2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Heavy boot help< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jeffDVM Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 11:12 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A little history, I grew up on the old style Vasque leather boots.  Sundowners and a full Goodyear welt boot that I can't recall the name of.  I moved to the Moraine when Montrail was One Sport and Vasque had slid in quality.  I loved those boots.  

Yes, they are heavy, but they wear like iron and offer good support.  I have, and wear, other brands of lighter hikers, but I just prefer these heavyweights for many uses.

So I find myself in need/want of another heavy set of backpacking boots.  Waterproof, sturdy and all leather.

I am having a really hard time finding them.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  Who makes boots like those of old?

My budget is about $300, but I can go higher if I have to do so for a good boot.

Thanks for the help
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Limmer, Asolo has a few still I think, Danner.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you looked at this Asolo?   this Zamberlan?  or this Danner?   Just hang out in the REI site, find out what looks good to you, and then go try them on wherever you can find them.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lol.................memories, Vasque's are what I started on.  

Check Scarpa, Lowe.  Look toward a mountaineering boot, they are heavy!
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 14 2013, 11:17 am)
Limmer, Asolo has a few still I think, Danner.

I have seen Limmer.  I really like those that I have seen, but I don't think a visit to NH is likely anytime soon.

I guess I need to look at Aslo again.  I had a couple of bad experiences with them in the 90's.  Maybe they are different than they used to be.  

Thanks for the help
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 14 2013, 11:31 am)
Have you looked at this Asolo?   this Zamberlan?  or this Danner?   Just hang out in the REI site, find out what looks good to you, and then go try them on wherever you can find them.

I have been all over the site, and I have found a few that I like, finding them in the stores to actually try them on is a different story.  

Do you have any experience with the Zamberlains?  I did see a few that look like what I was after, but no where to try them on.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Dec. 14 2013, 11:59 am)
lol.................memories, Vasque's are what I started on.  

Check Scarpa, Lowe.  Look toward a mountaineering boot, they are heavy!

I wonder how many miles those old Sundowners went before they gave up?  The new style, me second pair, fell apart in no time.  I have heard Vasque has improved, but I kinda hold a grudge after the last set I had.

I will check the other suggestions too.  Any personal experience with any of them?

What is called a mountaineering boot today is a heavy synthetic, plastic beast that looks more like it would be at home in a ski than on a trail.  

I guess I am getting old, or just not changing with the times.

Thanks for the help.
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I owned one set of Zamberlan's many years ago.  Nothing recently, as I have swapped out to trail runners for backpacking.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Working on my 2nd pair of Asolo's. The TPS 520 GV's have been very comfortable from the first day and show good quality. Shop around a bit and you can get good deals.  My son has a pair of Limmer's and they are super but came with a very healthy price tag.

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 10
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have also found difficulty finding a satisfying boot over the last several years. I have owned a couple pairs of Asolo boots, and have found their quality to slip. I know you are looking for all leather, but I urge you to consider the Lowa Ticam. These boots are 25% more beef than my last Kayland Vertigo, and Asolo TPS 520's. I have posted a review on trailspace.com, and you can also find a brief one here on backpacker.com. I got them on sale, but they retail for $350.00.

Best of luck finding your new solemates! heh

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spac3man @ Dec. 14 2013, 2:27 pm)
I have also found difficulty finding a satisfying boot over the last several years. I have owned a couple pairs of Asolo boots, and have found their quality to slip. I know you are looking for all leather, but I urge you to consider the Lowa Ticam. These boots are 25% more beef than my last Kayland Vertigo, and Asolo TPS 520's. I have posted a review on trailspace.com, and you can also find a brief one here on backpacker.com. I got them on sale, but they retail for $350.00.

Best of luck finding your new solemates! heh

Thanks, I will take a look.

One of the reasons I was looking at all leather has to do with fire.

I helped put out a small campsite fire, not of my making.   The boots that I was wearing were a heavy set of North Face hikers that are not made any longer.  When we were done with the mess, all the nylon on my boots had melted.  No injury to my feet, but half the boot was gone.  It made hiking out a real chore.

The other reason has just been durability.  There is just nothing like a good chunk of leather....
 Post Number: 12
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The ticam only doesn't have a leather inner lining.

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 13
unclehubert Search for posts by this member.
ambivalence!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 12:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alico. I have these, and they are great.

Alico

--------------
Hey!

Ego similis ambulo dudus!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 6:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(unclehubert @ Dec. 15 2013, 12:48 am)
Alico. I have these, and they are great.

Alico

I found those late last night.   They look exactly like my first pair of Vasque Boots.   Can you tell me about the fit?   I typically wear a 13, sometime I really need a 13 1/2, but try finding that!

Dad still has those old Vasque  boots.  My foot grew a little after I bought them.  I wonder how many miles we have one them?

Thanks for the help.
 Post Number: 15
Moraine Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 8:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are any of your old boots in good enough shape to be re-soled?  I just had my One Sport Moraines done and they turned out great.  I'm like you, I really like/need a heavy boot.  I am so happy I was able to get mine repaired.
 Post Number: 16
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never having had enough scratch to lay down $300 on a pair of boots, I've found Keen Klamath to be a good, heavy, thick-lugged, WP, insulated boot. I've been wearing this pair for about a year, wear them damned near every day when it's cold out, and aside from regular W&T, they're still warm, WP and just have that 'used' look.

They've got a new higher-topped boot, now, too.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Moraine @ Dec. 15 2013, 8:00 am)
Are any of your old boots in good enough shape to be re-soled?  I just had my One Sport Moraines done and they turned out great.  I'm like you, I really like/need a heavy boot.  I am so happy I was able to get mine repaired.

Nope, for two reasons.  First, something changed in my feet.  This has happened twice.  Each time I went up between 1/2 to one full size.  My I would have co side red that with my old Vasque  and moraine boots if I could.  The others that I have are just worn slap out.  

I sure wish I could.  It really is a shame they quit making the moraine.  I never heard any complaints other than weight from anyone I knew that had them.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Dec. 15 2013, 8:49 am)
Never having had enough scratch to lay down $300 on a pair of boots, I've found Keen Klamath to be a good, heavy, thick-lugged, WP, insulated boot. I've been wearing this pair for about a year, wear them damned near every day when it's cold out, and aside from regular W&T, they're still warm, WP and just have that 'used' look.

I have not had a set of keen yet.  How long do they last you?  

I research the devil out of boots and other durable items before I buy.  I expect them to last.  If I can find less expensive boots that are built like I hope and last like a quality leather boot should, I will give them a shot.

This is one reason I hate the light weight synthetic hikers.  All that I have ever owned get sloppy and wear out in less than a year.  All of my leather ones last at least 3 years, and most have exceeded 5.  Spending the extra for the time durability makes it affordable for me, but then I carry a super cirque from 1986 or so too.  I still have not completely given up on my peak one stove either...lol

I did give up on the peak one pack from boyscout days though!

Thanks for the help.  I will take a look at them.
 Post Number: 19
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jeff,

I'm like you. Your hiking footwear is the single most important gear decision. Try the Merrill Wilderness at Backcountry.com. This is exactly what you asked for and @ $300.00. We are in agreement regarding cost. If you were to calculate cost per mile with the "trail shoes" the heavier duty boots are more cost-effective and no stubbed toes, twisted ankles, good edging on rock, better traction etc., etc. Good Luck!
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ Dec. 15 2013, 7:20 pm)
Jeff,

I'm like you. Your hiking footwear is the single most important gear decision. Try the Merrill Wilderness at Backcountry.com. This is exactly what you asked for and @ $300.00. We are in agreement regarding cost. If you were to calculate cost per mile with the "trail shoes" the heavier duty boots are more cost-effective and no stubbed toes, twisted ankles, good edging on rock, better traction etc., etc. Good Luck!

Thanks  I will take a look.
 Post Number: 21
mitchy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take a look at the La Sportiva Makalu. It's a little beefier than the the Moraine, but will serve you well if it fits your foot. La Sportiva boots tend to fit a narrower foot.
 Post Number: 22
mitchy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^^The boot doesn't have a waterproof liner like the Sundowners of various other boots mentioned, but it is all leather. I use something like limmer boot cream or any silicon based leather treatment and have never had my boots leak.
 Post Number: 23
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Dec. 15 2013, 5:49 am)

I did when I was young and single. They ended up being a great investment and lasted somewhere in the 12 year range. I should have had them resoled.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 24
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ Dec. 15 2013, 7:20 pm)
Jeff,

If you want boots, stop trying to justify them by listing all the problems that don't exist with shoes.

I had more problems with my ankles when I was trying to pretend that I needed boots, and those stubbed toes, edging, etc improved when I switched to shoes...

There are reasons to use a boot but you haven't listed them yet.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
23 replies since Dec. 14 2013, 11:12 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Heavy boot help
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions