2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stocking Stuffers, little gadgets and whatzits for my list< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Indytechnerd Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 11:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alright, BPers, I'm looking for suggestions.

Last year, I requested (and received) a new Snow Peak TI spork, and a Sea to Summit X bowl.  I'm looking for similarly priced and sized items to put on this years list, but I'm stuck.

Any thoughts?  I'll say up front that my gear list for gadgets and whatzits is negligible, so don't assume that I have anything.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Compass.

Small handheld lens for looking at flowers etc.
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A Black Diamond Orbit Lantern. Got one for myself and I love this thing - will light up the tent, weighs little, and is very handy for providing all the light I need to read when I solo in the winter.

http://www.rei.com/product/807910/black-diamond-orbit-lantern

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Photon Light, Bandanas, Merino wool socks, Hot Spark firestarters, Hand and toe warmers (for winter camping or snowshoeing), Travel size games, Buffs, sunglass cords.
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good hiking socks are always appreciated by me.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This was one of the most useful stocking stuffers I recieved last year.  At first I thought it was just a gimmick but it's turned out to be extremely functional. Goes on every trip with me. Beats the heck out of sand for cleaning your pots.

Product Details
GSI Outdoors Compact Scraper (Jul 28, 2013)

$3.95 - $7.95

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, I got one of those many years ago and have found it to be wonderful.  Mostly, mine sits in the car camping equipment, since I only FBC otherwise.  Might need to shift it over to the kayaking gear.  

Small items:  Storm whistle, compass, photon lights, LUCI light, packet of single edged razor blades, water proof matches, bic lighter, White Box stove, long handled lexan spoon, 1/4 inch plywood circle 6 inches in diameter for placing under the stove when cooking on surfaces that melt or burn easily.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Souvenir coffee/beverage mug of a favorite place.
 Post Number: 9
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some great ideas here - you guys are welcome to send any of these my way.

I can get my wife a cheap led headlamp every Christmas - the kids lose it before the year is up and she's always grateful for a new one.
 Post Number: 10
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sawyer Squeeze mini. I also want a down balaclava, but I guess that's too expensive for a stocking stuffer.

---George
 Post Number: 11
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For small gift ideas, I like practical stuff that you know you'll use, or things that you want, but won't necessarily just go out and buy, because you really don't need(like the last few on my list).

-Buff
-thin merino beanie for cold weather sleeping
-Joby Gorillapod, spare battery, new SD card for camera
-PackTowl Nano
-anti-chafe stick
-S2S headnet
-travel containers from GoStak, Nalgene, GoToob, etc.
-Victorinox Classic, Leatherman Micra or Style PS/CS
-Evernew or Platypus bottle
-Colgate Wisp mini toothbrushes
-Lithium AA or AAA for flashlights, etc.
-reflective guy line
-ultralight tent stakes
-cuben stuff sack, ditty bag, etc.
 Post Number: 12
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some things I've ordered for hiking friends this year:

Titanium trowel
Glowire from Lawson
Luci lantern (thanks zeke!)
Hiker/backpacker-appropriate tree ornaments
Bandanas from their favorite national parks
UL stakes
8oz 'Rumrunner' soft flasks

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 13
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Nov. 21 2013, 12:17 pm)
A Black Diamond Orbit Lantern. Got one for myself and I love this thing - will light up the tent, weighs little, and is very handy for providing all the light I need to read when I solo in the winter.

http://www.rei.com/product/807910/black-diamond-orbit-lantern

I have one, although I use it more when we lose power than any other time.  You can conserve some battery life by wrapping a small amount of tin foil around half of it so that it only illuminates the area you desire.  Of course, this basically makes it a flashlight or a headlamp, but sometimes I don't need or want light radiating 360 degrees.

It also has a big brother, but I can't remember the name.
 Post Number: 14
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 21 2013, 1:49 pm)
Souvenir coffee/beverage mug of a favorite place.

I collect refrigerator magnets and put them on the beer fridge in the shed.  The wife won't allow them on the kitchen fridge.
 Post Number: 15
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Nov. 21 2013, 3:15 pm)

Titanium trowel
Glowire from Lawson
UL stakes

Yeah, I keep waiting for the Lawson stakes to come back in stock.
 Post Number: 16
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 21 2013, 5:35 pm)

(TigerFan @ Nov. 21 2013, 3:15 pm)

Titanium trowel
Glowire from Lawson
UL stakes

Yeah, I keep waiting for the Lawson stakes to come back in stock.

I have and like Lawson's Ti hook stakes but I also really like these from Big Sky.  Someone (and I think it was Ben) recommended them either here or on BPL.  They hold surpringly well for their length and are easy on the hands putting in and taking out.  Also easy to see.  Very lightweight and no pointy/poking issues when packing.
http://bigskyproducts.com/Big-Sky-Ultra-C-AL-stake-peg-12cm.aspx

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 17
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dirty Girl Gaiters

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 18
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Membership to a trail conference. I got one for my fiance last year.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 19
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI Lawson says he's going to do a run of the stakes linked to above "soon".  He didn't specify when, but you can email him and ask, and make sure he has you on the list.
 Post Number: 20
Freeflow Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nite Ize S Biners

--------------
"Did you pack the Bourbon?"
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2013, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Nov. 27 2013, 4:32 am)
Membership to a trail conference. I got one for my fiance last year.

I like this: sort of a "get out more" incentive.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Freeflow @ Dec. 06 2013, 8:42 pm)
Nite Ize S Biners

I've seen these before and they kind of interest me but I can't really figure out a good use for them. At least not good enough that justifies their cost.  Do tell.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with you Jer.  Climbing biners can be had for $5.  I do not see what Nite-Ise offer except the S design for key chains.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 24
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use mini-biners like those pictured above for hanging my homemade gear loft up, for hanging my gloves, socks, headlamp, etc. to dry out from inside my shelter, and for clipping small items to the outside of my pack.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 07 2013, 1:55 pm)

Nite Ize S Biners

I've seen these before and they kind of interest me but I can't really figure out a good use for them. At least not good enough that justifies their cost.  Do tell.

I use a small one (size #2) to hang my Bear Bag

--------------
 Post Number: 26
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Freeflow @ Dec. 07 2013, 8:54 pm)

(hikerjer @ Dec. 07 2013, 1:55 pm)

Nite Ize S Biners

I use a small one (size #2) to hang my Bear Bag

Sorry -
Why not carry a real biner, instead of a toy?
For not much more significant weight you have something with you that you can both hang a can with and...
might save a life.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The S Biner is super light and it's purpose is for light loads. I don't have the skillset to do any mountaineering type of rope work with a real carabiner anyways

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know there are lighter ones, but my lightest "real" carabiners are non-locking BD ovals that weigh 62g. Those S-biners have listed weights as low as 1g for the little plastic ones. I have a couple of metal ones that are 3g, I think, but don't really use them, and am not even sure where they are. Pretty big weight difference, though, if all you're going to use it for is hanging some lightweight item like a bear bag.
 Post Number: 29
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2013, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zipper pull thermometer.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 30
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ Nov. 26 2013, 6:05 pm)
Dirty Girl Gaiters

I want dirty girls for Christmas.
30 replies since Nov. 21 2013, 11:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stocking Stuffers
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions