2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: tent suggestions, under $300< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jeffDVM Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 5:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Using a half dome now.

I would like similar size with a significant weight savings.

Bug net and floor a must.  Set up with trekking poles a plus.

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look at Henry Shire's Tarptents or Six Moon designs Lunar Duo.  You don't say if you want it free standing or not.  Both of these tents will cut the weight in half, but the SMD is $10 over your $300   budget.  (Double Rainbow is $289)  Both tents weigh about 41 ounces.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went from a Half Dome to a Tarptent Double Rainbow ($289 with net and bathtub floor).  Tarptent has several that will satisfy your criteria, depending on the size and layout you're looking for.  Some can be set up with or without trekking poles.

Good luck.

ETA:  great minds think alike.   :D
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. That is one company I was looking at.  The dang computer is timing me out mid post or I would have more info in the initial post.

It does not have to be free standing.

It is usually just me, but the dog goes most trips.  If my wife goes, the dog sleeps in the vestibule.  If my step daughter and wife go, I hit the hammock and the dog sleeps in with them as the stepdaughter is more comfortable with him close.

I looked at the shagrila, but at over 4 lbs, I am not saving much weight.   I can stretch on the price some, but a $600 cuben fiber is not acceptable.  desirable, yes.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jan. 19 2014, 6:17 pm)
I went from a Half Dome to a Tarptent Double Rainbow ($289 with net and bathtub floor).  Tarptent has several that will satisfy your criteria, depending on the size and layout you're looking for.  Some can be set up with or without trekking poles.

Good luck.

ETA:  great minds think alike.   :D

When you switched, did you find any problems or issues?   Thanks
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't used anything but a Tarptent since mid-2004 (My first was a Cloudburst, then I went to a Contrail for solo and a Double Rainbow for two).  I like some of the SMD tents, too.
 Post Number: 7
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 19 2014, 7:37 pm)
The dang computer is timing me out mid post or I would have more info in the initial post.Thanks

I think it's the forum - I'm having the same issue.

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 19 2014, 7:37 pm)
When you switched, did you find any problems or issues?

Nope.  I love it.  Other than saving a couple of pounds, that is.

I will say, however, that you should replace the hollow aluminum stakes that come with it (Easton, I think).  Like several others here, I use MSR Groundhogs.

Here's another option.  TigerFan has a Lightheart Solo, which is similar to the Tarptents, and also looks great.  The fly is removable, unlike the Tarptents.  She says it's great for stargazing, especially when bugs are a problem.
 Post Number: 8
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A tent that uses trekking poles will save you a lot of weight but, while the floor space will be the same, you won't get the same kind of volume (headroom) that you have with the Half Dome.

In addition to the Tarptents, I'd also consider Six Moon's Lunar Duo and the Lightheart Duo.

For tents, I have a Tarptent Contrail and a Squall, and a Lightheart Solo.  These fit solo+dog, two people and solo, respectively.  I think you'd want something a little bigger.  FWIW, I bought all three tents used for about $100 each.

(Btw, the Lightheart Solo's fly isn't removable but it can be rolled up out of the way almost completely.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 9
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Tarptent Notch is designed to use trekking poles and is a 2 wall tent, about 26oz.
You can set the two up together or either by themselves.
For views and or ventilation you can have the four door panels fully open or just one or two or three at a time.
The floor is inside the drip line , that helps in getting in and out when it rains.
Lots of photos,technical drawings and set up video in the product page.
As a bonus you can choose between a mesh and a partial fabric inner (or get both...).
I used the mesh on snow and windy conditions but some prefer to have a bit more wind or sand protection using the fabric one.

franco@tarptent
 Post Number: 10
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Jan. 20 2014, 12:27 am)
The Tarptent Notch is designed to use trekking poles and is a 2 wall tent, about 26oz.
[...]

franco@tarptent

I've only seen a Notch briefly.  Haven't slept in one.  But I very much doubt two people plus a dog in the vestibule would fit.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 11
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 5:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I very much doubt two people plus a dog in the vestibule would fit"
Me too...

Sorry, reading the other suggestions about solo shelters I missed the bit about having the wife and a dog along.
In this case the SS2 could do, all of my above comments still apply except that I have not used the SS2 when snowing  (but it can handle some) and the weight is around 43oz.
 Post Number: 12
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Considering the space and the dog, check this out.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/superscoutul2

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, that is a lot for under 3 lbs.   I am impressed.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jan. 20 2014, 12:11 am)
A tent that uses trekking poles will save you a lot of weight but, while the floor space will be the same, you won't get the same kind of volume (headroom) that you have with the Half Dome.

In addition to the Tarptents, I'd also consider Six Moon's Lunar Duo and the Lightheart Duo.

For tents, I have a Tarptent Contrail and a Squall, and a Lightheart Solo.  These fit solo+dog, two people and solo, respectively.  I think you'd want something a little bigger.  FWIW, I bought all three tents used for about $100 each.

(Btw, the Lightheart Solo's fly isn't removable but it can be rolled up out of the way almost completely.)

Thanks, this helps a lot.  I assume the dog in the picture is the one you hike with?  I have a Lab, so yours would be a very comparable sized dog.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 8:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Jan. 20 2014, 5:26 am)
"I very much doubt two people plus a dog in the vestibule would fit"
Me too...

Sorry, reading the other suggestions about solo shelters I missed the bit about having the wife and a dog along.
In this case the SS2 could do, all of my above comments still apply except that I have not used the SS2 when snowing  (but it can handle some) and the weight is around 43oz.

The vast majority of the time I am out, snow is not an issue.  Wind certainly can be.
 Post Number: 16
WickdWarmAndDry Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe this will help ...

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Tent-Reviews

The Tarptent Stratospire 2 that Franco mentioned is not included in this review, but it is essentially a double wall "bipolar pyramid" design with very large vestibules. I know the prices just went up, but they are just over $300.
 Post Number: 17
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Jan. 20 2014, 8:10 am)

That's a helluva lot of coverage!  I need to see if I can find any reviews of that puppy.  That would be a great shelter to ride out a storm if it's storm-worthy.

I'm counting at least 15 stakes to guy out the whole thing in high winds.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 18
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its brand new for 2014
 Post Number: 19
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not seeing any roof ventilation, at least in any of the manuf.-provided pics, on that BA SuperScout. Condensation will likely be pretty healthy.
 Post Number: 20
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 21 2014, 10:40 am)

(treelinebackpacker @ Jan. 20 2014, 8:10 am)

That's a helluva lot of coverage!  I need to see if I can find any reviews of that puppy.  That would be a great shelter to ride out a storm if it's storm-worthy.

I'm counting at least 15 stakes to guy out the whole thing in high winds.

Simple "A" line tents like that get their backs broken by a snow load, and that's a pretty flat looking back.

Of similar design philosophy, but with a more robust hoop structure  is the BA Slater line.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/slaterul3%2B

Not a trekking pole tent so not for the OP, but anyway...

For a trekking pole lightweight (20 oz. plus 13.5 for the inner net) tent somewhat larger in floor area (43.75 vs. 31 sq ft) than a Half Dome there's the Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid: robust wind/snow tent as well.
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop...._id=105

I've used their Solomid for two seasons now and like it.
 Post Number: 21
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jan. 20 2014, 12:11 am)

Yes, the fly is sewn on so not detachable but only along the ridgeline so when you roll it back you can get nearly 100% bug-net mode. You can roll up half at a time or the whole thing.

The Solo is big, plenty of room for one plus a dog, but two people would be tight mainly because of the diamond shape. The Duo would be plenty of room for all.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 22
Kia Kaha Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 19 2014, 6:31 pm)
Thanks. That is one company I was looking at.  The dang computer is timing me out mid post or I would have more info in the initial post.

It is usually just me, but the dog goes most trips.  If my wife goes, the dog sleeps in the vestibule.  If my step daughter and wife go, I hit the hammock and the dog sleeps in with them as the stepdaughter is more comfortable with him close.

I looked at the shagrila, but at over 4 lbs, I am not saving much weight.   I can stretch on the price some, but a $600 cuben fiber is not acceptable.  desirable, yes.

You are looking at the total weight of the Shangri-La.  You can go without the nest and use a modded  trekking pole with connector or 2 poles with connecter mod, and be in the 1.8# range.  Golite has some good and reasonable gear.  The Shangri-La performs well in wind and snow as well.

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The OP has the bug net and floor as a "must "...
 Post Number: 24
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lightheart Solo has room for me, all my gear, a full length pad, and the dog. :)

It's a nice tent, and Judy answers her emails.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 6:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 21 2014, 9:29 pm)

In the south east, you get drained in a hurry without a net.   And chiggers.  Holy cow.   Never again!  

I use a tarp in the winter when the biting, stinging evil creatures are gone, but insect season is a good 9 months here.  

The nest adds a lot of weight to the Shangri LA.  If I could find one like it that has a perimeter bug net so you could open the fly door and raise the edges of the tent for ventilation without a full inner net, I would sure be interested.  

Right now, one of the tarptent brand tents is looking really good as is the duo.
 Post Number: 26
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was just at backpackinglight. com apperently there are companys that will mod or sell mods for the shangri la
 Post Number: 27
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 22 2014, 3:47 am)

In the south east, you get drained in a hurry without a net.   And chiggers.  Holy cow.   Never again!  

I use a tarp in the winter when the biting, stinging evil creatures are gone, but insect season is a good 9 months here.  

The nest adds a lot of weight to the Shangri LA.  If I could find one like it that has a perimeter bug net so you could open the fly door and raise the edges of the tent for ventilation without a full inner net, I would sure be interested.  

Right now, one of the tarptent brand tents is looking really good as is the duo.

Here's some modifications I made to mine to shave weight. I used velcro so that I could change it out for a snow skirt in winter. I used wedding tulle to shave weight instead of bug netting and silnylon for the gear loft and winter snow skirt.

Snow skirt option to keep snow from blowing inside

Keeps the pole from sinking in the snow and useful for rough ground (three aluminum screws to bite on surfaces).

Gear loft

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 22 2014, 3:47 am)

MLD has an optional bug net edging they'll add to their mids.

That and their poly sheeting (2 oz. for solo) might be an option

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop...._id=105
"Perimeter Bug Netting:"
 Post Number: 29
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kia Kaha @ Jan. 21 2014, 3:56 pm)

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 19 2014, 6:31 pm)

You are looking at the total weight of the Shangri-La.  You can go without the nest and use a modded  trekking pole with connector or 2 poles with connecter mod, and be in the 1.8# range.  Golite has some good and reasonable gear.  The Shangri-La performs well in wind and snow as well.

They show the weight break down as

2 lbs 1oz for the net

1 lbs 7 oz for the fly

11 oz for the pole.

plus stake wt.

So you could save almost 11 oz by combining trekking poles (assuming you hike with them anyway).

====

You can find folks who will sew on netting for a fee.  I almost had this done on my BetaLight (Black Diamond) with a screen door with zipper, and stakeout points.  But we had too much back and forth on specs for it, and the tarptent I got works very well.  I would not want a tent for summer that I could not leave the door open on, at least in most places.

I really like my Double Rainbow, not sure how it compares with his newer models.  Also the six moons is wider, but perhaps not a wind worthy.  The DR is wide enough for solo use so I haven't switched.  

I still use the BetaLite for spring skiing, and sometimes with its net, if I expect allot of damp weather, sometimes without a ground cloth to save weight.  In fall I take a light wt. bug tent, if I think bug season is past, if I am wrong.  But the DR and others are really nice.  Sil-nylon isn't legal every where though, not as fire resistant?

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
28 replies since Jan. 19 2014, 5:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply tent suggestions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions