2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: cheep...but proud< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 6:57 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Reading through the glove liner topic, I chuckled when I read Oldnolder and Bigsilks attestation to their    ...um.."frugality".

Not to steal TDales thunder but we all know him as the king of making do w/an inexpensive tent.

I am sure most of have something in our arsenal  like an off brand rainshell, (love my Stearns I picked up at Wally world), Bigsilks recent tent purchase on eBay, cheap liner gloves etc....

So.....What piece of gear is the cheapest and /or most imaginative adaptive reuse that you are proudest of?

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 7:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess no one remembers my pictures of my insulated hat.  It was my FBC cozy.  A padded DHL shipping bag.  Free.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 8:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If this were a contest I would end it right now......

I'm heading to the supply closet btw to get me one of them hats w/the FedEx logo!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

he he he he he

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 9:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I believe I've mentioned about a zillion times that my go to bowl/cup is a ziploc container... Dollar Store.

And then the times I use the cat can stove... dollar store can of cat food, dollar store windscreen made of foil pan....

Dollar emergency poncho....

Forgot a spork, found a spoon, washed it.

The kitchen is the one area that you go cheap and you're automagically light as well. All those silicon bowls and collapsible whatevers that cost all that money are all heavier than a simple screw top ziploc bowl.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You want dollar store deals?  Family Dollar store.  Nissin noodles, 3 packs for a dollar.  Throw their flavoring packs away and add your own broth/bullion and other additives.  Whole lot better than Ramen(blech).

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well no big 'wow' factor in any of my craziness, but up until about a year ago almost all my gear was the stuff my parents bought me as a kid. Kelty Tioga ex frame pack, sleeping bag and pad, mess kit, etc were all bought by my folks when I was a teen. I even still have the last pair of hiking boots my parent bought me, though the last couple years I am now almost completely barefoot.

But in the last year or two I started upgrading everything to cut weight and size, and put a lot of research and decision making into buying the best I could for my use, so no longer using gear based off 'frugality'. I did for a long while though. Still thinking about finding a seamstress to replace the ol' Kelty's hip belt, but that would probably cost as much as a new pack so we be more a personal thing than frugality.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 8
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

for three or four years i was packing a 5-dollar pair of foam sandals with ankle straps that i bought a convenience store on Kauai. they weighed practically zilch, doubling as camp shoes and emergency water crossing shoes. they were held together mostly by duct tape towards the end and finally fell to pieces this summer at Pecks Corner Shelter in the Smokies. i still haven't found a more perfect replacment, even at cost. i guess i'll suck it up and pay too much for crocs.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nobody can compare to TDale...being cheap

My mods on my shelter using a couple of yards of Silnylon, wedding tool, and velcro are probably my cheapest.
I use a child's plastic sled to haul my gear in winter with some parachute cord attached to my climbing harness I bought at a second hand store.
Another alcohol stove user.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Nov. 19 2013, 8:44 am)
for three or four years i was packing a 5-dollar pair of foam sandals with ankle straps that i bought a convenience store on Kauai. they weighed practically zilch, doubling as camp shoes and emergency water crossing shoes. they were held together mostly by duct tape towards the end and finally fell to pieces this summer at Pecks Corner Shelter in the Smokies. i still haven't found a more perfect replacment, even at cost. i guess i'll suck it up and pay too much for crocs.

Walmart and their ilk carry fake Crocs that are very inexpensive. I prefer what they call "fisherman's sandals" which are of the same material and similarly cheap, but fit around the back of the heel, so that they stay put on your feet better.
 Post Number: 11
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 19 2013, 9:08 am)
Well, I believe I've mentioned about a zillion times that my go to bowl/cup is a ziploc container... Dollar Store.

Pfffft, what? You actually pay for them? My go to bowl/cup is a butter tub. Super light, free, recycled and if you can't clean it for whatever reason you just pop the top back on.

My dog uses a larger whipping cream tub as her camping bowl, lol.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 12
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When buying croc knockoffs be sure to check the tread, some have lots n some have little.  
I have always made facemask, hats, and headbands to keep ears warm from wore out base layer bottoms. I read a lot about hammock camping a few years ago and was ready to order a hammock. I read about DIY and never ordered one. I made 4 hammocks, 3 tarps, 5 underquilts, 5 topquilts, and 3 bugnets. I don't know if this saved me much or not.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read about DIY and never ordered one. I made 4 hammocks, 3 tarps, 5 underquilts, 5 topquilts, and 3 bugnets.

Out of worn out baselayer bottoms :O

--------------
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found a fleece/wool stocking cap in the middle of the road a couple of years ago while driving back from skiing.  It's my favorite knocking around/walking the dog hat now.  Didn't cost a cent except for the detergent to wash it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
mattofcarlisle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

15 years ago, I was a ski instructor/college student in western Pa. I found a pair of gore tex gloves in the parking on the last day the resort was open that year. I still wear them to shovel snow, though they are more duct tape than nylon, now.  My wife hates them.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

C'mon folks.  Found gear isn't being cheep.  It's found gear.

Cheep is the Dollar store or wally world for hats and fleeces.  It's never paying more than half of retail.  You got to shop and shop hard.

I have a Coleman Inyo Solo that cost me $36.  That's my most expensive tent.  Took me a week to find it at that price.

"Frugality" is a mindset.  You can go all out or you can go all in.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, I bought an all wool, made in Nepal, Peruvian (contradiction, I know) style hat at a thrift store for $2.00.  Took my senior citizens discount and a special dice shake discount and got it for $1.30.  Still wear it x-county skiing.  Cheap enough?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 18
mattofcarlisle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Impressive.  I love thrift shops - especially those just outside of cities (like Boston) next to nice neighborhoods.
 Post Number: 19
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SWest @ Nov. 19 2013, 12:02 pm)

Pfffft, what? You actually pay for them? My go to bowl/cup is a butter tub. Super light, free, recycled and if you can't clean it for whatever reason you just pop the top back on.

And any pressure in the pack, and the top pops off.

Yeah, the screw on lid was totally worth the dollar.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 5:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mattofcarlisle @ Nov. 19 2013, 9:15 pm)
Impressive.  I love thrift shops - especially those just outside of cities (like Boston) next to nice neighborhoods.

Me, too.  Best find so far has been a Merino wool turtleneck for $5.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A set of five nesting stainless steel bowls with lids, $6 -- dollar store

Plastic bottle cut down (reused) with a neoprene koozie (~$1) is my insulated cup. Put the koozie on upside down to make a protective case for my headlamp so it doesn't switch on

Plastic quart milk carton (reused) cut down to hold fuel canister upside down in colder weather

Reflective, foam-backed windshield screens ($1) as extra insulation. Also use these to make FBC koozies

Plastic, flask-shaped vodka bottles (reused) for water -- their shape conforms to the body to keep water from freezing while sleeping and hiking. Not cumbersome like Nalgene bottles. Some collapsible bags have sharp edges/corners

Every year I try and remember to get the tablecloth from Thanksgiving dinner -- big old clear PVC thing. Replaces last years' ground cloth, after a good hosing

Little plastic pot scrapers work well as a spatula/turner

Dollar store synthetic undies - 3 pair $5

Dollar store midweight fleece base layer set - $10 (among my favorite finds)

Sierra Trading Post

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just TMI, man.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 8:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 20 2013, 8:47 am)

Just TMI, man.

You think that's TMI, you should see what I didn't mention. Make a hooker blush...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dollar store midweight fleece base layer set - $10 (among my favorite finds)

note to self...post this in Northeast Forums....

Glad you are backing out of that winter trip!!  I was going to bunk w/you

I remember I was going to buy a tent off of Booyah, it was the Coleman Exponent.  I went to go to the bank during lunch to get him a bank check but I  stopped at Marshalls for the heck of it on the way to the bank and viola, there was a new version of the same tent for like well under $50.

Booyah was cool with me backing out.

Hmmm...I've used flea market aluminum coffee pots, thrift store Arcteryk and other gear...(my best buy was a Sea to Summit new in sleeve sil nylon pack liner for $2.99)...loads of stuff for well more than 50% off at TJ and Marshalls but I fail horribly in comparison to TDale and Bigsilk.

but this?

at a thrift store for $2.00.  Took my senior citizens discount and a special dice shake discount and got it for $1.30.  Still wear it x-county skiing.  Cheap enough?

this took effort!!!!

I Pm'd Booyah and told him what happened

--------------
 Post Number: 25
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Booyah is so cool his buddies try to keep their beer in his backpack hoping being close to him will chill it down

At least that's what they said when I caught them  

:D
 Post Number: 26
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 19 2013, 10:09 pm)

(SWest @ Nov. 19 2013, 12:02 pm)

And any pressure in the pack, and the top pops off.

Yeah, the screw on lid was totally worth the dollar.

I guess so...mine lives in my pot when Im not using it, so I haven't had that problem.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 27
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Red Ledge waterproof "breathable" rain jacket for around $20 or so new.  Burned the sleeves cooking in a Colorado downpour.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say, however, that my very best find, and I can't believe it slipped my mind... My GoLite 800+FP 0* Adrenaline Sleeping Bag for $176, shipped. Many things had to align for that purchase, and thankfully to a fellow BPer for a bulletproof code and the item being in clearance. The bag's 'made for a woman,' but for one who's up to six feet. I'm 5' 8" and not terribly concerned if someone gets in on the patch and sees 'woman's'. Especially since I'm nice and warm, and that person's a freak for checking out the patch on my SB at two in the morning. Now how am I supposed to get to sleep? People staring at my patch, and everything...

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, " Made for a woman, but strong enough for a man"

If it works for you we won't laugh

--------------
 Post Number: 30
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spindle knitted me 2 pair of pink mittens 2 years ago. That was my best deal by far!

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
48 replies since Nov. 19 2013, 6:57 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply cheep...but proud
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions