2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Folding Bicycles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have any opinions or recommendations for a folding bicycle model that would be a good choice for taking onto a bus then cycling to a trailhead from the bus drop off point?

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you planning on riding this bike with a fully loaded backpack? I've been down that road...and it was not pleasant.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never used one so can't comment personally on them.  A lot of people swear by them and you can get panniers and special luggage to fit them.  Personally, they're not for me.  And Tigger is right, don't even consider a bicycle tour carrying your gear on your back.  It'll take about an hour or 20 miles, whichever comes first, to make you absolutely miserable.  JMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never used one so can't comment personally on them.  A lot of people swear by them and you can get panniers and special luggage to fit them.  Personally, they're not for me.  And Tigger is right, don't even consider a bicycle tour carrying your gear on your back.  It'll take about an hour or 20 miles, which ever comes first, to make you absolutely miserable.  JMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Oct. 11 2013, 11:11 pm)

Opps.  Double post.  Sorry about that.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Typically, my pack for weekend hikes is light and I have half of my gear in the rear pannier rack during the ride.   That is how I get to local hikes near Phoenix.

What I had in mind was a folding bike to take on the shuttle bus for hikes in other areas of the state and adjacent states.  I would put a rear pannier on it if it didn't come with one.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An administrative assistant had one for all her work commute. I'd suggest consider getting more of a road bike equivalent with larger wheels rather than one of the small wheel urban folders. The bus cargo bay will accommodate it just fine, though I don't know if bus companies have linear dimension limits like airlines in which case a smaller wheel line like the Bromptons might be necessary, but the larger wheels will give you a better ride over the distances.

Which models were you considering?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was debating whether to get a small wheel type like the KHS mocha or a large wheel type like the Montague paratrooper or Swissbike.

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For the on road miles the Montague Navigator looks good as opposed to more of a mountain bike, off road type, but if you'll be heading out unmaintained  roads to reach trailheads I see the logic. MBs work on roads better than road bikes work off.
 Post Number: 10
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I take it this shuttle bus has no bike rack up front nor baggage hold down below? How come? I would lobby the bus company to carry regular bikes.

How will you stash your bike safely at the trailhead?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The arizona shuttle has a trailer behind it and they allow folding bikes.   At the trailhead I usually lock my bike to the fencing.   Haven't had any problems with theft yet.

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 12
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"folding bicycles" - goes around twice and quits
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Oct. 12 2013, 4:56 pm)
The arizona shuttle has a trailer behind it and they allow folding bikes.   At the trailhead I usually lock my bike to the fencing.   Haven't had any problems with theft yet.

Is the problem the length of the trailer? Do they all bikes with the front wheel, or even both wheels removed?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They allow both wheels removed.

I looked at bike bags for non-folding bikes and they were almost as expensive as buying a new bike.

The Evoc bike bag costs $475

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 15
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 6:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about this: Shimano folding mountain bike

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That one looks nice

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So if a regular bike with both wheels removed would fit on the shuttle trailer, which wouldn't you do that?
 Post Number: 18
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Oct. 15 2013, 6:37 pm)
So if a regular bike with both wheels removed would fit on the shuttle trailer, which wouldn't you do that?

Way too big a PITA, especially when you're talking about getting the chain off the gear cassette, and readjusting brakes and stuff.

Collapsible's the way to go.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Oct. 17 2013, 4:04 pm)

Way too big a PITA, especially when you're talking about getting the chain off the gear cassette, and readjusting brakes and stuff.

Collapsible's the way to go.

It would take about 3 minutes or less to loosen the brakes and remove two wheels, or reassemble the bike. I would rather do that than ride a folding bike any significant distance, plus the added cost of a folding bike over the bike you already have, which actually fits you and suits your needs. The brakes don't usually need to be adjusted if the wheel is correctly centered, and there's no other "stuff" that I can think of. Getting the chain off the cassette takes about 3 seconds. Maybe bring some latex gloves for the chain and something to tie the wheels to the frame.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Because in addition to taking it on AZ shuttle I also plan on eventually checking it through on airlines or Amtrak

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Oct. 18 2013, 12:13 am)

Because in addition to taking it on AZ shuttle I also plan on eventually checking it through on airlines or Amtrak

I've flown with a bike (Europe and cross-country) and didn't have a problem. I put the bike in the prescribed box and attached some wheels to the bottom of the box to wheel it around the terminal. Worked great.

I've also taken a bike on Amtrak, which was exceptionally easy as neither wheel needs to be removed. Works best at nonpeak hours, of course.
20 replies since Oct. 11 2013, 10:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Folding Bicycles
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions