2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pack rifle, Less than 1 lb!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
fx6771 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 2:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After seeing the discussion on the 10/22 takedown, I thought I show you guys this rifle.  

http://www.packrifle.com/

its a single shot .22 that breaks in half.  It weighs less than 1 pound, because a lot of it is carbon fiber.  They also sell an accessory fishing rod, and telescoping reel to attach to it.

I don't know or work for these guys, I just thinks its cool, and something I'd like to get someday.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As long as appropriate hunting and/or gunnery regulations are followed I don't see the harm.  Not sure what a single shot 22 could do except squirrel (quail and other fowl require shotguns, iirc) and one plink.  

Unfortunately in my travels, I've seen wild-eyed shooters confronted by mountain bikers for shooting into an established trail, or send other duck hunters scrambling for cover while reenacting WWII German ack-ack during the Bombing of Dresden on the last day of the season, … different instances and different calibres.  Haven't seen much responsible rifle usage in the civilian world (retired military and, as a teen, shot a mini-14 … but always knowing what was downrange).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about the (presumably) satisfied users posing with the dead mountain lion? I mean that thing is no Thompson/Center single shot...

#HelluvaShot
 Post Number: 4
fx6771 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree, there are too many irresponsible shooters in the civilian world, and they give a bad name to the shooters that are responsible.  I wouldn't dream of doing what I've seen other shooters do.  I would hope that the visitors to this forum would be more responsible.  

Back to the pack rifle.....

A .22 is not enough gun for a cougar.  I'm hoping that that picture was a cougar taken by a different rifle on the same hunt, and the kid just posed with it.  I think the idea is you use the pack rifle to live off the land, on small game, such a squirrels and bunnies.  Thats why I like the idea of the fishing accessories too. This looks like a great survival type gun to me.
 Post Number: 5
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fx6771 @ Jan. 15 2014, 3:00 pm)
Back to the pack rifle.....

A .22 is not enough gun for a cougar.  I'm hoping that that picture was a cougar taken by a different rifle on the same hunt, and the kid just posed with it.  I think the idea is you use the pack rifle to live off the land, on small game, such a squirrels and bunnies.  Thats why I like the idea of the fishing accessories too. This looks like a great survival type gun to me.

With one round, I'd think a miss would spook a squirrel but not sure about their behavior.   Would a one round capacity be useful in a survival situation?   Not that I have anything against squirrel season or other rats with a good PR department - too many human-habituated rodentia anyways…  - but the one shot capability would suggest more a sporting arm.

For survival protein needs, I'd probably want snares and nets for small game (i.e. assorted rodents) and fish ...plus a good explanation to the appropriate state fish and game warden.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
Jambeaux Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fx6771 @ Jan. 15 2014, 2:53 pm)
After seeing the discussion on the 10/22 takedown, I thought I show you guys this rifle.  

http://www.packrifle.com/

its a single shot .22 that breaks in half.  It weighs less than 1 pound, because a lot of it is carbon fiber.  They also sell an accessory fishing rod, and telescoping reel to attach to it.

I don't know or work for these guys, I just thinks its cool, and something I'd like to get someday.

The Pak rifle in use by Ryan Jordan

Pak Rifle review video

--------------
laissez le bon temps rouler
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2014, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll still take my Papoose with scope and extended 25rd mag (because having an extended mag keeps the ammo "organized" and more readily to hand) plus having multiple shots if needed or wanted.

As for the lion, it's inexcusable that someone (alleged) shot one with a .22 because it's really not enough gun. However, there's at least one documented case of a grizzly killed (67-year-old Mrs. Bella Twin, 1953) with a .22LR but it took 7 rounds in the brain at point blank range.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2014, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When squirrel hunting its rare that I shoot more than one shot at a squirrel.

Usually because it only takes one round to drill it, and on the rare occasions that I miss, you'd have to be FAST to get a second shot.

Also from what I've seen, 22 mag is a common choice for a treed lion (no personal experience, I'd opt for a bolt 243, lever action 44 mag carbine, or semi auto 7.62x39 personally), I don't see 22LR as being a good choice, especially not in a single shot, but I also wouldn't say its inexcusable.  A  bad choice with the other options available definitely.
 Post Number: 9
Gifford Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any time you carry a rifle or any other long gun your weight is going up significantly in terms of the firearm itself, as well as the ammo.

When I hear of a rifle that can also be a fishing pole, I thing of the Popeel Pocket fisherman!

I still recommend a 1911 possibly with a .22 converter kit. It is enough of a firearm that the flash-bang will scare off a bear or other critter, but if used in the .45 caliber it has plenty of stopping power for a mountain lion.

It does not take up as much room in a pack as a long gun, the weight of a 1911 is probably not much different than most small caliber rifles, although certainly more than 1lb. The ammo is not overly heavy, and more than a century of use in every environment on earth bears testimony (pun intended) to its durability.

The only thing you are really giving up is the range. The importance of that will depend on each individual and their needs.

Giff
 Post Number: 10
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gifford @ Jan. 18 2014, 2:59 pm)
I still recommend a 1911 possibly with a .22 converter kit. It is enough of a firearm that the flash-bang will scare off a bear or other critter, but if used in the .45 caliber it has plenty of stopping power for a mountain lion.

You honestly think that the "flash bang" from a .22 is going to scare a bear??

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So get a Taurus Judge instead and use these along with .45 ammo.

--------------

Post Number: 12
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jan. 18 2014, 5:39 pm)

(Gifford @ Jan. 18 2014, 2:59 pm)

You honestly think that the "flash bang" from a .22 is going to scare a bear??

First, I honestly think that 1. Your understanding of punctuation and grammar is so poor you don't understand the meaning of the word "possibly" or the significance of the period after the word "kit"; 2. I think you are deliberately trolling; 3. Depending upon the circumstances, I think there may be a good likelihood that the sound of a .22 going off will scare a bear.

Secondly, if you can show me documentation proving that a bear charged someone after they fired a warning shot from a .22 please do so.  Likewise if you have some documentation where a bear ignored a warning shot from a .22 that would be good.

Then, please go see your high school English comp teacher as to the meaning associated with my sentences.

Finally, please troll elsewhere.

Giff
 Post Number: 14
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gifford @ Jan. 18 2014, 7:55 pm)
Secondly, if you can show me documentation proving that a bear charged someone after they fired a warning shot from a .22 please do so.  Likewise if you have some documentation where a bear ignored a warning shot from a .22 that would be good.

I did not document it and it wasn't a .22, but I did blare a large size air horn at a troublesome cinnamon bear and it ran toward me like I'd rung a dinner bell.
It got close enough that I doubt that it was a false charge.  I was able to duck inside and he ambled off, unperturbed.  

I have seen a human youngster with its stupid mother shoot at a black bear with a .22 from the road beside their car.  It turned around and charged them.  They were able to get back into their car but I stopped them and read them the riot act because if they had wounded it, I'd have had a wounded, angry bear a couple hundred feet from where my children were playing.
Oh, and it was directly in front of a no hunting sign.

My experiences might be different from yours, but we have approximately 10 different bears around each year and we've rarely seen one that was scared off (at least very far) by gun shots.  We're not shooting at them but I doubt they know that.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It hardly gets more "authoritative" than Herrero:

Human Dimensions
Efficacy of firearms for bear deterrence in Alaska†

Tom S. Smith1,*, Stephen Herrero2, Cali Strong Layton3, Randy T. Larsen4, Kathryn R. Johnson5,‡
Article first published online: 6 FEB 2012

DOI: 10.1002/jwmg.342

Copyright © The Wildlife Society, 2012
Issue
The Journal of Wildlife Management
Volume 76, Issue 5, pages 1021–1027, July 2012

Alongside:

Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska

TOM S. SMITH1,*, STEPHEN HERRERO2, TERRY D. DEBRUYN3, JAMES M. WILDER4
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2010

DOI: 10.2193/2006-452

2008 The Wildlife Society
Issue
The Journal of Wildlife Management
Volume 72, Issue 3, pages 640–645, April 2008

His book is far more detailed, of course. But that reference has already been provided.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In a previous post I did, in fact, except Alaskan bears. But since that is not convenient to your argument here, it hasn't been addressed.

You have referenced a book, so where in the book does it document a bear (NOT in Alaska) charging someone after they have fired a warning shot at the bear?  

For that matter, where in the book does it document any bear charging someone after they fired a .22 warning shot?

Like my reply to tomas, check out the meaning of which caliber would be the primary to use by checking with your high school English comp teacher. Then have her explain to you what the terms "Depending upon the circumstances. . . " and ". . . may scare off a bear." mean. 

You may also consider what it means to just cherry pick parts of someone's post in order to construct a post that is essentially a troll.

Giff
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gifford @ Jan. 18 2014, 9:05 pm)
In a previous post I did, in fact, except Alaskan bears. But since that is not convenient to your argument here, it hasn't been addressed.

You have referenced a book, so where in the book does it document a bear (NOT in Alaska) charging someone after they have fired a warning shot at the bear?  

For that matter, where in the book does it document any bear charging someone after they fired a .22 warning shot?

Like my reply to tomas, check out the meaning of which caliber would be the primary to use by checking with your high school English comp teacher.

Giff

I may not have documentation, but what am I?  Chopped liver?  I am around bears all the freaking time, even a grizzly on three occasions.

If you don't want to listen to anything with which you disagree, I give up.

I will continue to champion bear spray because I think it keeps bears and humans safer.

YMMV

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My "high school English teacher"?

Okay, do we have a new, most moronic pseudo intellectual retort for 2014 contender or do we not?

Granted, early days.....

Oh and once I've led a "horse" to water, i leave the drinking up to it. (Or for some portion of that horse's anatomy...).  That way there's no risk of misrepresenting the original, "authoritative" sources. Sources that were requested, ne, demanded btw.

Otoh, Why would Alaska be any different? The only bears which pose a significant risk to humans are the Brown Bears, Grizzly and their like. So whether those bears are in Alaska or the lower 48 the relevant aspects would be similar.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Jan. 18 2014, 9:13 pm)

(Gifford @ Jan. 18 2014, 9:05 pm)

Like my reply to tomas, check out the meaning of which caliber would be the primary to use by checking with your high school English comp teacher.

Giff

I may not have documentation, but what am I?  Chopped liver?  I am around bears all the freaking time, even a grizzly on three occasions.

If you don't want to listen to anything with which you disagree, I give up.

I will continue to champion bear spray because I think it keeps bears and humans safer.

YMMV

If you want to start a thread about how useful bear spray is by all means do so.

Starting such a threat would far more  courteous than trying to hijack this one, which is about light weight firearms.

Giff
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 18 2014, 9:22 pm)
My "high school English teacher"?

Okay, do we have a new, most moronic pseudo intellectual retort for 2014 contender or do we not?

And once again you are into personal attacks. I think my high school reference was right on!

Giff
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right. Ignore the 2 foremost bear researchers on the planet because they don't recommend guns for deterring bears.

--------------

Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gifford @ Jan. 18 2014, 9:23 pm)
If you want to start a thread about how useful bear spray is by all means do so.

Starting such a threat would far more  courteous than trying to hijack this one, which is about light weight firearms.

Giff

I was indeed addressing you, rather than the OP and the thread but when you state things that are contrary to my experience, I feel compelled to respond.  Somewhat due to just being ornery, but also because I think knowledge is a valuable thing.

To the OP, I think it is an interesting weapon, though I haven't seen it or tried it.  I have a little Henry .22 that stores in the stock and weighs less than 3 lbs loaded.  Pretty sweet, too.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 18 2014, 6:34 pm)
Right. Ignore the 2 foremost bear researchers on the planet because they don't recommend guns for deterring bears.

Have to say I'm really disappointed my high school English teacher hid from me that "authoritative documentation" meant "Only things that warmly pat my tender bottom in sweet agreement".
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gifford's idea of bear danger...

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------

Post Number: 25
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah guys.  Bears in Alaska aren't real bears.  They don't count.

Duh.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 26
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My grade school art teacher taught me that.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jan. 18 2014, 7:39 pm)
Yeah guys.  Bears in Alaska aren't real bears.  They don't count.

Duh.

It's the plaid shirts. Hairy and plaid just lessens the realness.

I'm certain that's the source of snowboarder's attitude. Those plaid parkas? If only they chose soothing pastel solids there'd be far less chippiness.
 Post Number: 28
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 3:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, god, how many more of these bear-fearing paranoid threads do we have to endure?

The three main killers of humans in the back-country are lightning, hypothermia and falls. Bears are so far down the list, THAT THEY AREN'T EVEN ON THE LIST!

To all you paranoid, survivalist idiots, just keep on carrying all that useless firepower. Statistically, you pose far more of a danger in the backcountry than bears, and I just hope that you shoot each other, instead of innocent hikers or their children...
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 6:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mark of the Grizzly
Gunshots often act as a "dinner bell" to grizzlies, particularly in the fall hunting season, because they've learned it means easy food.
(This has been reported several times over the past few years within 20 miles of where I live.)

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting
Gunshots sound like a dinner bell.

Confessions of an Eco-redneck
Wyoming F&G have confirmed 7 reports of grizzlies separating hunters from their game animal after coming in to the sound of gunshots.

Fur, Fish and Game.
During a hunt, a grizzly charged in several minutes after they shot an elk, presumably drawn by the sound of the gunshot.

--------------

Post Number: 30
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 8:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 18 2014, 9:34 pm)

Some people are willing to do whatever it takes.
152 replies since Jan. 15 2014, 2:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pack rifle, Less than 1 lb!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions