2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ruger 10/22 Breakdown Rifle< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 8:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have any experience using and opinions on the Ruger 10/22 Breakdown rifle?

I had read advertisements on it and it seemed appealing because the barrel can be disconnected from the body making it easy to carry in a backpack.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No idea about a  ruger 10/22 breakdown rife. I have a 10/22 but its not a breakdown. You should look into a Henry AR-7 survival rifle. It's very neat and packs down into the butstock.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Usually start with what a tool will be used for.

So?

Yes, on the packability front the AR-7 variants are superior to something that just splits in half....

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

That said for "survival" my choice would be to save a couple of pounds as well as some dollars and get a ResQlink PLB.

http://www.acrartex.com/product....inkplus
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't own a car so am looking to buy a small game hunting rifle that I can carry in my backpack to hunt and go to the shooting range with

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then yes the AR-7 compromises too much for compactness.

Never used that one but I've had other Ruger products over the years and they've proved to be quality products.
 Post Number: 6
Del Gue Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Jan. 09 2014, 7:05 pm)
I don't own a car so am looking to buy a small game hunting rifle that I can carry in my backpack to hunt and go to the shooting range in

I'd suggest that a rifle is not the best transport out there, try a bike instead. It can carry you and your rifle to the shooting range.

--------------
Del Gue
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought my son a Henry AR-7 when he went to college - it served him well when he took it backpacking, mostly for squirrel hunting and target practice.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I edited the post and changed 'in' to 'with' lol.

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Marlin Papoose. About 1.5# lighter and a bit less expensive.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10
Jambeaux Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 09 2014, 10:45 pm)
I have a Marlin Papoose. About 1.5# lighter and a bit less expensive.

The Marlin Papoose is also my choice

Al

--------------
laissez le bon temps rouler
 Post Number: 11
jeffDVM Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have one of these and like it.  A little heavy for backpacking, but nice it is a nice rifle for a weekend during squirrel season.  

One thing that really concerned me was the breakdown returning to zero, especially with any optic on it.  It does amazingly well in that regard.  The irons stay zeroed as you would expect since they are both on the barrel.

There are a ton of choices out there for small game rifles that can fit completely in a small bag.  The AR clones in 22 will also break down with the removal of two pins.  The Papoose, and the Henry are two great ones as well.  The single shot Handi rifle styles will as well.  

One thing to consider, 22 LR is a pain in the butt to find right now.  When you do find it, the prices are asininely high.  You can not be choosy with ammo for it right now.  Not having experience with the Papoose, I do not know how choosy it or other semiautos are.  I do know that the Ruger takes about everything I feed it.
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, this is a new twist for the gear forum.  So, now a gun is to be considered a component of backpacking gear?  Boy, BP magazine will be glad to hear that.  Just think, it opens up a whole new source of advertising revenue.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 10 2014, 11:53 am)
Wow, this is a new twist for the gear forum.  So, now a gun is to be considered a component of backpacking gear?  Boy, BP magazine will be glad to hear that.  Just think, it opens up a whole new source of advertising revenue.

How is a firearm any different from a gps, a stove, or a water filter with regard to backpacking?  The fact that some people might choose to backpack without such equipment doesn't exclude those items from the equipment list.

In fact, the earliest pioneers exploring our country with their equipment on their backs usually carried a firearm.
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jan. 10 2014, 9:12 am)

(hikerjer @ Jan. 10 2014, 11:53 am)

How is a firearm any different from a gps, a stove, or a water filter with regard to backpacking?  The fact that some people might choose to backpack without such equipment doesn't exclude those items from the equipment list.

In fact, the earliest pioneers exploring our country with their equipment on their backs usually carried a firearm.

Because it would be considered....relatively useless. It's like hiking with an axe.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 10 2014, 8:53 am)

No, as the OP clarified he just wants something he can easily and i expect unobtrusively carry on the way to a target range or hunting location via public transportation given the "no car" thing.

No more about backpacking than a heavy percentage of all the TR threads... spectator football is backpacking?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 10 2014, 12:34 pm)
No more about backpacking than a heavy percentage of all the TR threads... spectator football is backpacking?

Except that he posted it in the gear section rather than TH Register where most non-backpacking subjects are posted.  I have yet to see a football question posted in the gear section.  To post the question in the gear section would imply, to me at least, that he considers it a backpacking gear related question.  Guess it could be that I'm so out of touch that I don't realize that now a gun is considered backpacking equipment.  Thus my comment on advertising revenue.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or he considered it "gear".

shrug.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 10 2014, 1:13 pm)

shrug.

My point.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 10 2014, 10:16 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 10 2014, 1:13 pm)

shrug.

My point.

No, your point appears to be he possibly considered it "backpacking gear". (And in part that was my motivation to ask what he was intending to do with it and he responded just carry it on buses etc. to get to hunting places and target ranges i.e. NOT "backpacking").

While sometimes a gear is just a gear.

ETA: OTOH the OP appears to have guessed that some on the forum might have experience relevant to his query and from the responses he appears to have been correct....
 Post Number: 20
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My opinion is that the OP is free to ask about anything he/she considers gear.  Fire away (no pun intended).  However, there is probably a thousand other places on the internet better suited to answer the question.  I wouldn't ask about car tires in the "gear/components" section on my local cycling forum, even though I use my car to take my bike places.  I'd probably seek some reviews on tires using google, or maybe an automotive forum.

Hence my idea that there's probably just a little tiny bit of pot stirring going on here.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 10 2014, 1:09 pm)
 Guess it could be that I'm so out of touch that I don't realize that now a gun is considered backpacking equipment.  

when did firearms ever stop being considered backpacking equipment?
 Post Number: 22
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jan. 10 2014, 2:03 pm)

would you consider an ipod backpacking equipment?

Some would & some wouldn't.  Some actually scoff at the notion of taking such a thing into the woods.  Some scoff at the notion of taking a gun on a backpacking trip.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Jan. 10 2014, 11:09 am)

Some would & some wouldn't.  Some actually scoff at the notion of taking such a thing into the woods.  Some scoff at the notion of taking a gun on a backpacking trip.

Still gear and they have been discussed in Gear along with alternative power sources for same.

But in any case from early on the OP made it clear he wasn't intending to take it backpacking but rather hunting and target shooting: for which, as he's "car free", he uses public transportation at which point an unobtrusive compact has logic, IMHO.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Jan. 10 2014, 2:09 pm)

How many of those same scoffers would scoff at taking a fishing pole on a backpacking trip?  

I've seen lots of fishing equipment discussions in the gear section and no one seems compelled to ask "when did fishing equipment become backpacking gear?"

Hell, even Henry David Thoreau carried a gun while backpacking:

Early the next morning we had mounted our packs, and prepared for a tramp up the West Branch, my companion having turned his horse out to pasture for a week or ten days, thinking that a bite of fresh grass and a taste of running water would do him as much good as backwoods fare and new country influences his master.

Leaping over a fence, we began to follow an obscure trail up the northern bank of the Penobscot. There was now no road further, the river being the only highway, and but half a dozen log huts, confined to its banks, to be met with for thirty miles. On either hand, and beyond, was a wholly uninhabited wilderness, stretching to Canada.

This was what you might call a bran-new country; the only roads were of Nature's making, and the few houses were camps.

Eighteen miles from the Point brought us in sight of McCauslin's, or "Uncle George's," as he was familiarly called by my companions, to whom he was well known, where we intended to break our long fast.

So we collected on a point of the shore, that we might be seen, and fired our gun as a signal, which brought out his dogs forthwith, and thereafter their master, who in due time took us across in his batteau.

The Maine Woods (p. 17 to 23)
 Post Number: 25
Jambeaux Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been backpacking all my life and I am nearly 67 years old. I have seen thousands of backpackers on and off trails in every part of the US and a few foreign countries. I can empirically conclude that there is no single way to do it. The plain fact is some backpackers combine other activities with their back packing. Fishing, hunting, photography, writing, bush craft, plant/animal identification etc. So why then, as soon as some mentions the fact that they bring a gun along on a trek does someone rise up and question them doing so? Especially when they question them on the flimsiest grounds imaginable such as questioning whether a gun is really "backpacking gear". The answer is easy, they are anti gun and will never miss a chance to preach their religion on this subject. I don't see any gun carriers doing anything at all to brow beat them into carrying a gun into the forest. The gun carriers don't give a damn whether anyone carries a gun or not they just want the anti gun people to get out of their face!

--------------
laissez le bon temps rouler
 Post Number: 26
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That IS a pretty cool rifle
Reasonably priced too

I don't need one for backpacking, but I might need one anyway

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 27
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HSF & nogods, I think you might have ducked under my point, cause I saw it sail completely over your head.

While one person may consider a gun, or a fishing rod, or an iPod a piece of gear, another person may not.  Yes, we're all free to post inquiries here about what we consider gear, but when there are is a plethora of other places on the internet that are better suited to answer your question, why post it here?  It just leads me to believe that pot stirring is a slight motivator, being the contentious issue it is.  

If someone came here asking about which snare trap to carry for wild game, I would probably refer them to a trapping forum.

For the record, I've carried a gun, and a fishing rod, and an iPod.  (although not at the same time...I don't think).  So I have nothing against carrying any of them, I just don't see any need for the endless bickering.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That he received useful answers belies your premise this forum was somehow "less" appropriate in his "daring" to ask about a compact here. The OP probably went down the logic train that he was thinking of a compact rifle and backpackers might have some familiarity with that sort of thing. And it turns out he was right.

He got answers: proof of the pudding.
 Post Number: 29
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fair enough.  i'm letting loose of the bait.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me too.  Always interesting.  I have yet to be convinced that a gun is a standard piece of backpacking equipment.  And I don't think I've ever seen a gun advertisement in Backpacker Magazine which is telling since equipment advertising is one of their main source of income.  But each to his own as long as his equipment does not infringe on my space while I'm in the backcountry.

--------------
66 replies since Jan. 09 2014, 8:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ruger 10/22 Breakdown Rifle
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions