2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpack too large :(< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Gergify Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 8:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I recently retired my Gregory Z65 (M) for a Kelty 110 for a rather long trip I'm planning on taking soon. I got the backpack today and everything is fantastic. Until I read the little card that goes over fitting. Now I'm concerned the backpack is slightly too big. The shoulder straps are not flush against my back.

I've been backpacking for about 2 years now with the Gregory, it had the same thing... Did I screw up in the beginning (being a total noob) with torso sizing? I'm 5'5". I just went off my old torso size when ordering.. Everything else fits fine, am I in the clear or do I have to go through the stinking RMA process and struggle to find a large backpack in my price range that is a different size?

?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Gergify Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Resolved! I'm gonna bite the bullet and do this right, I'll have to settle with a Kelty 90. I'll just be wiser with my packing I suppose!
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You are not a large in that particular model. Height has nothing to do with it. Torso length is what you should be measuring.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 26 2013, 8:15 pm)
You are not a large in that particular model. Height has nothing to do with it. Torso length is what you should be measuring.

+1.  Google various videos on "how to measure torso size", and measure it yourself.  Or have someone help you.  Then find a pack that fits it well in the correct size.  "S, M, L" have nothing to do with pack size (as in, "I need a large pack for all my stuff"), those sizes refer to the torso lengths.  One can get a really big "S" pack or a huge "L" pack.

But yeah, that pack frame is too long for you, whichever size it is.  You might be able to use it anyway, but it isn't an optimal fit.  If you can still return it and exchange it for another, I would.

ETA:  Here's a shot of my custom-made pack, loaded with about ~65 lbs a few years ago.  It was made specifically for me and fits spectacularly.  The shoulder straps wrap gently around the top of my shoulders without going halfway down my back, and the load-lifters angle from the top of the frame at about 45 degrees or so.  Just for reference.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thjs is a perfect case for getting a pack adjusted by an outfitter even if you don't ultimately buy from that store. It saves a lot of troubles on the trail.  :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 6
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 to comments above.

I just went off my old torso size when ordering.. Everything else fits fine, am I in the clear or do I have to go through the stinking RMA process and struggle to find a large backpack in my price range that is a different size?

It definitely doesn't fit fine - those straps are sitting about 2-3 inches too high. Your torso clearly wasn't measured correctly to begin with. It needs to be measured from the C7 vertebra to the Illiac crest - not your "front" hip bone but the actual top of the hip bone.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-torso-hip-size.html

Height gives a general sense of torso length but can vary a lot. I'm 5'8" and wear a small (16") whereas my buddy who is 5'9" wears a large (19").

Good luck.
5 replies since Nov. 26 2013, 8:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpack too large :(
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions