2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: enlightened equipment< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2013, 10:18 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never enjoyed the confines of a sleeping bag, and now looking forward to being able to spread out a little more with a nice warm quilt.  I think I've decided on the Enlightened Equipment RevX 20, with the 20 percent overstuff option.

This will also lighten my load by about a pound.  Opinions?  please share.

My budget is about $220
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOVE my quilt from EE. I have the Prodigy and couldnt be happier. I also have an Enigma that is on the way to my house!! cant wait!!

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 3
MississipVol Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2013, 1:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(aseege1 @ Dec. 20 2013, 10:18 am)
I've never enjoyed the confines of a sleeping bag, and now looking forward to being able to spread out a little more with a nice warm quilt.  I think I've decided on the Enlightened Equipment RevX 20, with the 20 percent overstuff option.

This will also lighten my load by about a pound.  Opinions?  please share.

My budget is about $220

Have you compared this one with the Hammock Gear Burrow? I was just wondering because the Burrow is about the same price.
 Post Number: 4
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2013, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the RevX *30 with 1oz overstuff. Much more freedom of movement with a quilt compared to a bag. Especially if you like to draw one leg up or spread your legs apart while sleeping. One thing to warn you about though with EE -- the baffles are open to each other, purposely so that you can shift down around on the inside as you want it. But that also means the down can shift around on its own. Not a big issue of you sleep all night in one position, but if you toss and turn that motion can move the down from the center area to the sides during the night and leave the center area colder. In hindsight I wish I had gotten more overstuff to help hold the down in place.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 5
WickdWarmAndDry Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a RevX 10* and am very pleased. Not sure that I shouldn't have ordered a wide instead of a regular to better accommodate my small 4-legged camp buddy, though. I'll probably get a ProdigyX eventually also.

I thought I had read that they changed their baffles in the newer models because of the problems with shifting down. Maybe not?
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They did, they narrowed the gap between baffles (I think 8" to 6") but they still are open to each other to allow shift.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The design works, ... though I use the straps on my Enigma 20 to avoid inadvertent air specs when cold.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 8
okmtbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another satisfied Rev X quilt user here (20 deg Wide Long).
It's much more comfortable through a wider temp range than any sleeping bag I've used.
IMO, you can't beat it, bang-for-the-buck.
Plus, Tim can do any custom specs you want.
 Post Number: 9
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

so since I really want one of these, I have to ask,

I'm NOT a small guy, i'm 6' 215, very wide across the shoulders.

Would I be best off with a regular, wide reg, long or wide long?

Generally a back or side sleeper, and I dont toss/turn much.  I normally fit although tightly into a fairly generous cut bag (Kelty normal length light year 3d 25 is my normal 3 season and its a big green sausage with me in it)

my new (to me) winter bag is a REI kilo expedition -20 long that I fit just dandy in for comparison as well

How big are the revx users here and how do you feel about the sizing you chose?
 Post Number: 10
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am 5 ft 10, and I weigh 220-230 lbs., and I went with the regular for both my quilts from EE. I am a side sleeper and a back sleeper and a stomach sleeper, so yes, I toss and turn.  For me personaly, the regular is fine but I see some people like the wider version.  I was skeptical about my descision before purchasing also , but thus far I am satisfied.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 11
MississipVol Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, keep in mind that, within the next few days, he is updating the website and will be doing away with the RevX version of his top quilts. From what I understand he will have a new version (perhaps with a new name) that will use lighter and softer fabrics.
 Post Number: 12
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(booyah @ Jan. 02 2014, 11:55 am)
so since I really want one of these, I have to ask,

I'm NOT a small guy, i'm 6' 215, very wide across the shoulders.

Would I be best off with a regular, wide reg, long or wide long?

I am about your size Booyah, so I wrote Tim @ EE and asked him that question.  Long Wide was his answer, since at 6'1" I am right at the break point for regular.  For the small difference in charge, it would seem to be a no brainer, even if you also added 2 oz of overfill.  For $20 extra, you get a roomy, comfortable quilt with all the down goodness it can handle.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
11 replies since Dec. 20 2013, 10:18 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply enlightened equipment
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions