2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Is storing a compass in a backpack a good idea, When theres other metal/magnetic stuff< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
outbackpacker3 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 4:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I just thought of this today but I usually store my gear in my packs and I put some of the small stuff (compass, pocketknife, mini flashlight) in a pot to keep it all together. do you think this will effect the compass at all? the pot is stainless steel plus the knife and batteries. it still works but im wondering if there could be a long term effect.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only if the metal is magnetic. Otherwise, no issue at all.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 17 2013, 4:49 pm)
Only if the metal is magnetic. Otherwise, no issue at all.

+1

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok so since the pot is steel then it probably shouldn't go in there then. I'll have to find a spot for it some where else
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

UM? No, don't worry about that.

If you place a very strong magnet near the relatively weak compass needle it may effect it. You only need to be concerned about metals and magnetics altering the functioning of the compass - meaning you want to hold it away from wristwatches, metal poles, etc when it's in use. No worries about storing it.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(outbackpacker3 @ Oct. 17 2013, 5:55 pm)
Ok so since the pot is steel then it probably shouldn't go in there then. I'll have to find a spot for it some where else

Cooking pots are almost universally stainless steel for its stain resistance and that's close to always, given its nickel content,  non magnetic.
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The important question is whether storing your compass deep in your pack instead of on your person is if it's safe?

Keep your ten essentials in your pockets.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 17 2013, 8:01 pm)
The important question is whether storing your compass deep in your pack instead of on your person is if it's safe?

Keep your ten essentials in your pockets.

Pretty sure the OP is referring to at home and not on he trail.

Totally agree on the trail the compass should be on your person.
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I keep a compass on me, on my pack, and in my pack.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I keep my gear on me when I'm on the trail but to store it I keep most stuff in my packs.

High_sierra_fan
the pot is stainless steel but it is magnetic too. I thought that it was chromium and steel for stainless not nickel.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(outbackpacker3 @ Oct. 18 2013, 7:02 am)
Yeah I keep my gear on me when I'm on the trail but to store it I keep most stuff in my packs.

High_sierra_fan
the pot is stainless steel but it is magnetic too. I thought that it was chromium and steel for stainless not nickel.

Chromium and steel make stainless: nickel added disrupts the magnetic aspect.

"As for whether they are magnetic, the answer is that it depends. There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery. However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic. "

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae546.cfm

I expect I should have phrased that "depending" on it's nickel content....
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok I see. Mine definitely doesn't have nickel I tested it with a magnet and it stuck to it pretty good
 Post Number: 13
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(outbackpacker3 @ Oct. 18 2013, 8:02 am)

High_sierra_fan

I think people are confusing magnetic with magnetized.

A compass can only be damaged if you put it close to another magnet.  Putting it close to something made of metal will have no effect.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The admonition about about iron extends and supports the OP's concern: a casual search hit this about avoiding both iron (steel that would attract a magnet) and magnetic field generating items when storing a magnet, though it didn't expand on why..

http://www.ehow.com/how_5946827_store-magnetic-compass.html

"Keep the compass in a closet or other area where it will not interact with magnetic or iron-containing materials. If you keep it in the closet, store it away from any heavy belt buckles. Do not keep the compass in the garage, as the magnetic field generated by electric motors may damage the compass.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup pretty much if it can mess up the direction of the needle it can damage it over the long term is what I've found here and other places online I also found that if your compass isn't pointing north that you can use a strong magnet and align the needle with the North Pole of the magnet to put it back to normal.

That point about electric motor is interesting I wonder what a car with an electric motor would do to a compass something like a Volt or a Prius or Tesla?
14 replies since Oct. 17 2013, 4:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Is storing a compass in a backpack a good idea
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions