2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hall of Fame Gear, What do YOU think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 10:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The magazine this month has an interesting teaser on the cover that's not supported by the piece it represents. The cover says "Hall of Fame Gear." I immediately thought of ground-breaking classics that shaped the way we backpack today. There was one mentioned in the article, IMHO; the Marmot Precip - an affordable, light, trail-tough, waterproof-breathable shell. Something you could recommend to a friend.

So I'm thinking of time and trail-tested gear that would get my vote for an imaginary gear Hall of Fame.

- MSR Pocket Rocket - cheap, light, easy, bombproof

- Jetboil - an innovation that saves fuel & simplifies life on the trail

- Katadyn (Pur) Hiker Microfilter - the cheap & simple filter that allowed us to believe water in the wilderness is bad for you

- Petzl Tikka - allowed us to ditch the flashlight without carrying a helmet, beltpack, or ziplock full of batteries

- any digital camera - now we take more than 27 pictures on a trip

- Cascade Designs NeoAir - now old dudes can get a good night's sleep on the trail

- Kelty Nobendium tent stakes - the first stakes I didn't have to straighten back out after use

- Sea to Summit folding bucket - wouldn't dream of backpacking without it

- cotton bandana - washcloth, towel, handkerchief, potholder, bandage, tourniquet, scarf, hat. Keep it handy and you'll use it all day long

There's a short list to start. What gets your vote?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MSR groundhog tent stakes.  

ExPed pillow (for those that like pillows)

SAK

Fleece neck gaiter

OR Croc gaiters

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 2:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Golite Gust! 18 oz., 60 liters. I've used and abused mine for a decade, and it still looks like brand new...
 Post Number: 4
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 2:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LEKI trekking poles

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 2:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whitebox stove

McHale packs

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marmot Precip.  I'm guessing almost everyone here has owned one.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 7
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 7:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sawyer Squeeze.

Trail runners.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 8
mattofcarlisle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 for the pocket rocket.
 Post Number: 9
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hydration bladders, Camelbak in particular.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 10
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll need help with "SAK" - Sierra Alpine Kup is the best I can come up with.

HPD - I seriously doubt your pack looks brand new - you probably just see the memories. A classic though.

I didn't have the nerve to offer up a sleeping bag or tent. People take their bags & tents personally and fight for them. I enjoy a good gear fight, so give me your best shot. I nominate:

- TNF Blue Kazoo - affordable, tough, down bag that converted me from a life of synthetics

- Eureka Spitfire - crazy cheap but tough. So light and easy I gave up my tarp
 Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SAK = Swiss Army Knife

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ibuprofen
 Post Number: 13
kellem Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Um...Steripen :)
 Post Number: 14
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TNF Cat's Meow. I bet that's the best selling sleeping bag of all time, at least quality sleeping bag that's not a rectangular Coleman or something.
Still have the Polarguard 3D version, though it's not been used in some time.
Found this page that shows part of the progression with different year models, but it has both the years and weights wrong on some of them(my "2001" 3D was bought before 2000, matches the pic for a 2003, and weighs half a pound more than they list). It was still interesting to see the different versions, though.
http://tnfcatsmeow.weebly.com/the-cat....rs.html
 Post Number: 15
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Nov. 28 2013, 7:14 am)
Marmot Precip.  I'm guessing almost everyone here has owned one.

Nope! When I needed a rain jacket I read the reviews and thought they were pretty poor for the Marmot Precip. And probably for all coated jackets.
 Post Number: 16
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are the criteria for the Hall of Fame? I have a fondness for gear that is serviceable, cheap, and moderately light, since I'm unwilling to pay for ultralight. Here are my Hall of Fame nominations:

BACKPACK: Osprey Aether/Ariel
MATRESS: Exped Synmat 7
SLEEPING BAG: LL Bean down 35 semi-rectangular
TENT: Alps Zephyr 2

That's about $470 worth of gear at sale prices.

I agree with the bandana and the Swiss Army Knife---I have both with me almost always, everywhere where I go.
 Post Number: 17
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Sky Mirage 2P tent
Thermarest NeoAir sleeping pad
Gossamer Gear LT4 trekking poles

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 18
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a few more classics, in the "Cheap Ultra-Light" category:

Dri-Ducks rain jackets are the most waterproof, breathable raingear I've ever owned. So breathable in fact, that it is the only jacket that I carry 3-season, (I've even slept in it.)... 5 oz., $20.

Eagle Timberline Water Filter: 5 oz., $25. Reliable, fast-pumping, it's all I've ever needed. (In the desert, out of desperation, I've used it to suck water out of cattle footprints in the mud.)

Equinox XL Poncho-Tarp: 8 oz.,5' by 8.5', $70, Campmor. In rain, it covers me, with pack, down to my ankles. And, it's the only shelter I carry. Pitched in a half-pyramid against thewind with one hiking pole  tepee-style, it has given me dry protection from some of the most violent rainstorms I've ever encountered backpacking.

Slivered Mylar Blanket: $3...I use it as a groundcloth under the poncho tarp. It not only keeps me dry from the ground, but it reflects heat back upward to my sleeping quilt, enabling me to use a short torso-length sleeping pad, while my legs lay directly on the Silvered Mylar.

Heinekin 24 oz. Beer Can: 1 oz., Because I do all my cooking Freezer-Bag style, and all I ever need to do is to boil water, I don't need fancy cookware, This barrel-shaped aluminum can is the only cooking utensil that I carry and it should be a backpacking-gear classic.
 Post Number: 19
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll second the Golite Gust.

Trangia burner is my first choice.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 20
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Single malt

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 21
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nylon
 Post Number: 22
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Granite Gear Vapor Trail
Western Mountaineering HighLite
Black Diamond Beta Light

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 23
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's see... Of the things listed, I'll second the White Box stove, ibuprofen, and the neo air mattress (also let's old broads get a good night's sleep on the ground).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whisperlite Stove. Always reliable.

Aquamira drops - so much better than filtering and little aftertaste relative to iodine.
 Post Number: 25
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Hall of Fame Gear. … ground-breaking classics that shaped the way we backpack today.”

Sitting here in a Turkey stupor, why not stir the pot some…BTW, What are the criteria for the Gear Hall of Fame? Classics should be more like Cal Ripken Jr. vs. Kim Kardashian. Just because something is hot now… the latest/greatest thing since sliced bread does not mean it deserves HOF status.

If I had a vote for backpacking HOF Gear.

Of all the items mentioned so far, Single Malt, bandanas, SAK, and Ibuprofen (or Excedrin Migraine) certainly merit inclusion.

External Packs… maybe the Kelty Tioga or Jansport? Internal frame packs too deserve inclusion as they were a vast improvement over what came before… the Gregory Shasta or MR?, then maybe UL or something McHale? HOF status – proven, innovative/ improved, all these packs set standards for years, (not one-season wonders.) Hard to be a Classic when the pack is designed for one hard season only, and then another “better” version comes out next year. Specifically modern packs (like The Golite Gust or the flimsy Osprey Aether).
HOF stoves might include the MSR XG, Optimus, or the SVEA 123…after that maybe just canister stoves in general…Peak 1? … Maybe a pocket rocket but a remote canister type would get my 3-season vote here.

HOF gear is something wished for, desired, used, probably carried for years, not just the newest/latest version/over-advertised, (soon to be changed). Personally I would not vote for anything labeled Jetboil, NeoAir, Dry-Duck, Leki, etc as they either don’t work for me or there are well-reported problems and probably not trusted. The Marmot Precip jacket was a good example of gear widely bought, touted highly, but not proven out in the field… (Did not keep you dry) and better options were available.
Water filtration systems deserve a place as better than drops or chlorine…but did any really stand out? Katadyn (Pur) Hiker? Sure..other too. Perhaps the tiny new gravity devices like the Sawyer purification system might deserve a vote too…in a few years. Steripens do show promise when travelling to new cities but anything with glass and off trail...electric and backpacking?

Headlamps deserve a place as proven better than flashlights but to single out one… Petzl Tikka, Black Diamond…? OK.

Nylon deserves a vote – better than Burlap…maybe then Gortex, (Event?), and Silnylon? Maybe Cuban Fiber deserves a HOF vote too.

To vote on a sleeping bag, the advent of down over synthetic: Lot of good options in the Sierra Design, The Blue Kazoo/Cats Meow/hydrogen/helium/Kelty/ North Face logjam but ultimately would be won by something Western Mountaineering or FF.

This still leaves tents, pads, hammocks, and quilts, Boots, Trail Runners, underwear, socks, fleece, shells, hats, glasses, cameras, pots and cups, spoons, knives bells and whistles…
I give.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 26
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kellem @ Nov. 28 2013, 7:45 pm)
Um...Steripen :)

+1

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 27
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Western Mountaineering Apache,  Tarptent Moment,  Smartwool socks, and Dr Bronners Castile Soap.
 Post Number: 28
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(paula53 @ Nov. 29 2013, 5:53 pm)
... and Dr Bronners Castile Soap.

+1, unscented of course.  
I'll add freeze dried technology.
 Post Number: 29
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2013, 7:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple items that I retired years ago that would go into my hall of fame:

*My external frame Jansport I bought around 1982

*The Nalgene bottle

Gear I use currently that might be destined for the hall of fame:

*Smartwool base layer

*Bear Vault Solo
 Post Number: 30
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2013, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

HS Tarptent and Handspresso

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
48 replies since Nov. 27 2013, 10:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hall of Fame Gear
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions