2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Titanium mug - worth it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 6:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not fond of the plastic cups/mugs that have come with my limited cookware.  Aluminum conducts heat better which means I'm more likely to burn my lips, while Ti won't keep anything warm for long (the open top notwithstanding).  I've had vague ideas about getting a Snow Peak double wall 450ml Ti mug if it goes on sale on cyber Monday or whatever.  Which brings up the next question of whether or not the two Ti walls really accomplish much over a single Ti wall regarding insulation.  And Ti is gawdawful expensive.  I'm not a SUL gram counter, so the weight difference doesn't concern me.

So -

Single wall aluminum
Single wall titanium
Double wall titanium

Opinions?  Experiences?

Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No.
Spend your $$ on elsewhere
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, talk about a first world problem.  That's tough one.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the Snow peak double wall because it does seem to keep my coffee hot longer BUT you cannot use it on a stove.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 15 2013, 8:24 pm)
Man, talk about a first world problem.  That's tough one.

Yeah, the problem is I can't seem to find an decent aluminum one.  I'm even considering the stainless steel MSR thing with no handle.

I like being firmly in the middle, in the second world.  This is taking me outside of my comfort zone.  Maybe I should just go to Walmart.
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an insulated REI mug, a GSI plastic coffee mug, and have also used a Ziploc container with a duct tape/reflectix cozy around it. None of 'em weigh more than a couple ounces.

Also have drunk out of a solo Ti pot minus any insulation for the lips, not too many minutes after having boiled water in it, without difficulty or scorching. Ti cools fast.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be sure to get a lip guard.

http://02cbbd7.netsolhost.com/back/mugs.cups/single.html  

3rd or 4th item on the page.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Snowpeak trek 700 mug, which I use for cooking (ie, boiling water for freeze dried meals) and for coffee.  Not an ideal coffee mug, but I've found it to be a pretty good compromise.  I bought a jetboil lid which fits it--makes it easier to drink out of and helps hold in heat.  I wouldn't get anything single walled without a lid.
 Post Number: 9
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$50 for something that doesn't do double duty and is bulky in your pack? No, not worth it.

I spent $3 for a GSI cascadian cup that served no other purpose than coffee in the morning and bourbon in the evening. These days I drink out of the Jet Boil since the new ones are more mug size. One of the best glasses of wine I ever had was in the Jet Boil - an Anderson Valley red blend at 10,000' on Mt. Shasta.
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been using the same insulated plastic mug (with lid*) for a few decades now. Granted I'm not going to set it on the stove but I don't need to. And it was free from Blue Ridge Outdoors in Blacksburg VA (may still be there, but don't know) when I bought a pack in the early 80's.

*Lid is secured to the handle with a short cord to avoid losing it.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11
outbackpacker3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only paid 26 for my trek 700 and I like it I use it as a cup, bowl, pot, and what ever else I can think of. It does cool fast but that's not always a bad thing mine also came with a lid that stores the snow peak spork but I don't have one of those so that doesn't really matter to me. The cheapest place to get it is at rock creek just FYI.
 Post Number: 12
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Trinity @ Nov. 15 2013, 9:45 pm)
I have a Snowpeak trek 700 mug, which I use for cooking (ie, boiling water for freeze dried meals) and for coffee.  Not an ideal coffee mug, but I've found it to be a pretty good compromise.

Same here.

(outbackpacker3 @ Nov. 16 2013, 9:14 am)
mine also came with a lid that stores the snow peak spork but I don't have one of those so that doesn't really matter to me.

Ti spork on ti mug/bowl makes a horrible racket, anyway. I went back to a plastic spoon after using that combo a couple of times. $26 is a great price! Think I paid ~$35.
 Post Number: 13
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ain't the internet grand?  Some people love their $50 double wall titanium mugs, and others love their $3 plastic mugs.

I gotta say that, while I can afford $50 for a mug, $3 is a lot more attractive.  I hadn't seen them before - thanks, toejam.  Yeah, I can't put it directly on my stove to heat up some oatmeal, but then I'll have a pot for that.

Thanks to everyone else as well.  Whatever I end up getting, your thoughts are appreciated.

Does anyone have one of these or these?
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grocery store plastic mug and grocery store plastic cereal bowl (both sort of slick polypropylene) The mug is nice since it has graduations molded inside so I can measure water for meals. Would seem to not be durable but I've had both for decades…. light and functional And the bowl is very cleanable unlike some folders that have creases that look problematic.

Whether an item such as a ti mug is "worth it"? Totally up to the individual, IMHO.
 Post Number: 15
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you unfold the plastic thingies, they're imminently cleanable.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 16 2013, 4:53 pm)

They flip inside out?

I was thinking of this sort.

http://www.rei.com/product/767560/sea-to-summit-x-bowl

On second thought I guess that doesn't really "fold" but rather collapses.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 16 2013, 1:55 pm)
Ain't the internet grand?  Some people love their $50 double wall titanium mugs, and others love their $3 plastic mugs.

I wouldn't have one if not for being gifted.  When you're an outdoors type of person (junkie) who doesn't care about clothes or electronics, I guess family members' options are more limited.
I've gotten some weird 'outdoor' gifts (with good intentions) that I just couldn't find a use for.  The mug is actually used, happily.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a mildly insulated mug with a lid.  It's plastic, lighter than most, and I got it at a thrift store for a dollar.  It's a little tall and skinny, which is less stable, but keeps my coffee hot a long time.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19
slowly walking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a single-wall titanium cup with a thick blue rubber band (the kind that comes around broccoli stems) just under the cup rim.  I also have a wool felted cozy it wears when it is off the flame.  If you decide to experiment, the cut-off top leg part of old wool socks could work to insulate the vertical walls of the cup.

For me it seems to keep coffee hot enough while allowing me to warm my hands; the rubber band keeps my lip from blistering.  I'm still able to reheat things by removing the band and the cozy, but the coffee is usually gone by then.

Have fun finding what works for you.
 Post Number: 20
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 4:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 16 2013, 8:09 pm)

(TDale @ Nov. 16 2013, 4:53 pm)

They flip inside out?

I was thinking of this sort.

http://www.rei.com/product/767560/sea-to-summit-x-bowl

On second thought I guess that doesn't really "fold" but rather collapses.

Orikaso are the origami pieces.  Flat plastic.

http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/ok_orikaso_cup.php

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 21
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 5:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another fan of the plastic double wall mug. I did some weight to volume comparisons and found the REI mug came out the winner for me. The last time I was in there, they were selling a heavier single wall and I couldn't find the old white cheap one with lettering.

I tried the Ti mugs and couldn't stand the lip burn thing.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 22
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a few ti mugs, and some plastic ones. I like the plastic ones because they were inexpensive and do not burn my lips. Also, they do seem to keep the contents warm enough, at least until I finish drinking it, which is in a relatively short time. I make a cup of joe, then sit down and drink it, not to concerned with it keeping the contents hot for 30 minutes or so... However, as others have mentioned, a plastic mug cannot be used on a stove, which depending on your preference, may or may not be a good thing.

I moved to ti mugs because I would like to have the idea to use it on my stove should I desire to. This doesn't mean that I always did. But it was nice that I could cook in my pot and also boil water in my mug to make a hot drink (of course I could boil water in the pot, pour some off and then cook in my pot).

I have one of the REI Campware plastic mugs that I don't think can be beat if you like plastic. Mine is an older one and weighs 1.8 oz, has a 12 oz capacity, and even has graduated markings inside it denoting every 1/4 cup. And for $3, well... it's a lot of cup for a small amount of $.

After deciding I wanted the option of being able to throw my mug on a stove, I went for the MLD 47ml Ti Mug. I love this thing, and now, if I carry a mug, it is my go-to mug. It is a bit pricier at $27 (+ $5 s&h), but it weighs less (1.4 oz by itself) and I can boil water in it. Heck, if my needs are small enough, it can even double as my cook pot (although, it rarely has). It has no handles, which I like, and is single wall. I have added a cut-down beer can cozy and some Snow Peak Hot Lips so that I can drink from it without burning my lips. The total weight of everything is 1.7 oz, so still lighter than the REI mug, more versatile and slightly larger capacity (15.2 oz).

Later, I picked up a Toaks 375ml Ti mug (by accident actually... I thought I added it to my wish list on Amazon, when I actually hit the Buy with one click option... good thing it was only $16 at the time... now only $19 though). Anyway, this is a less expensive option for a ti mug, however, it is heavier (2.1 oz) and only has a 12 oz capacity. To be fair though, the handles could likely be removed to drop some weight too, if you are ok without them. Of course though, you would need to add some hot lips to this mug too if you wanted to keep from burning your lips while drinking. And of course you have the option of using this mug on your stove if you would like.

Also, somewhere along the line I won a single wall Snow Peak 450 ml mug. It is nice for sure and mine weighs in at 2 oz. It can be used on a stove, and also has handles. If I didn't have my MLD mug, I would likely use this one more often.

However, my favorite option is to just use my LiteTrail 550ml cook kit as both my cook pot, and my mug. It is not so big that it feels too awkward drinking from. It is actually not bad at all for me. I have added a DIY reflectix sleeve and a pair of Hot Lips. When I want coffee or tea, I fill the pot about half full, bring it to almost a rolling boil, grab the pot off by the lip with my bare fingers, slide it into the reflectix sleeve, add the Hot Lips, make the drink and I am good. I have been quite excited about this set-up. Coolest part is everything (lighter, pot, lid, stove, windscreen, ground protector, scrubbie brush, lightload towel, spoon, stuff sack, reflectix sleeve, hot lips, etc...) weighs just under 4 oz! And works great for me!

Anyway, of all the ti mugs I listed above, the quality and construction appear to be fine. No issues with any of them. I will say that the Toaks mug is made from thicker Ti, which is why it is heavier and less expensive. But, if someone is just interested in checking out a Ti cup, this might be a good way to go. Of course though, if you found that you like a Ti mug, but wanted a lighter one, you would end up spending more by buying another mug, but that is the way it goes sometimes...

As for double wall, I have never owned one, and don't think that they would work for me, so am not too interested in having one. I see why others have them and like them (mostly due to being able to keep a drink warmer, longer), but this just isn't something I need.

It all comes down to what you need...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 23
shpongle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 16 2013, 8:55 am)
Does anyone have one of these or these?

A friend of mine used the plastic versions.  However, the lids apparently were very finicky (I think they stopped fitting properly or something), so he replaced them with a double-wall plastic mug from MEC.

I also use a plastic MEC mug and have no complaints.
 Post Number: 24
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use the mug/pot that is the basis of the GSI Minimalist set.  Can use it to boil a little water, comes with a nifty silicone pot grabber, and has a neoprene koozie and well-fitting lid.  I also have a GSI mug with folding handles, but the Minimalist mug/pot is my favorite....so far.
 Post Number: 25
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 16 2013, 7:18 am)
*Lid is secured to the handle with a short cord to avoid losing it.

Darn good idea...

I've used the old Aladdin plastic mugs w/ lid for forever. Honestly, nothing else I've used comes close in terms of keeping a beverage hot.

Yeah, plastic is not ideal, but it's only for backpacking, not day-to-day around the house.

At the end of the day the idea is to keep hot stuff hot...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forty years ago my union gave out plastic mugs at a rally.  I still use mine for backpacking and camping.  Light, has a tight fitting lid, almost indestructible and insulates very well.  What more could you ask for except maybe a Sierra Cup?  Nobody uses one of those? :D

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 27
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Friggin' Sierra Cup only had legs because Colin Fletcher pimped it... perhaps the worst piece of gear ever foisted on the Backpack Community!

And yeah, I've still got mine 40 years on :D

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 28
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ataylor @ Nov. 17 2013, 12:34 pm)
I use the mug/pot that is the basis of the GSI Minimalist set.  Can use it to boil a little water, comes with a nifty silicone pot grabber, and has a neoprene koozie and well-fitting lid.  I also have a GSI mug with folding handles, but the Minimalist mug/pot is my favorite....so far.

Interesting.  I have the GSI Soloist which has a shorter plastic cup/mug with neoprene koozie and a poorly fitting (read: useless) lid.

I don't think I've seen the Minimalist set before.  I see two Minimalist kits at gsioutdoors.com - "Halulite" and "Glacier Stainless".  Which one are you referring to?

Thanks.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Nov. 17 2013, 1:42 pm)
Friggin' Sierra Cup only had legs because Colin Fletcher pimped it... perhaps the worst piece of gear ever foisted on the Backpack Community!

And yeah, I've still got mine 40 years on :D

Right you are.  I wonder how many of us actually fell for that and bought one.  I remember feeling pretty cool as having it attached to my pack showed that I was a real backpacker. :p

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Nov. 16 2013, 9:41 pm)
The mug is actually used, happily.

My granddaughter engraved a message on the bottom.
I'll carry the mug always, likely be buried with it.

Sometimes the best thing on trips are the memories.

--------------
41 replies since Nov. 15 2013, 6:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Titanium mug - worth it?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions