2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Safe Hiking Tips!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
karen1420 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 1:27 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Safe Hiking Tips for all :

Start slow. A short, local hike is best for beginners. Gradually work up to trails with hills or uneven terrain.

Bring a buddy. It’s best not to hike alone at first, especially on unfamiliar or remote trails. A partner or group can help you navigate and assist if you get hurt. As your skill level improves, you’ll feel more comfortable going solo.

Know before you go. Familiarize yourself with the trail map. Check the weather and dress and pack accordingly. If storms are a possibility, rethink your plan.

Use common sense. Follow marked paths and trails. Avoid contact with questionable plants and animals.

Get into a groove. On the days you can’t make it to the trails, power-walk on a hilly terrain while carrying various degrees of weight in a backpack -- it will keep your hiking skills and fitness level on track.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 2:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(karen1420 @ Nov. 01 2013, 10:27 pm)
Know before you go. Familiarize yourself with the trail map. Check the weather and dress and pack accordingly. If storms are a possibility, rethink your plan.

Use common sense. Follow marked paths and trails. Avoid contact with questionable plants and animals.

Get into a groove. On the days you can’t make it to the trails, power-walk on a hilly terrain while carrying various degrees of weight in a backpack -- it will keep your hiking skills and fitness level on track.

If the weather is going to be miserable, I definitely want to go. It's more quiet.

I hate it when plants and animals question me...

Besides keeping up with my kids, hiking is my fitness...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 5:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Put a note in your vehicle where you'll be headed

Let someone know where you're going..  dont be an Aaron Ralston!

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 4
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the helpful hints.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 8:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let someone know where you're going..  dont be an Aaron Ralston!

Good advice.

I go a step a further and suggest that people use the "Zero Essential" - leaving your plans and expected return time with a trusted person who will notify the proper authorities when you don't return as expected.

Knowing where you went is very helpful to SAR teams, but does no good until the know they need to look for you.

We read too often about the search that didn't start until Tuesday "after co-workers became concerned that the lost hikers had not shown up for work two days in a row with out calling in sick" for hikers who were due back Saturday or Sunday.
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Cool! This guy won't be back for 3 more days! That gives me lots of time to clean out his vehicle!".

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 9:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(karen1420 @ Nov. 01 2013, 10:27 pm)
Safe Hiking Tips for all :

Start slow. A short, local hike is best for beginners. Gradually work up to trails with hills or uneven terrain.

Bring a buddy. It’s best not to hike alone at first, especially on unfamiliar or remote trails. A partner or group can help you navigate and assist if you get hurt. As your skill level improves, you’ll feel more comfortable going solo.

This is a good tip, something I did for the most part without thinking about.  Now that I am getting older I am trying to workout more to be able to hike and ski longer.

People are "rescued" every year from Mt Rainier because of broken ankles, most likely they were not in shape for uneven terrain.

Use common sense. Follow marked paths and trails.

It is odd that when people get lost they leave the trail, which in most cases is slower too.  I would say to "Stay Found" rather than common sense, the former is the title of a navigation book.  Meaning it is easier to keep track of where you are, than to try to figure it out once you are lost.  If you follow a path keep track of junctions esp. if not marked. etc.

Follow where u are on a map, with a compass if needed.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

than to try to figure it out once you are lost

Are you really lost if you don't care where you are?
And are you lost if you don't know exactly where you are but know an exit route to somewhere known?

--------------

Post Number: 9
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You forgot Bacardi 151 is both a beverage and a fire-starter!

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 10
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Nov. 02 2013, 11:18 am)
You forgot Bacardi 151 is both a beverage and a fire-starter!

But Everclear will work in my stove.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't let a bear eat your canoe.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 02 2013, 6:55 am)
than to try to figure it out once you are lost

Are you really lost if you don't care where you are?
And are you lost if you don't know exactly where you are but know an exit route to somewhere known?

No if you can find your way back you are not lost, except perhaps if it is critical for you not to have to turn back.

If you follow a trail or river, and IF u can follow it back for instance you are not lost until you can't.  (For instance once I did not see a trail come into the one I was one, until I returned and it was hard to tell which to take back)

I would hesitate to say it is ok not to care where you are, that to me implies one can pull out a map later and figure things out, which might work if you can figure out landmarks by finding them on a map ,  say in open areas with a view of road or lodge where you came from, or peaks you can recognize and triangulate from.  That is easier to do if you have been following things on your map as you go.  You get a feel for the scale of your map, etc.

Knowing a way back isn't that great if it isn't passable. A gal who left a lake she was going around to avoid an obstacle, became lost, the more she tried to go back the more lost she became.  she did Know that down (a very long way) would get her back to the Columbia Gorge, but unfortunately that way wasn't passable, esp. with a broken leg.

Now if you are in a maize you might be lost, but if it is small enough you know you can just keep wandering until you find your way out or back, sort of in between.

The funniest story I have ever heard, was a couple who got lost on the green river despite all their maps etc.  When it merged with the Colorado they still did not figure it out, and went beyond their takeout and the Class V rapids!
 Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have never been lost in any maize.  They do make maize mazes around here at Halloween, but I stay out.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 02 2013, 1:37 pm)
I have never been lost in any maize.  They do make maize mazes around here at Halloween, but I stay out.

This sort of humor I find just that bit too corny.

Ymmv
 Post Number: 15
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Nov. 02 2013, 9:57 am)
Don't let a bear eat your canoe.

Easier said than done:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

That said .. I'm surprised the usually stringent crowd here hasn't called "spam" on the OP.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 16
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Advice from an 8 year old girl about 20 years ago...
Eat before you are hungry
Drink before you are thirsty
Pee before you HAVE to

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 17
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I'm surprised the usually stringent crowd here hasn't called "spam" on the OP. "

first post,good tips and two links to boot ?
What's wrong with that ?
 Post Number: 18
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, for one thing, the usual posters here tend not to be spoke to/written to about things they already are more than familiar with. New poster shows up with 2 links to their business website in the sig (not allowed), makes a post like this, doesn't respond again, etc, etc .. that's usually more than enough to raise the hackles of folks here. look at the post from the person about jackets that fit like Arcteryx last week .. and that post was WAY less spammy (i.e., not at all) than this one .. imo.

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha. I've got the sig lines blocked so all I saw was the post and shrugged.
 Post Number: 20
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't hike in brand new boots.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 02 2013, 3:35 pm)
Don't hike in brand new boots.

And when you do anyway remember presoaking definitely helps in getting copious quantities of blood out of socks.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, for one thing...
Walkingman, maybe if you re read what I posted taking into account bold and italics ,you will get it.
i don't use smileys...
 Post Number: 23
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:)

--------------

Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 02 2013, 1:37 pm)

Got me, ha ha

but u need to try some corn whiskey . . .
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now let's return the favour and give Karen1420 the boot.
 Post Number: 26
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My cackles did get raised....but the subject matter was legit so I let it go. Don't think my trigger finger isn't itchy though.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 27
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just remember: the yellow snow is not lemonade-flavored.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would hesitate to say it is ok not to care where you are, that to me implies one can pull out a map later and figure things out, which might work if you can figure out landmarks by finding them on a map

A friend and I once took off for 3 weeks offtrail in the Bitterroot. We just wandered around with "Hey, that looks interesting!" for about 2 weeks, not caring where we actually were. We then stopped on a ridge and separately worked out on topos where we were. We decided that since we only came up with about 25' difference, that's where we were. Hiked out to the nearest highway (Hwy 12 on the Lochsa) and hitched a ride.

--------------

Post Number: 29
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After a couple of very uncomfortable and somewhat sobering experiences, I never hike, even a day hike, without taking enough gear to survive the worst conditions night might bring.  I might not be comfortable in during an UNO, but I'll survive.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 30
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Nov. 02 2013, 5:24 pm)
That said .. I'm surprised the usually stringent crowd here hasn't called "spam" on the OP.

It's not spam if she isn't selling/promoting anything.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
44 replies since Nov. 02 2013, 1:27 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Safe Hiking Tips!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions