2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thermal dynamics question, Clothes related< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 5:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always been under the impression from reading and talking to knowledgeable people in the field that more than anything it's the thickness, loft, if you will, of clothing and sleeping bags that determine their warmth.  That is, given that the material is dry and not next to your skin where conductive cooling can take place, four inches of down really isn't any warmer than four inches of wool, cotton or steel wool for that matter.  It's the loft. Of course down is infinitely more preferable because of it it's weight and compressibility but really isn't any warmer. Therefore, I'm always somewhat puzzled by manufacturers' claims that they have a new thinner, lighter and warmer material. I don't think it can be unless there's some sort of independent warming mechanism i.e. electricity, in the material.  What's your take on this?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not entirely that simple.  The air within the loft has to be dead air.  If it has freedom of movement, it allows internal convection within the insulating layer that allows heat to move to its boundaries, and from there to be lost by any heat transfer mechanism.  A thinner layer of truly dead air can be warmer than a thicker layer that isn't as stabilized.  However, there are definitely limits, and I'm dubious of high R-value claims for very thin layers.
 Post Number: 3
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't want to argue with the knowledgeable people in the field, but I think you may be confusing insulation and warmth.  Warmth is generated by your body and the role of insulation is to retain as much of that heat as possible.  

Talk to your people about the three ways heat is transferred: radiation, conduction, and convection.
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Dec. 07 2013, 5:52 pm)
I don't want to argue with the knowledgeable people in the field, but I think you may be confusing insulation and warmth.  Warmth is generated by your body and the role of insulation is to retain as much of that heat as possible.  

Talk to your people about the three ways heat is transferred: radiation, conduction, and convection.

You're point on warmth vs insulation is well taken and I understand that.  Matter of semantics but your take is the better of two.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll echo what big_load said.  Air is an excellent insulator as long as it can't move.  What we generally call "insulation" is mostly designed to entrap and immobilize air.  Generally speaking, a denser insulation will do a better job of holding the air still, but if it gets too dense then its own conductivity can start to work against it.  Fine steel wool, for example, might entrain air very well, especially if you pack it real tight, but then the conductivity of the steel will overwhelm the benefit of the entrained air.

So the challenge for clothing and bag designers is to find insulating materials that have the best combination of low conductivity, low weight, good immobilization of air, minimal thickness, acceptable cost, etc.  There ain't no free lunch.
 Post Number: 6
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay, sorry, I didn't intend to be nit-picking.
 Post Number: 7
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What big_load said .. insulate properties vary from one material to another.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aerogel...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 07 2013, 8:27 pm)
Aerogel...

WAAAYYYY too heavy for clothing, but it does have fantastic insulating properties!  On the other hand, if you want the best insulating insoles on the planet....
http://www.amazon.com/MCR-Saf...._shoe_1

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
8 replies since Dec. 07 2013, 5:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Thermal dynamics question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions