2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A new pot< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 7:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a bit of GSI stuff I like, but for one of my stoves, which I'll be using more, the Pinnacle Soloist pot is a bit narrow at 4.25" diameter.  I've heard lots of good things about Snow Peak, so I looked at them and the 0.9L pot (part of the Trek 900 set) is 4.75" diameter, and it looks like that 1/2 inch could make all the difference as far as stability and safety.  It's 0.2L less than my Soloist, but that should be OK.  This is for solo trips, so anything around 1.0L is fine.

Any other suggestions?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you cook or only boil? GSI has an anodized kettle for boiling that's about as wide as you can get for BPing, very light, and pretty cheap.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 3
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I have the kettle, but sometimes cook rather than boil, so I'm looking for more of a pot than a kettle.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Evernew Ti. non-stick .9 liter pot. 4.8 oz for pot and lid, Dimensions (HxD): 2.5x5.4 in /6.4x13.6 cm

I actually wanted the un-coated version because all I do is boil, but it's been a great pot. Also has a built-in spout for pouring which strangely is my favorite feature.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

new pot

Damn. Got my hopes up until you mentioned cooking....  :p

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 05 2013, 10:38 am)
new pot

Damn. Got my hopes up until you mentioned cooking.... :p

That "new" pot is causing lots of problems.

If you're using an alcohol stove you need a pot about 6" wide.  That's why the tea kettle style kettles work so well.  I've got an old 1 liter pot that's wide and low and works great as well.  Problem is, it's stainless steel.  As in heavier that Al or Ti.

Maybe you could get a heavier pot for trips when you know you want to cook.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

does it have to be ti how about al like open country 2 qt pot
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(shaunkad @ Oct. 05 2013, 1:01 pm)
does it have to be ti how about al like open country 2 qt pot

Actually for "real cooking" hard anodized aluminum is a superior cooking pot in my experience. I love my Ti kettle but for light weight and boiling water: where even heat distribution isn't an issue.

Btw: people differ on what they mean by "cooking" so what are you intending to "cook"? Might help with the selection of the right tool out of the wide selection available.
 Post Number: 9
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

shaunkad, I don't have any Ti at the moment, but am open to the idea.  It has advantages and disadvantages compared to Al as HSF mentions.

Now that I think of it, cooking would be more things like rice and fish.  Fish would work better in a pan, whereas things like rice (which is essentially boiling water with something in it) could work in either, but I'd want a lid to save time and fuel.  I have a small MSR skillet, but I forget which one.

I'm really thinking about a pot at this point rather than a pan.

The Evernew pot Tigger mentioned looks good.  Something about 5" should be enough.  My GSI Soloist pot is 4.75 tall, and if I lay it sideways it looks like it makes enough contact with the burner arms to be stable.

The stove with has more or less precipitated this need is the Optimus Nova, which has a larger open area in the middle of the burner than a typical canister stove.

My canister stoves work fine with the smaller diameter pots.
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't cook fish in Ti.  I have a Snow Peak Ti pan with some anti-stick coating, but I wouldn't cook fish on it without a whole bunch of butter.
 Post Number: 11
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BL, that's why I have the MSR aluminum skillet.  Judging from the specs on their site it's the smaller Quick Skillet.
 Post Number: 12
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How hard is it to find Evernew stuff in stock?  I'm looking for the 0.9L Ti pot and 400ml double wall cup with cover, and dang, hardly anyone carries them and those who do are generally out of stock - I can't find the 0.9L pot anywhere.

Is this a cyclical issue with manufacturing and/or shipping, or is this normal for Evernew?
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Evernew availability comes and goes.  They might only do a small number of production runs a year based on estimated demand.
 Post Number: 14
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is definitely a dearth of Evernew pots this time of year. It happened last year too. REI had little in the way of cookware recently and I think some of their ti pots are Evernew branded to REI. I guess it is like other outdoor sports, most folks have their kit by now this year and the retailers won't restock some things until Feb or March?

but the .9L coated ti Evernew seems to be available at Trail Designs, the caldera cone folks...

I got my 1.3L unlined Evernew pot there and that pot has gone along on hundreds of overnighters now and has served us very well. I'm using it for a tea kettle right now on our home stove while girlfriend finds a tea kettle that suits her. 1.3L is good for duos.
13 replies since Oct. 05 2013, 7:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A new pot
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions