2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's your favorite tent?, Share your opinions about your tent< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JFALCON Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 5:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I returned recently from a backpacking trip at Los Andes, Venezuela, and slept 3 nights at 13,500 feet below 30 F°. My new Sierra Designs Flash 2 tent performed excellent, resisted strong winds and humidity, presenting very low condensation. Super easy to pitch and really comfortable, it’s not ultra-light but I think it offers an optimum relation weight-space-comfort. I’m very pleased.

There are a lot of options around there, which one is your favorite? Hammock, tent or tarp? Share your experiences. Might be useful for those considering new gear.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bibler Eldorado.

This line of tents from Black Diamond just reeks quality. Once you spend a few seasons using this tent, everything else you try just feels really, really cheaply built.

My wife & I use this tent for three season use - many nights just below freezing. Condensation control is awesome - way better than any two wall tent we've tried. We mainly hike in the middle part of the Cdn Rockies - Jasper latitude & north.

Weight isn't too bad - I believe ours comes in around 5.25lbs with all poles, tent pegs, and guy lines. You never have to worry if will handle the wind when camping in subalpine or alpine - it guys out wonderfully.

We keep the weight down by not having the optional vestibule - we have a large garbage bag to stow our packs (which we put beside the tent at night), and we put our boots in another smaller garbage bag (just outside the door). In the past decade of fairly heavy use, we've never had a problem with rodents (or anything else) getting into our packs or boots.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Golite Shangri-La 5 is my current favorite shelter. Mind you, I currently prefer snowshoeing to summer hiking these days.

2 lbs, 10 oz

5 man (huge)

Bombproof (made it through some intense storms so far)

I can stand up inside and change my clothes.

In summer, my go to is a Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Asym. A more comfortable night's sleep I haven't found and 1 lbs, 10 oz at that with shelter during a rainstorm to eat my meal.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 4
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've recently began experimenting with hanging. Wasn't my cup of tea, but I've read it's an acquired taste. I'll work on it.

I'm a budget backpacker, so I'll just say that my Alps Mountaineering has served me fine through four seasons. Any brand name tent would work fine, so I might as well spend what I can on something that gets me out there. That said, my stomping grounds are below 3500' for the most part.

My fiance and I enjoy a state park nearby, and it has lean-to's. We bring a tarp and ground cloth in case we can't/don't want to sleep in a shelter, or to shield a shelter from winds.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 5
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Been carrying the Tarptent Rainbow last few seasons...400+ nights so I guess durabillity not an issue.
Light, palacious for one person. easy set-up.
Some quirks though about condensation and high winds -
These partially overcome by how/where pitched.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 6
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3 seasons I use my TT rainbow. In the winter it's usually my Bibler Eldorado. That being said, I need to sell some tents!

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 7
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A difficult question.

My favorite solo is a Big Sky Revolution unless I'm hanging and then it's a Hennessy Hammock.

My favorite two-person is an SMD Lunar Duo, but in winter and needing a small footprint, Mountain Hardwear Spire II.

My favorite 3-person is a Mutha Hubba (but that is for car camping and staying at relatives), otherwise, Shangri-la 3.  

My favorite 5 person tent is also a Shangri-la, the 5, but usually for winter when we want room, not a small footprint.

So far..................................

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 8
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Oct. 25 2013, 11:45 pm)
My favorite solo is a Big Sky Revolution unless I'm hanging and then it's a Hennessy Hammock.

I've been lusting after one of those for a long time now.  I keep reading Big Sky is hard to deal with, orders delayed, etc.  But the tent looks awesome "on paper".

I've had a lot of tents over the way-too-many-years I've been backpacking.  Some that I loved I can't remember the name, or even brand (but I have a perfect image of them in my head).  My favorite that I can recall (in my old age) is a North Face Slickrock.  A bit on the heavy side at 4.2 lbs, but solid as a rock, easy to set up, free-standing and really just a pleasure.  But it's getting old (I bought it before many of you were alive).  And it's heavy.

Favorite current "modern" tent is Tarptent Double Rainbow.  Really, I think Henry Shires is a genius of modern tent design.
 Post Number: 9
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, I think Henry and Ron at TT and SMD, respectively, are on the cutting edge.
The only reason I have a Big Sky (though I love the design) is because I bought it lightly used and the previous owner dealt with all the angst and delays.
I admit that I 'find' occasions to use it since I usually backpack duo.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 10
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 3:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmarklane @ Oct. 25 2013, 11:09 pm)
My favorite that I can recall (in my old age) is a North Face Slickrock.  A bit on the heavy side at 4.2 lbs, but solid as a rock, easy to set up, free-standing and really just a pleasure.  But it's getting old (I bought it before many of you were alive).  And it's heavy.

It was "ultralight" back when, though. Still use mine for car camping, since it's the biggest shelter I own. Other than some patches on the floor, it looks good as new.

Current favorite is the TT Notch. Light, packs small, simple, good ventilation, and all the room I need. Get to start using it without the inner net again next week.
 Post Number: 11
JFALCON Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good comments, thanks! Tarp / hammock, anyone?
 Post Number: 12
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1-person Eureka Spitfire - $67, light, well-designed, easy to set up, and has held up great for the 7 years I've owned it

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 13
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im really enjoying my bivy/tarp combo. I have been useing a Bear Paw Widerness bug bivy in the warmer and cooler seasons and I bring along my MLD Patrol Shelter(cuben) if I need wind or rain or sun protection. In fact I like it so much I am getting a Bristlecone bivy for winter trips.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 14
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walrus Trekker Taro

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 15
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In three seasons:
Nothing when I can: love the wilderness surroundings and sky too much to want to wall it off.
If weather looms a Mountain Laurel Designs Cuben SoloMid. Light, robust and can be fitted with their netting inner as needed for early season bugs.

Winter: a Chouinard Megamid. Lots of space for long winter nights with lots of snow shedding ability.

At the trailhead my current favorite is a Big a Agnes Emerald Mountain UL2: good volume with a nice set of side doors and vestibules for access and lots of mesh for openness as warranted. Light enough to fly with even along with my on the trip Solomid.
 Post Number: 16
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Double Rainbow

Post Number: 17
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I still love my black diamond beat light.  It's huge, weight only 1lb 3oz, and has stood up to everything I've thrown at it.  It's not as big as Tigger's shangri-la, but it's less than half the weight and there's more than enough room for two people and all their gear.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 18
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For 3 season I like the light Double Rainbow, with its porch setup, but still use the Black Diamond BetaLight for spring skiing, or with the bug if I am worried about days of bad weathered.  The DR would probably work but the Lite is more so, though neither is a true tent.

Hammocks give me shoulder squeeze but I still use one on occasion.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 19
shpongle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I own 4 tents.  But thinking about the question, I don't really have a favorite.  They all have their relative strengths and weaknesses.  I suppose if I had to give up all but one, I'd keep my Seedhouse SL2.  It's the first tent I've bought and has been extremely reliable through 3 season camping in a variety of weather conditions.
 Post Number: 20
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a brand new double rainbow and a big Agnes ul slater sitting in a closet and I always reach for my Hubba Hubba when heading out.
 Post Number: 21
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For traveling light in warm weather or if I'm moving day after day I prefer my Sierra Design Electron, a very basic tent which is easy to set up.  Best for warm weather.  When expecting inclement weather I'll pack the heavier and roomier Marmot Swallow.  I still wonder why I bought a tent with a non-rectangular floor plan, but I love the side walls and ventilation.  On this long trip with my buddy we took both.

This Kifaru 8 man tipi will probably become my tent of choice for extended  base camps and cold weather trips.  The mosquito netting and wood stove will make it more comfortable in the swing seasons.  I inherited it from a  friend and used it for the first time this fall.  It's got potential as a real party hut.  Oh yeah.

Post Number: 22
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Oct. 26 2013, 3:12 pm)
1-person Eureka Spitfire - $67, light, well-designed, easy to set up, and has held up great for the 7 years I've owned it

Ditto on this

Mines been a great tent, solid through storms, bug proof and a great place to wake up in the morning.
 Post Number: 23
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Favorite Of All Time:

My Coleman Peak One Cobra 2.  First "serious" tent I bought.  I had researched for several months and could not find a reason not to own the thing.  Light for the time, two doors, two vestibules...and well under $100.  I'd still own it if I did not sell it to a friend who used it two weeks ago in heavy rain and 25 degree weather....innumerable nights on that puppy.

It did it's job incredibly well and fit my anti snob appeal preference I have for gear.

I really like my SD Vaporlight 2...lighter, larger etc etc...but I do not think I'll be posting about it years after I have sold it like I do with the Coleman....

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 24
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 30 2013, 10:59 am)
My Favorite Of All Time:

My Coleman Peak One Cobra 2.  First "serious" tent I bought.  I had researched for several months and could not find a reason not to own the thing.  Light for the time, two doors, two vestibules...and well under $100.  I'd still own it if I did not sell it to a friend who used it two weeks ago in heavy rain and 25 degree weather....innumerable nights on that puppy.

It did it's job incredibly well and fit my anti snob appeal preference I have for gear.

I really like my SD Vaporlight 2...lighter, larger etc etc...but I do not think I'll be posting about it years after I have sold it like I do with the Coleman....

wc, your after my heart

I sold my old cobra about three years ago.  It was always a little too short for me, and I sometimes could have issues with condensation running into the footbox of my sleeping bag because my feet would poke up onto the inside of the fly.

that though, was a weatherproof tent.  Especially considering its size/weight ratio.
 Post Number: 25
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Oct. 29 2013, 12:01 pm)
This Kifaru 8 man tipi will probably become my tent of choice for extended  base camps and cold weather trips.  The mosquito netting and wood stove will make it more comfortable in the swing seasons.  I inherited it from a  friend and used it for the first time this fall.  It's got potential as a real party hut.  Oh yeah.

I REALLY want one of those.  They ain't cheap though.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 26
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I switched to hanging a year ago (Warbonnet Blackbird), but my favorite tent has been the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo single wall tarptent. It's a palace for two people, has dual side entry with generous vestibules, and weighs about 2.5 lbs.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 27
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 25 2013, 4:02 pm)
My Golite Shangri-La 5 is my current favorite shelter. Mind you, I currently prefer snowshoeing to summer hiking these days.

2 lbs, 10 oz

5 man (huge)

Bombproof (made it through some intense storms so far)

I can stand up inside and change my clothes.

In summer, my go to is a Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Asym. A more comfortable night's sleep I haven't found and 1 lbs, 10 oz at that with shelter during a rainstorm to eat my meal.

Hey Tigger

Do you have that post handy where you showed how made a modified "nest" for the 5? I would love one of those, so I don't need to bring the whole caboodle backpacking.

ETA: n/m, I found it. Very cool. I might hire you for one of those floors!

Thanks

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 28
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PS: Oh, and my favorite tent is the Mtn Hdwr Skyledge 2. Great tent.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 29
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My favorite tent is actually a poncho-tarp, the Equinox XL 5' x 8.5' Poncho, pitched in a tall, (3.5 Ft.) half-pyramid, with a 2 oz. silvered-Mylar groundcloth stretched between the 4 corner stakes.

Camping  mostly in the high, near-treeline, Rockies, this simple shelter has kept me dry through some of the most violent wind and rainstorms that I've ever experienced.

For really cold nights, I've made a triangular Mylar door that stretches tautly over the entrance, making an enclosed shelter.

Because nearly half of the floor is dirt, I bring in my PocketRocket, set on a flat rock at extremely low flame, and that little stove keeps my shelter warm, dry and toasty throughout the evening...and first thing in the morning.

The warmth is a wonderful luxury! (Like a poor man's solo Kifaru...)

The floor, door, stakes and lines are about 8.5 oz., and, with the poncho-tarp, (8.5 oz.,) puts my total shelter weight at 17 oz.

But I would be carrying the poncho anyway, so my net shelter weight is about 8.5 oz.
 Post Number: 30
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Highpeakdrifter,

I'd love to see some photos of that if you can.....

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
33 replies since Oct. 25 2013, 5:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's your favorite tent?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions