2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Terraplane is back, .. from Mystery Ranch< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 5:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dana Gleason reintroduces the Terraplane.

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great.  A 7 lb load monster.  Welcome to 1985.

Now if they bring back the Bomb Pack let me know.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was a great pack in its day.  The old ones still bring good money on ebay & gear trader.  Curious to see what changes have been made.
 Post Number: 4
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Click on the mistery ranch logo it will take you to facebook and a video
 Post Number: 5
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes a 7 or 8 lb pack is the only thing that will work when humping loads heavy enough to stay out for 3 weeks.  

I just got back from 24 day January trip and bless old Mystery Ranch but used their G6000 pack to haul almost a 100 lbs at the start of the trip.  I definitely needed all my winter gear as the Polar Rectum or Vortex or whatever grabbed holt of me and wouldn't let go.  

So yes, praise stout packs like the Terraplane and the G series.  

For an abbreviated trip report, check out---

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum....-Vortex

I used to use a Terraplane back in the day and my only complaint was that it would sag under loads exceeding 75 lbs.  They upgraded their harness and hipbelt system on the G packs and are much beefier allowing 75 or 80 lbs to be hauled without sagging, the bane of most packs with weight.  I don't know if the new Terraplane will also have this sagging problem.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 6
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jan. 23 2014, 9:05 am)

You shaved yer beard!  Must feel naked after so long.
Good to hear from you.  Excellent trip report as usual.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Jan. 23 2014, 9:27 am)

(Tipi Walter @ Jan. 23 2014, 9:05 am)

You shaved yer beard!  Must feel naked after so long.
Good to hear from you.  Excellent trip report as usual.

I had to go out to the garage and use old Shunka dog's electric hair clippers to take off most of the beard and then used a razor, etc.  

Now at least I don't get food and soup in my goatee and don't get those strange "flea bites" on my chin---weird itchings.

--------------

Post Number: 8
jeffDVM Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a little ignorant about this, but is this the old Dana Design?  They used to make great stuff, but then they just seemed to disappear.  

I was away from backpacking for a while, but when I came back, they were gone and people looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about Dana Design.
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

28 days in the winter.  Impressive.  Thanks for the great report.  But I do have trouble with the shaving of the beard.  Seems a bit barbaric, esp in the winter. :D

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FamilyGuy @ Jan. 22 2014, 6:01 pm)

I love my old Terraplane and would never part with it.  However, I would have hoped that the reintroduction of such a classic would have taken advantage of new technology and produced a lighter one.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 23 2014, 11:11 am)

I love my old Terraplane and would never part with it.  However, I would have hoped that the reintroduction of such a classic would have taken advantage of new technology and produced a lighter one.

Jer, where did you find specs on the new one?
I haven't been able to find any information on it, besides that short video clip.
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Jan. 23 2014, 8:20 am)

(hikerjer @ Jan. 23 2014, 11:11 am)

I haven't been able to find any information on it, besides that short video clip.

They list a mil version here:
http://www.mysteryranch.com/militar....ne-pack
 Post Number: 13
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 23 2014, 10:32 am)
I am a little ignorant about this, but is this the old Dana Design?  They used to make great stuff, but then they just seemed to disappear.  

I was away from backpacking for a while, but when I came back, they were gone and people looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about Dana Design.

Dana Design sold out to Marmot/K2 a long time ago, in the mid-1990s i think.  I don't know for sure but assume there was some kind of non-compete that prevented Dana Gleason from running out to start his own competing company.  Eventually, though, I assume the noncompete expired, and Gleason started Mystery Ranch.  those backpacks bear a strong resemblance to the dana design backpacks.  

Not long after the merger, Marmot sold backpacks that still clearly showed the Dana Design DNA - the two long back pockets, similar suspension, etc.  eventually, that ceased.  Marmot's largest backpack today is roughly 45 liters, and they look nothing like the Dana Design packs.  

interestingly, the G6000 backpack I use doesn't seem to be on the Mystery Ranch website.   the G6000 is a great backpack for carrying a lot of weight comfortably.  they are quite heavy.
 Post Number: 14
jeffDVM Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leadbelly2550 @ Jan. 23 2014, 1:58 pm)

(jeffDVM @ Jan. 23 2014, 10:32 am)

Dana Design sold out to Marmot/K2 a long time ago, in the mid-1990s i think.  I don't know for sure but assume there was some kind of non-compete that prevented Dana Gleason from running out to start his own competing company.  Eventually, though, I assume the noncompete expired, and Gleason started Mystery Ranch.  those backpacks bear a strong resemblance to the dana design backpacks.  

Not long after the merger, Marmot sold backpacks that still clearly showed the Dana Design DNA - the two long back pockets, similar suspension, etc.  eventually, that ceased.  Marmot's largest backpack today is roughly 45 liters, and they look nothing like the Dana Design packs.  

interestingly, the G6000 backpack I use doesn't seem to be on the Mystery Ranch website.   the G6000 is a great backpack for carrying a lot of weight comfortably.  they are quite heavy.

Thanks.  
I had borrowed a Dana a long time ago.  When I got back into backpacking and wanted to change out my external, I was looking for them, but the kids at the stores looked at me like I was nuts.  They had never heard of them.  I never dug deeply, I just assumed they were gone when I could not find any for sale.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The G6000 is missing from their lineup currently but who knows why?  And in my opinion I think the G5000 comes closest to the old Terraplane as it has the back daisy chain, a fave of the Terra.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/mountai....00-pack

--------------

Post Number: 16
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suspect they're replacing the G6000 with the Terraplane; just a guess. Or they could just be out of stock, and take it off the site.

Family Guy - I'm with ya on the Bomb Pack. And the Alpine, as well.

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 17
Kia Kaha Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great report Tipi.  I have the G5000, used to have the terraplane.  I really do not use it anymore, unless I am carrying for my kids (most are old enough to haul themselves now).  I use the Gossamer gear packs now, but the MY G5000 has its place, great load haulers those packs.

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Jan. 23 2014, 11:20 am)

Actually, I was just assuming they were the same weight as the original models as well as going off FamilyGuy's post.  Guess I should have said, "I hope they make them lighter" this time around.  Sorry for the confusion.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got off the phone with Mystery Ranch and they are discontinuing the G model packs and replacing them by March with the Terraplane models.  Same general config and using the same harness system with the Guide "frame", etc.

--------------

Post Number: 20
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2014, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread makes me so glad I'll never have to carry a pack like that again.
 Post Number: 21
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jan. 24 2014, 10:14 am)
Just got off the phone with Mystery Ranch and they are discontinuing the G model packs and replacing them by March with the Terraplane models.  Same general config and using the same harness system with the Guide "frame", etc.

Then it's not a Terraplane... the old Dana suspension is far superior to the new "improved" suspension.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Far superior?  It's subjective, totally, but I don't see it.  

I spent years with both the Dana Terraplane and the MR G6000 and noticed a big difference between the harness and suspension systems.  I routinely carried the Terraplane on trips with over 75 lbs and it would sag under such weights.  What is sagging?  It's when the pack can't handle the load and wants to slide off your back and down your butt, putting strain on your shoulders and more pain in the hips.

Now throw this same weight or more into a G series pack and there is not nearly as much sagging as the hipbelt system is better designed to fight big-load gravity.  There's really no comparision, but then how many people have worn a G6000 or G7000 pack with 80+ lbs day in and day out for weeks at a time to even notice the difference?

Here's the Terraplane with a 75 lb load in the mountains of TN.

Here's an 80 lb load with the Mystery Ranch G6000.  I still have the old red Dana and if it was better and more comfy I sure would be using it.  But hey, maybe I'll dust off the Dana and give it another big load workout---the old timers BTW really swear on the Astralplane, equiv to the G7000.

--------------

Post Number: 23
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, those packs look big on you!
I had the Astralplane Overkill, but sold it 4 years ago after not using it for 4-5 years, which is the only time I got digital pics of it.
Since I've never done long trips, it was way too big after I got some modern gear instead of using military surplus stuff. Actually wanted the Terraplane Overkill back then, but couldn't find one.
Don't know about the suspensions, but I love the Futura harness on MR's packs(though the only one I own with it is a Dragonslayer). Much easier to get a custom fit than with the old ArcFlex packs.

That sucker could haul some weight, though. I was still in young paratrooper mode when I got it, and would carry everything that would fit in it-grill, even big old stove, camp stools...I thought it felt great with 75lbs, and one of my comments on the pack back around 2000 was actually "75lbs never felt so good". Hahaha, that sounds so heavy compared to all the lightweight gear I carry for a night or three at a time, now!
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Owen571---I like your pic and assume it's the Astralplane since it has the old Arcflex frame.  But it looks too small on your back to be the Astral unless you're a big guy.  

Anyway, yes, the Futura yoke is very cool and easy to adjust and the medium fits most every man out there.  Here are some pics for your entertainment---

The Cranbrook school from Michigan does 10 day trips every March and most of the leaders at one time had Danas.  Here's an Astralplane coming off the mountain.

Here's my buddy Rob with his Astralplane in the mountains of NC.  It's huge.

--------------

Post Number: 25
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back in their day, they were great.  My hiking buddy in the early 90s had one, and he probably could have carried me in it.  I had the slightly smaller and a little lighter (but still around 7 lbs, I think) Alpine.  When I went back to a regular pack after 3 or 4 years of carrying baby packs, it just didn't fit right, so I went shopping. . . and found I could have a pack that weighed half as much (or less) and could still carry 45 lbs comfortably--and that's a heavy as I should be carrying.  I've done 50-55 in the past, but I would now do the same trips with closer to 30.  Well, plus the pie I carried into the Dusy Basin that one time. . .

Basically, my gear and packing style have changed enough I don't expect to ever need or want a load monster again.  But I can believe that there are people and circumstances when one is needed, and Dana's packs were excellent.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 26
Kia Kaha Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with Tipis assessment, I had the old terraplane and now have a G5000, the G5000 is a better built pack with a better suspension.  It distributes the weight better and rides more comfortably IMO.

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 27
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jan. 26 2014, 9:45 pm)
Owen571---I like your pic and assume it's the Astralplane since it has the old Arcflex frame.  But it looks too small on your back to be the Astral unless you're a big guy.

I'm a short "big guy", I suppose. Real thick through the upper torso(5'7", 200lb). Pack probably looks small because the toplid's empty, and everything is cinched down, but it's a size M Astralplane OK.
Thanks for the pics!
 Post Number: 28
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have its twin, the K2 Loadmaster.

Great big, durable, bomb proof pack for sure.

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 29
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JOHN/OHIO @ Feb. 03 2014, 12:53 pm)

.....Great big, durable, bomb proof pack for sure.

The Terraplane is an internal design.

Dana also did a Terraframe that was an external.

The one they're reportedly bringing "back" is the internal frame.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JOHN/OHIO @ Feb. 03 2014, 3:53 pm)

Great big, durable, bomb proof pack for sure.

I never had the opportunity to use a framed Dana, although I've used several Kelty's and a North Face external over the years.  Nobody probably remembers the NF Backmagic??

Here it is in action around 2010---though not by me.  It's a Sierra Club trip and the guy had his old BackMagic in storage for 30 years, obviously as it looks new.

--------------

37 replies since Jan. 22 2014, 5:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Terraplane is back
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions