2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Budget hiking pants?, Can't justify 60 bucks for nylon< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 9:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone know any good budget hiking pants brands? I really can't justify spending 60+ dollars for nylon (an extremely cheap material).
I've spent a bit of cash on them in the past, but if I can find something good for cheap that would be great.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know of any good inexpensive brands, but I do buy name brand, high quality backpacker worthy clothing at the local second hand stores.  Of course shopping at St. Vincent de Paul requires more patience than shopping at REI.
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get them at Sierra Trading Post for 20-30 bucks a pair. And then after a few months, holes appear and seams wear out.

So I dropped 70 bucks on a pair of Kuhls, which are doing great four months later.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 1:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't go cheap on hiking pants. All you need is one good pair of zip-off REI Saharas, and they'll last you for years. (40 - 50$ during sales.)
 Post Number: 5
collama Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 5:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, Sierra trading post often has Columbia and other solid brands for less than $40.
 Post Number: 6
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 6:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might be able to find them cheaper. I've been in the outdoors since some loon named Noah was building a boat in a field. Aint no better pants or shorts at ANY price. I've owned them all. In the old daze I liked Patagonias but I havent had a pair since.......late 70's ? :(  :ghostface:
http://www.amazon.com/AFTCO-Bluewater-MP01-Fishing-Pants/dp/B0062PVNSK

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 7
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 7:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just got back from a pretty rough weekend in Wolf Lake Ste Forest with granite climbs.....a few unintentional slides, loads of blow down we had to cross,  bramble choked trails and a rather uncomfortable stump I sat on Saturday night and my cheap Columbia rain pants ($20 at Marshalls), are still in one piece.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 8
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

for lighter duty, I like Canyon Creek convertible pants.  I have two pairs and they are as good as any other convertible hiking pant I have had.

for heavier duty I like 65/35 Poly/cotton BDU pants, or rail riders rock jeans (RRs are rarely below $70 though)  One pair of rock jeans I have have lasted over 6 years as daily business wear, as well as various back country outings and still look new...
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ Oct. 22 2013, 1:57 am)
Don't go cheap on hiking pants. All you need is one good pair of zip-off REI Saharas, and they'll last you for years. (40 - 50$ during sales.)

I have a couple of REI Saharas - one has the five inch hole in the seat, the other has paper-thin about to tear places down the back.

They did last a couple of years, but ultimately there's too much granite and too many manzanita and downed trees.

Going every weekend? get something thicker.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 10
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been using Marmot's Cruz shorts and pants through the warmer months this year. Got the pants on sale for $33.80, I think it was.
 Post Number: 11
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buy them on ebay. I've gotten most of my pants there and had great success with it. I've gotten REI, North Face and some Columbia on there at great savings.
 Post Number: 12
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on Thrift stores.   $4.99 is the going rate around these parts.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 13
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I probably wouldn't find any in my local thrift stores, as we don't really have any outfitters around. I'll give it a go though. It's worth a shot.
I've been scouring ebay and there are some pretty decent deals. Around 30 bucks seems pretty doable.
Thanks for the tips guys. If I can get just a few more pair I"ll be happy :)
Trying to move away from jeans all together.
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you don't mind heavy duty pants, I hike in my Army Surplus Gore-Tex rain shell pants. They work great for me for off-trail use. They might be a bit overkill for other styles of hike. My last two pairs cost me $30 a pair.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eddie Bauer makes some decent convertible pants that you can often get on sale for  $30-$40 if you keep your eyes open. I've had a pair for several years and they've served me very well.  Make sure you get the Eddie Bauer brand and not First Ascent as while they are good, they're a lot more expensive.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 16
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm planning to try those First Ascent Guide pants, since Marmot decided to change their Scree pants and the new ones have a different fit that doesn't work for me.
$70 for softshell pants is pretty "budget" in the whole scheme of things. Maybe they'll turn up at an outlet. Got one of their Microtherm down hoodies for half price about a month ago.
 Post Number: 17
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out some of Royal Robbins' pants on STP

I have a pair of their Billy Goat nylon pants. It's like soft ballistic nylon. Good wind protection. They've got others, too. Also, check out White Sierra. They have a pair of snow pants right now for $40, $26 if you get their deal email.

I still have hiking pants and a rain jacket from them I've been wearing for over a year now, even in town.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 18
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My $20 STP Grizzly (I think they were called) zip off pants have held up fine for like 4+ years. They have a couple stains on them, and wanted more than one decent pair of hiking pants, so started shopping around this year before the trip I had planned. Liked the Mountain Hardwear Mesa pants, and got a pair of zip off ones on amazon for a hair over $40 and a couple pairs of non zip ones for 30-some bucks on campsaver. Nice enough to pass as business casual so I wear them at the office for work.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 19
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Campmor Trekmor pants are great

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 20
Gifford Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot depends on where and when you are wearing them.

Personally I hate mosquitoes and other critters that want to chew on my legs more than I hate heat so no shorts.

For really durable, but cheap and not stylish, try a local army surplus store, likewise check on e-bay. Surplus does come in styles and colors other than camo. I am still using Korean War era surplus wool pants for winter camping and elk hunting. I got them for $10.00 more than 20 years ago.

For more $$ check out Carhardts, you will probably pass them on to your grandkids.

If you want style (Think outdoor GQ) and real usability and are willing to spend the $$ check out Filson.

Giff
 Post Number: 21
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good thread.  Both the spouse and I need new pants--after 5 or 6 years we've worn them a bit thin on the backside.  The bottom line (no pun intended.  Well, maybe a little bit of one!) is fit, though.  Neither of us is built much like the standard models, apparently.  That makes shopping on line tough, at least until we find a make and model that works.

But I got to thinking. . . neither of us zips off the legs more than about once a year anymore.  Maybe time to cut out the extras and just get hiking pants, not convertibles.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 22
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NM--danged computer weirdness and double post.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 28 2013, 10:56 am)
The bottom line (no pun intended.  Well, maybe a little bit of one!) is fit, though.  Neither of us is built much like the standard models, apparently.

Yeah that makes online shopping hard. But now a lot of places will give free return shipping. It seems most cargo pants are way baggy for my thinner build... I heard reviews that the Mountain Hardwear Mesa pants were more of a 'skinny jean' type fit and I can report they are very thin fitting not skin tight on me but they feel so better fitting than baggy pants.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 24
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For really durable, but cheap and not stylish, try a local army surplus store,

Boy I stopped by an Army Surplus Store just outside of Fort Drum NY the other day...(been dying to do that for years and I happened to be in the area...well within ten miles),

I  have to tell you I was very disappointed I was shocked at how expensive the stuff was  .....and it was augmented by a lot of new non GI issued stuff as well...and all these Ghurka knives and Japanese warrior swords from Pakistan ...it was more of a place I would imagine an end of the world whacko shopping.  Some of the stuff would obviously "work" and I did look but really no deals at this one

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 25
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been going to the local thrift stores for hiking pants for a while now.  I don't look for actual hiking pants but utilize old dress pants.  I have two pair of old wool suit pants and one pair of polyester.  I may be the best dress hiker out there.
 Post Number: 26
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got mine in the work out section at target. They have several pockets and they are nice and light and have a drawstring waist. They are sort of hip - hop looking because they were made for the zumba crowd. I just love all the pockets. Super functional. I wear long underwear with them if its cold.

They were around $30 and I think they are around 2 years old by now. I've used them on many 2 and 3 day hikes. I do some bushwacking but not a lot of scooting on my but, lol, and they are still in decent shape.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 27
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 for Columbia pants..  mine pair is going on season 3 just fine.
 Post Number: 28
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Steep and cheap

Exofficio pants for $45ish...

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 29
maariajackson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 8:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Oct. 21 2013, 9:12 pm)
Anyone know any good budget hiking pants brands? I really can't justify spending 60+ dollars for nylon (an extremely cheap material).
I've spent a bit of cash on them in the past, but if I can find something good for cheap that would be great.

I don't any cheap brands but yes I can suggest you some brands that I always used to wear like Denim, Park, Reebok, etc but these are bit expensive,, why don't you try for online store like eBay, or Amazon?? I'm sure there you'll definitely find some good and that to cheap ones!!

--------------
womens dresses
 Post Number: 30
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out EMS as well. They often have sales and I've found their clothing to fit better than REI branded stuff.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
32 replies since Oct. 21 2013, 9:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Budget hiking pants?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions