from under it. If it is raining, I can pitch it first and take it down last..keeping my other gear dry.  Yes, I can also sit up near one end of the tarp, but no, I can not stand and stretch. Still, much more room then just a bivy and no condensation. All of this for a pound.1. I considered a bivy at one point, but I am glad I went the way I did. I may never use my tents again...

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 6:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used a bivy for several years and it can work most times in winter but can be a royal pain others. I went back to a tent after spending a day and half huddled in a bivy during a blizzard. Can't do anything in one under those conditions.

with stakes and guylines.

Note that specialized snow stakes or other securing means are required in deep snow and none work very well in several feet of powder.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fast and light winter backpacking? That's right up there with "government efficiency."

You need more calories, more water, more insulation and more skills to survive a real winter experience... A tent will be safer. If you're expecting winter snow and winter wind, a 4 season tent is safer. Anything longer than a night out and you'd be safer with a 4 season tent. A "light" winter load can easily be heavier than my heaviest 3 season load...

A 2.5 pound GoLite Shangri-La 3 will win a spot in my pack over a bivy any day - room for gear, room for cooking if it storms, room for a friend. Cause you shouldn't winter camp alone...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 9
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

" Fast and light winter backpacking? That's right up there with "government efficiency."

Best quote I have seen in a long time.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Oct. 03 2013, 9:37 am)
Fast and light winter backpacking? That's right up there with "government efficiency."

HAHAHAAAAAAA LOVE IT!!! :p

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The extra long winter nights, the close to impossible task of keeping dry, the lack of any serious shelter from any sort of big storm (and they come up fast): I've better shelters at just about the same or slightly greater weight so why choose the least satisfactory option?

In summer I sleep shleterless by default, in Winter (California Sierra) it makes no sense to me to do so.

Do you have enough snow depth so carrying snow cave and igloo making tools would provide an option? But then the weights gone back up....

As above floorless can work great in winter on snowpack. My goto for then are a pair of Chouinard MegaMids single pole mids that offer a lot of sheltered area for the weight. I save my Cuben Mountain Laurel Designs SoloMid (11 ozs.) for summers when I just need the occasional shelter (as above plus or minus the bugnet inner).
 Post Number: 12
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[QUOTE]Fast and light winter backpacking? That's right up there with "government efficiency."

I definitely like your quote, however I never intended on giving the assumption of being UL. I am simply weighing options and considering alternatives. I really don't have enough solid justification for leaving a tent behind, that's all!

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 13
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My go to shelter for winter is a 4 season Golite Shangri-La 5 (5 man) fly (floorless). 2lbs, 10 oz including pole, palatial (I can stand up in it, cook inside without fear), and is in my opinion, a near perfect winter shelter. It's literally one pound more than my bivy (which I also bring as backup).

--------------
 Post Number: 14
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger,

Anymore interior shots?

I'd like to see your set up.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 15
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hanging out during a storm

Homemade gear loft.

Headlamp hung above gear loft for soft ambient lighting during winter nights (translucent silnylon)

After stuff has been taken out

Bivy and tarp on shelf with cold pit dug. Three of us fit comfortably in winter. I would not want more than that though.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that the pole that comes / the Shangri-La?

My apologies spaceman for the hijack but I am examining my winter shelter set up as well

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 17
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 03 2013, 9:01 am)
Is that the pole that comes / the Shangri-La?

My apologies spaceman for the hijack but I am examining my winter shelter set up as well

Yes. I think it's .5 inch and has about 8 - 12 inches at the bottom that has a click lock system to heighten the pole depending on ground level conditions (you can see one of the holes for the click lock in this pic).

I did end up making this little contraption to keep the pole from sinking into the ground in soft snow out of various things found at Home Depot.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used a GoreTex bivy from 3-season to winter overnights.  It's pretty "snug" and warm - just need to watch for internal condensation and (of course) have some sort of tarp or overhang for falling snow during the long nights of winter.  That same "snugness" kind of made it "clammy" for 3-season pursuits where the evenings were warm before cooling down.

Might go back to a lighter one with a little silnylon if my knee keeps acting up; my winter shelter now is the (discontinued) Big Agnes eVent Sarvis 1+

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 19
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Oct. 03 2013, 3:16 am)
Why not use a tarp(cuben)? I recently started useing MLD Patrol shelter. Weighs about 7 ounces with stakes and guylines. I also use a Bear Paw Wilderness bug bivy(10 ounces)... For, you guessed it, when its buggy out. If its not buggy and not going to rain or snow, I can use the bivy as a ground sheet and sleep out "cowboy" style. If I need the tarp, I can easily pitch that for weather protection and again I have the option of useing the bivy under the tarp however needed. There are multiple options here. I can pitch the Patrol Shelter hi off the ground or tight to the ground..depending on weather. I can also make all the height adjustments from under it. If it is raining, I can pitch it first and take it down last..keeping my other gear dry.  Yes, I can also sit up near one end of the tarp, but no, I can not stand and stretch. Still, much more room then just a bivy and no condensation. All of this for a pound.1. I considered a bivy at one point, but I am glad I went the way I did. I may never use my tents again...

Hey, who knew?  I also have used my Patrol Shelter in the winter.  This was more of an experiment than anything and was only a mile from the parking lot.  As expected, the weather cooperated and I COULD have just cowboy camped.  

Here it is on Mt. Rainier this past January.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow. Nice picture. Glad to see that it worked out well for you.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 21
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

spac3man

I have a bivy that is now on a bit past it's half life, an OR Advanced Bivy. I have not used it in a deep Wyoming winter and hopefully never will. It does go in my extended day pack for winter hikes, but only as an emergency shelter.

I have had some bad experiences with its breathability at 15-25 deg F icing inside or out. When the ice or freezing fog comes in, the breathabilty of the GTX ends, and the sweat soaked freeze-out begins.

I won't say I entirely regret ever buying, and it easily has 50 bag nights in it now across three seasons, but I do not think I ever thought the thing was remotely pleasant or felt, "gee, I am glad I brought the bivy this trip".

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 22
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a Bibler bivy that I've used a lot for UL spring skiing trips -- 1 to 3 nights, 20 lb. pack, no tent, no stove. Caution, these trips only done with excellent, highly vetted weather forecasts, reasonably good "fire exits". Night time low temperature typically 25.

Plus. Bivy is light, small footprint, ultra quick setup, takedown. Incredible cocoon if you need to hunker down from wind.

Minus. "Envelope style" zipper, across the chest. This gets old. You need to slither in and out.  And "in" is cozy, ok if you're asleep but . . . My next one would have a zipper that goes some of the way down towards my waist, allowing me to be more relaxed while "half in/half out", sorting gear from my sleeping bag, eating or whatever.

I'm also noticing Andy Skurka using some of the "new style" UL bivys that weigh a half pound, material highly water resistant but probably not as much as G-T or similar, and combining that with a solo megamid type tarp. Total weight of tarptent and bivy seems to be right about 2 lb. Interesting.
21 replies since Oct. 02 2013, 8:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Calling All Bivy Sleepers!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions