2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pulk question.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 5:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to hike in to a shelter to camp in a couple of weeks, and there may be enough snow to ski in.  Question is this:  if I make a pulk out of a plastic kid's sled, how do I attach it to my body?  What works out to be the most comfortable?  It may be weighed down with a mini-keg. :p  Or two.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best setup I've found is using a climbing harness. It pulls evenly from my waist that way. I use parachute cord in a "V" from both sides of the sled. It tracks behind me easier that way. I have two positions (a longer V and a shorter one) for when I am in heavy brush or when I am in open country.

I clip a utility biner down low on the back of the climbing harness and hook from that point. I've tried belts and daypacks but it is not nearly as comfortable. I have found several climbing harness super cheap at used gear stores.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

read this

It has a video and everything

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check here
Lots of information. Older external frame padded waist belt with loops. Stick loop on end of ropes through loops on belt and attach with small biner.
I am in the process of making a new one as I trashed my old one. I don't like my new one but it's the best I could find. You can come over and see it. Poles and skegs/rudder whatever are helpful. Stop over and I'll show you my old and new ones.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

watch these video
 Post Number: 6
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TONS of pulk reading here.  Some specifically about harnesses:

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....hl=pulk

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

another video
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an old waistbelt that I can use, I don't want to put much money into this because we don't really get enough snow to justify spending much more than a couple of bucks.  Will be hiking/skiing down a forest road so I don't think I'll need a brake or poles.  I've got an old Kelty external frame pack to use if there isn't enough snow to ski on.  Thanks for all of the input.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Make sure and try your setup ahead of time. I can't tell you how uncomfortable I found the waistband setup to be. It dug into my waist and nearly rubbed me raw. It also was constantly forcing my pants down.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 5:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will do.  Thanks for the advice.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I put the poles on my new kids sled and attached the belt to the poles today. I took it for a little walk in the yard. It tracks pretty well but slides down hill when traversing the hill. I will make some small skegs for it. I will try to add some picks.

Post Number: 12
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too use poles. If you want to do it on the cheap use 5/8" PVC and criss cross the poles so it tracks better behind you. Run rope through the poles as a back up if something should happen to the poles.
I don't believe in pulling a pulk with rope. If and when you go down hill it will run you over.
I use an old backpack hip belt and carabiners to attach the poles to both the pulk and hip belt.
Cover it with a tarp, and off you go.
That of course will lead to you building an entire new set-up once to get a few miles under your belt pulling your pulk.

compliments to my friend NCThiker

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Didn't end up building the pulk, although there was enough snow to use it.  The mini-keg worked quite well though. :D

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
12 replies since Nov. 27 2013, 5:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pulk question.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions