2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Join 2 trekking poles, Need a tall pole for a tipi style tent< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Jambeaux Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 9:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Recently I saw a device (made of plastic) that facilitated the joining of 2 trekking poles, effectively giving you 1 tall pole. I thought I had bookmarked it but apparently I didn't. Does anyone know of such a device?

Thanks,

Al

--------------
laissez le bon temps rouler
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MLD had one with their Duomid?

Plus here:
http://www.rutalocura.com/Polejack.html
 Post Number: 3
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Black Diamond has one.
Not that difficult to make your own.
 Post Number: 4
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 7:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A foot of 1/2" PVC pipe with a cap end.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably get a better fit with a DIY.
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just stating for the record - I've experienced some strong winds in my Golite Shangri-La 5 and can't imagine a gizmo that attaches two poles together to be strong enough for anything but mild winds.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Dec. 15 2013, 2:18 pm)

Thanks Franco, This might be a solution. Do you have a link for this product?

Al

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes , I have a link to the link :
http://www.sunnysports.com/p-bkdolc/black-diamond-pole-link-converter
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Franco, sorry to say it seems that I can't get it. I received this message on the Website:

Sorry, this item has been discontinued and is no longer available, see similar items from the list below

Thanks,

Al

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, I see that.
It was an $8 item so probably not worth making for BD.
Doing a Google search I see one was sold recently on E Bay for $5.
Still it should be easy enough to make, it's just two pockets and some webbing.
I made a very similar one myself before discovering that BD had one.
You do need strong poles for that to work but on my BD, at the 73" of the Shangri La 5 you are looking at, the bottom section extends only a few inches from the mid one and that is having the mid only extended about half way, so most of the pole is doubled up inside itself.

This is a quick MOCK UP of a version you can use IF your straps are strong enough to hold your weight.

I used some Omni tape for the last shot but did not have enough. You need to strap the full section from one pole handle tip to the other so that the two poles cannot twist.
If what I did is not immediately obvious to you, please don't try it.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just realised that I had the wrong size for the SL5 height..( I used the 62" of the SL3)
May still be doable if using very strong trekking poles but for that height I would suggest a dedicated pole.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Franco, after strapping my 2 poles together at the proper height, I'm inclined to agree with you about a dedicated pole. I was just trying to save a little weight.

Thanks,

Al

--------------
 Post Number: 14
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They show the "Pole Link Converter" as still coming with the Mega Light so maybe if you emailed them they would sell it to you. (Black Diamond)

The other method I like is buying an extra lower shaft, and cutting an end off and using it as the lower end of both poles (ie joining them together) (I forget the username of the guy who posted that idea on the forum, he owned a SL 3)

When my 2 piece black diamond pole snapped, and they did not make that diameter replacement part anymore, I got a new 2 piece replacement at a discount. áI then noticed its lower shaft fits into my 3 piece, which extends to 70'.

I have put the MegaMid up with this, careful to build up the snow under it a bit, and also take the pole link just in case , since it is "just" long enough.

I thought GoLite used a pole extender? áI have seen cord used as well.
 Post Number: 15
sticks Search for posts by this member.
Mr. Obvious

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Velcro cable ties work well

--------------
I am the original 'sticks' from the original forums...all others are posers. :cool:
 Post Number: 16
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Golite does use a pole extender for the Shangri-La 3, not the 5 as it is quite a bit taller.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 17
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they are flip lock poles. All I did was take a broken pair I had cut a 4 or 5 inch section from the bottom extension, the part the basket is on.

Now take your two good poles. Remove the bottom section from each pole. Put the short piece in both poles flip lock closed. Done easy and secure.

IF  you don't have a broken pole. DB used to sell just sections of poles on their web site.  You may  have to contact support for that but it was cheap like less than $10 bucks for a section of the non-carbon fiber poles when I bought one a few years back

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
16 replies since Dec. 14 2013, 9:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Join 2 trekking poles
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions