2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: GPS shopping - need tech type input< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
greenfeet Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 9:50 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never owned a GPS and, unless otherwise enlightened, I have it narrowed down to a couple. I will purchase detailed maps later

The garmin Etrex30

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US....74.html

Or

The Garmin GPSMAP 62

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US....01.html

Comparing specs they look very close. In what makes them run. Now the 62 has the larger more powerful antenna but the etrex30 has the Russian based GLONASS which is still being developed.

For you tech guys out there, could this have better locating power or possibly certain amount of redundancy in the event civilian GPS goes down?

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Doggone/GA Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I was looking for a GPS for recording the locations of waterfalls, above all I wanted one that was not hampered by tree cover (I had one that was)...so I looked around on the internet and found a site for professional foresters that recommended the Garmin GPSmap 60csx.  

It's previous generation technology, but the one I have works great, has never had a problem finding the satellites...even under heavy cover, and I got it for about 1/3 the cost it was when it was brand new.

Look in eBay, there are always lots of them for sale.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What do you want to use it for?
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiking mostly. Most of the time outside of normal cell phone coverage
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes but what do you want the gps to do?

Simply generate a track for later uploading to GoogleEarth or your home computer? Just display coordinates to plot on a paper map using a gps plastic grid (the 30 or even simpler Etrexs do that fine) or display a map with 1:24K detail and your location... Have a pre-planned route loaded into it from your computer that you'll follow on the ground on the displayed map? for the latter the larger screen makes a 60 series or others a better fit, I've a 60csx and that tiny screen makes actual navigation like peering through a keyhole... and the etrx, IIRC has smaller display.

As mentioned above the 60 series already had a sensitive enough chipset with good software to deliver a solid location even with a lot of confusing multiple reflections as happens in dense cover, narrow canyons etc. Mine easily plots the location of my dining room when sitting on the table where there's NO direct sky available, just reflections off opposing walls... The Russian system may be relevant in other parts of the world but for N. America: tech-frill. Performance in bad reception conditions would be the more telling metric if the units you're interested in differ there.

FWIW If you've got a smartphone you can load a map app such as Gaia or one of the Backpacker ones, preload maps and see how you like it. Once the maps are preloaded a cell data signal isn't necessary, just have the gps powered up (which means having the thing out of "airplane" mode for some phones, there may be some where that radio is controlled separately but not iPhones). The initial location will take a slight bit longer as phones use tower information to select which of the gps satellites to "look" for, otherwise they methodically go through the entire list and that's a lot longer process (which is what a standalone gps unit does when you switch coasts for the first time, they've no cell information so they just wade through the list...
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just at. Glance, i am sure that either of those models will do what I need. I have two gps apps, one is gaia, on my phone.

I was wondering if here is a better choice one way or another between the larger stronger Antenna or Glonass
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best signal reception you can get is what will determine your position and your position is what it's all about.
 Post Number: 8
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used the Garmin 60csx since it came out......won't find better than that, but its old stuff.  Finally just bought a Garmin 62s. Checked them intensely at the OR show.  Basicly they are the same as the csx but you can load aerial photos with birdseye if you want and the compass works at any angle.  The s still has the compass and barometer and a updated interface, more internal memory.  Got it on sale for $199.00.  Seen that price at REI, Cabellas, etc.  Probably go on sale again, just watch.

Stay USA............my 60csx always locks in better than my friends etrex and Colorado.  I have had full strength bars across the screen and the others can't find all the satellites.   Smartphones are a phone, not a GPSr.

There is a reason that Forester's use em.  I always see the 60csx and the 62s being used for mapping and pinpointing location on Wildland fires...there is a reason, they are acurrate
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I own the old etrex vista, a dakota 450 and a gps 62s.  They all get excellent reception.

The antenna on the 62s is not more powerful.  It is a passive quad helix antenna. That is why it has to stick out from the top of the unit (because it is passive). The etrex units have an active patch antenna that can be housed inside the unit.
 Post Number: 10
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had at least five handheld Garmin receivers over the years and as features are about the same then it really comes down to size.

At present, I have both a 60Csx and a Legend Hcx....

Personally, for hiking, I prefer not to have the external antenna as it's often in the way and takes up more space.....

I think having the Russian system would be an interesting thing to test side by side with our own system....plus the etrex30 is somewhat smaller as well....a little better battery life, compass and altimeter....  I'd go with the 30....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Dec. 14 2013, 8:56 am)
Smartphones are a phone, not a GPSr.

I've been using my previous smartphone and current one as my "primary" GPS for several years now off-trail, often under dense cover, with no issues using the Gaia app that was referenced. It works just fine and is plenty accurate enough for me to hike 50 miles effortlessly.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
10 replies since Dec. 13 2013, 9:50 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply GPS shopping - need tech type input
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions