2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gaia GPS App Users - How do I dowload trails?, Got map, need trails< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 6:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have used the Gaia GPS app to track trips before (cookie crumbs and trip computer). I know how to download the area maps... but I can't quite figure out how to search for trails and load them.

When I am on the map page it gives me icons on the screen. I can open them for more info and it will allow me to navigate to that spot, but even the markers that are labeled with trail icons don't load a "trail" in to the map.

I went on the cloud (never knew how to use that before - just made an account) and the only tracks I think I can access are my own that were synced to the cloud.

What I think I want to do is find existing "tracks" of the trails I want to hike and load them in to the list on my iphone so I can follow them/lay a new track over top to track the trip stats.

Can I do what I am trying to do?

--------------
Steve
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Theres a user guide

http://help.gaiagps.com/knowled....nd-kml-
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm. I guess I'm lost in the stone ages.

That describes file formats that it can import. Where do I search for the trails and how do I download them to where I can import them in the first place???? Unless I am missing something there is no such search option in the Gaia GPS app itself, am I correct?

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Search:
"Resources to Find Data to Use:
There are many resources to find GPX data files with waypoint and track information you can use in Gaia GPS.
cloud.gps.com has a lot of public tracks that you can add to your GaiaCloud account. To add a public track, go to the "Gallery" tab and click on a file's name and then click on "Sync to Cloud" to add it to your GaiaCloud account.
EveryTrail.com has a large repository of GPX files, as does mtbguru.com."

Download:
"How to Import Tracks and Waypoints (GPX and KML)
← Managing Your Tracks
Import KML and GPX through GaiaCloud
Import GPX Files through Email (same method for DropBox or opening files from other apps)
Import GPX Files through iTunes (version 6.4 or higher)
Please note that KML must currently be imported to GaiaCloud (first option above) or converted to GPX. We will soon re-enable local KML imports via email and iTunes too."
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The routes listed in the "destinations" section of Backpacker.com also have GPX file export as a feature.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The closest section I have come to finding "routes" is the Maps section of Trip Tools in Destinations. Surfing the site I managed to get another app on my phone for GPS/nav/maps/trails but that wasn't what I want - I just want to add a trail map to what I have (gaia, not download another app).

I did find a section with trip reports doing a search for routes pertaining to the area I want to go, but there were no downloadable tracks/trails/routes that I found there either.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well the files you want, and which the Gaia user guide sections i quoted show you how to add are "GPX" files so I'd suggest using that term in addition to the area where you are interested in going.
That's how this popped up:

http://www.topofusion.com/gpx.php

Or ask specifically about them in the respective regional forums.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are lots of GPX files out there with trails on them, but most I'm familiar with are one-at-a-time downloads.  For example, many of trails on the HikeArizona.com TrailDex have recorded tracks, but you have to go to each trail separately to see them.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That probably wouldn't matter in my case too much. It looks like we'll be on one trail in and back out. Though, if I had the other one that it meets up with ready to load that would work too. At that point my recorded track would be enough though.

My concern is identifying the trail in with snow cover = having an existing trail on the map to follow would be nice.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could understand the struggle of trying to find a trail in fresh powder although between markers and the somewhat unnatural gape in the forest is usually plenty enough to see one for me. Part of the reason I go off-trail in winter is I get to pick whatever path I want and use the terrain to my advantage.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, if you don't need to have the trail as a definite track, some of the better downloadable maps at have trails in their imagery.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd just like to have the trail as a reference as there are switchbacks, the first set is pretty long (1/4-1/2 mile). Aside from that, the creek the trail follows most of the way and the terrain should be enough of a reference while I'm out there. I can pretty much find where I want to get to from the creek and knowing the elevation.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't seen a map or GPS track yet that represented switchbacks in accurate fine detail.
12 replies since Dec. 14 2013, 6:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gaia GPS App Users - How do I dowload trails?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions