2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Extended Frame?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 7:14 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it me or does it seem this external would tower over your head by a few feet??  Look at the pix #20 or so that show the harness...

btw...anyone have a similar external they're looking to sell ...reasonably...as in $50-60??

http://www.ebay.com/itm....9cdac6e

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 7:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The JanSport frame on the Carson, is similar to the old or revised D2 external frame pack. Most of the crossbars are adjustable to fine tune torso length and fit. The overhead height measured from the top shoulder strap attachment doesn't look much greater than some expedition high capacity internal frame packs. Price looks ok, but I suspect a discounted new Carson can be had around the $100.00 mark. Note, the newer Carson belt design is different from the one you posted; the older uses a side cinch/slider, where the newer ones cinch on the front of the belt. Of the two, I prefer the older system which is similar to my gianormous JanSport Alaskan 90 internal frame (REI uses a similar system).

I have a very nice Kelty external which I may be interested in selling with similar capacity. It's an older model, no longer sold, and was one the multiple versions of the venerable Tioga. I bought it used, but it looks new. I haven't used it. If interested, PM me, leave an e-mail, and I can send some photos. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I think I can get into your price range, not counting shipping.

--------------
Dennis Waite
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 9:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just noticed the sizing tag photograph on the Carson; it is size "Tall" so . . . buyer beware.

--------------
Dennis Waite
 Post Number: 4
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw that as well..after I posted.

I'm 5'6".....I could use that frame to change lightbulbs.

PM coming at ya

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 5
jeffDVM Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis Waite @ Dec. 04 2013, 7:54 am)
The JanSport frame on the Carson, is similar to the old or revised D2 external frame pack. Most of the crossbars are adjustable to fine tune torso length and fit. The overhead height measured from the top shoulder strap attachment doesn't look much greater than some expedition high capacity internal frame packs. Price looks ok, but I suspect a discounted new Carson can be had around the $100.00 mark. Note, the newer Carson belt design is different from the one you posted; the older uses a side cinch/slider, where the newer ones cinch on the front of the belt. Of the two, I prefer the older system which is similar to my gianormous JanSport Alaskan 90 internal frame (REI uses a similar system).

I have a very nice Kelty external which I may be interested in selling with similar capacity. It's an older model, no longer sold, and was one the multiple versions of the venerable Tioga. I bought it used, but it looks new. I haven't used it. If interested, PM me, leave an e-mail, and I can send some photos. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I think I can get into your price range, not counting shipping.

Do you know if they still make parts for those old packs?

I have an old kelty super cirque that has been a favorite since the mid 80's.  I know I have replaced the shoulder straps at least once, and maybe the hip belt too, but the belt needs to be replaced again before it can carry any significant weight.   It has lost all its support.

I have contacted kelty, but no response as of yet.

Thanks
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 6:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't researched replacement belts, but as Kelty still makes frame packs I sure something is available. There are numerous frame packs still being made, all with similar belt systems. An older company which made similar frame packs, and I don't know if it still exists, was CampTrails. They sold a replacement belt for years. You might also see if the belt made for skipulk.com could be used. Many of the older Tioga like models incorporated the frame's lower back panel into the belt so a simple belt replacement may need to come from Kelty. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

--------------
Dennis Waite
 Post Number: 7
jeffDVM Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis Waite @ Dec. 16 2013, 6:36 am)
I haven't researched replacement belts, but as Kelty still makes frame packs I sure something is available. There are numerous frame packs still being made, all with similar belt systems. An older company which made similar frame packs, and I don't know if it still exists, was CampTrails. They sold a replacement belt for years. You might also see if the belt made for skipulk.com could be used. Many of the older Tioga like models incorporated the frame's lower back panel into the belt so a simple belt replacement may need to come from Kelty. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

That is helpful.  I am still waiting for Kelty's reply.  
Thanks
 Post Number: 8
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think campmor still sells a good waist belt.
7 replies since Dec. 04 2013, 7:14 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Extended Frame?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions