2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Look what I got..., I couldn't help myself< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 7:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$17, shipped, ebay:

This is for when the girl and I go as close as we'll get to glamping.

Sold by Kmart, called the Trip-Pak-2.

Eight pounds with the poles, but we could go tree to tree or perhaps trekking poles -- the center height is 5'. Seven foot square floor. 1' square window in back.

How could I not? I wouldn't have gone to more than $25.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 7:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have a use for anything like that, but I must say that it's hard to go wrong for $17.  Congratulations.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. I really don't have a use for it, but it's just so damned cute. And it appears to be in really good shape. Like I said, we'll use it car camping.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 4
outbackpacker3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's kinda interesting. This might sound crazy but it seems like with some modification you could get that to be pretty light. If the fabric was right it could even be a bomber winter shelter. Like a mid or something.

EDIT saw the weight but still maybe... Hmmmmm
 Post Number: 5
CRupp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks a lot like the Big Anges Scout UL2. Only major differences I see is the 1 piece bathtub floor doesn't come up as high, and there's no side mesh venting like the Scout.
 Post Number: 6
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CRupp @ Nov. 11 2013, 11:59 am)
Looks a lot like the Big Anges Scout UL2. Only major differences I see is the 1 piece bathtub floor doesn't come up as high, and there's no side mesh venting like the Scout.

...and doesn't cost $280.

To each their own, HYOH, etc.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As for mods, that would be a tall order. I suppose I could make it like a betamid and cut the floor out, but I'd still have to replace the metal zippers, and probably reinforce the guy out points. With the floor and poles gone, probably gets it down to maybe four pounds.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just curious--to what use are you planning to put that tent? I'm not sure how to interpret "glamping,"--must mean "glamour camping," right?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Nov. 11 2013, 5:32 pm)
Just curious--to what use are you planning to put that tent? I'm not sure how to interpret "glamping,"--must mean "glamour camping," right?

Glamping is glamour camping, though for my purposes, it's scaled down quite a bit. First, no porters. But we would likely have the queen-sized air mattress with sheets and pillows...

I got it for its kitsch value. And it was $17.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the world of cheep tents.

I am the original cheep tent advocate, and have taken much grief for my efforts at trimming tent costs.

My most expensive, to date, is $36.  My least is $18.  Much to the chagrin of many, I have yet to die from using a cheep tent.

Funnest thing I've done is take an $18 Texsport Willowbend and reduce it to a 2 Lb, 12 oz, super-ultra lightweight shelter.  It still has a floor.  No-seeum netting.  Waterproof.  Pitches with trekking poles.

The true beauty of cheep tents is their disposability and resultant replacability.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 11
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a great tent on ebay for $20, weighed in at only 2 lbs with the poles. Only problem was it was 5' 10'' long and I'm 6 ft!
 Post Number: 12
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$17? That much......?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 13
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 11 2013, 10:00 pm)
$17? That much......?

Kind of what I was thinking. ???

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys are weird, or you haven't gotten the gist of my OP; I bought it on a lark, but will likely turn out to be a useful one. Actually, the tent cost $5.74, but the shipping cost $11.

It's quite likely going to be used in the backyard of my MIL's house in NJ. During the holidays places to sleep are at a premium, so instead of sleeping in a room with a bunch of snoring, farting people (OP included,) or squeezing in and out of the backpacking tent, we'll sleep on a queen-sized air mattress with room to spare. With my 11' x 11' tarp, we'll even have a porch under which we can sit and enjoy coffee until everyone gets up. Maybe get a fire going in the firepit.

So, say nay all you want, you naysayers, but this purchase not only had a sentimental note, (I very well may have slept in this model tent at once,) but a practical purpose, as well.

Even cheap 6' x 6', fiberglass pole, woven polypropylene floor, tiny rain fly tents cost more. This is 7' square with a 5' ridgeline.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
thefuzz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i wouldent let my dog sleep in that tent!
 Post Number: 16
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like TDale, I enjoy the uber one downmanship of using the not so latest and greatest.

Bigsilk take that damn tent to the hairiest spot you can find and take copious pix of it, post it here w/a big fat smile on your face and relax in the knowledge that yes, you were there....and that is all that really matters ain't it?

Enjoy it in good health!!

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 17
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, each to his own.  Enjoy the heck out of the tent but mostly in the backyard I hope.  I can relate to using it as a spare bedroom. Our house is small and when company comes, we often set up the tent camper/trailer in the driveway for extra sleeping room.  And ya, we are a little weird.  No offense taken there.  Sweet dreams.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 18
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's the tent I started out with back, like, 25 yrs ago.  Thanks for the warm fuzzy memory.
 Post Number: 19
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it keeps the rain and bugs out, you just got a good deal on a car-camping tent. :)  Is it still posted for that price?  Heck, I might pick one up myself.  Most the whole family could fit in there.

Nice find.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 12 2013, 6:25 pm)
If it keeps the rain and bugs out, you just got a good deal on a car-camping tent. :)  Is it still posted for that price?  Heck, I might pick one up myself.  Most the whole family could fit in there.

Nice find.

Thanks. That tent hasn't been made since bellbottoms and platform sneakers graced the disco floor. It was an ebay score. Pretty good looking for a 40 year old tent, huh?

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had that tent back in the early 80's.

The last time I camped in it when I woke in the morning the whole back was ripped wide open and had no idea how that happened.

I'm pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with the mass quantities of beer that were consumed the previous night.
 Post Number: 22
firebug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 10:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used this tent on my first backpacking trip in 1977.

--------------
http://www.northcountrytrail.org/htg/index.htm
21 replies since Nov. 11 2013, 7:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Look what I got...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions