2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: backpack question, adjustable suspension< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 6:58 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was woundering if anyone knows of a name brand gear company that makes an adjustable torso pack. I know there are some out there on amazon but they are not name brand. I am affilated with a inner ring scout troop and the families do not have extra money to buy gear. The boys want to go they just need equipment.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 7:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dueter.
 Post Number: 3
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Osprey has some.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about military MOLLE packs?  Adjustable for different body sizes and types and can be modified in various ways depending on what's being carried. Tough gear and you can likely pick up surplus for not too much.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of the kid's packs I've seen are adjustable. The Deuter Fox is. So is the REI branded one. Gregory and Osprey kid packs do NOT.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Feb. 06 2014, 8:19 am)
Osprey has some.

+1 on Osprey. Considering how big some kids are today I would think of looking at adult packs. I know our Boy Scout troop the boys are pretty good sized and would no way fit into and kid size pack.
 Post Number: 7
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Granite Gear.
 Post Number: 8
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of the boys are bigger than me both in height and girth. So yes adult packs are in order maybe two or three kid packs. According to the guide to safe scouting they must be fourteen to backpack most boys that age have out grown a kid pack. My hope is two get some type of bulk discount we are talking about fifteen packs.
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2014, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get torso measurements.  Most of the ones I am familiar with have rather small ranges they can be adjusted within.  16-18 for example.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
outdoorchick760 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Costco now carries a 45L internal frame pack with adjustable shoulder straps. Its a High Sierra Avenger and costs $55-60 depending on your Costco. Looks like a pretty decent pack, and you definitely can't beat Costco's return policy!!
 Post Number: 11
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many Keltys are adjustable, solid and reasonably priced.  The coyote series are usually pretty cheap and have a wide range they adjust through
 Post Number: 12
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(booyah @ May 09 2014, 8:48 am)
Many Keltys are adjustable, solid and reasonably priced.  The coyote series are usually pretty cheap and have a wide range they adjust through

Yes, the Kelty externals have (or used to have) a metal tube slider with various hole stops for precise torso adjustment.  Common feature with the Keltys.

My Mystery Ranch G series packs (and the new Terraplane) has a great torso adjustment panel on the back which is super easy to adjust, so one pack can fit all torso lengths.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 13
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is what REI says they have with adjustable torsos.

REI adjustable torso

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
 Post Number: 14
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many packs have an adjustable range of about a few inches, but normally you need a basic measurement to be in their ballparks of small, medium, regular or long.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 15
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alps Mountaineering has a scout discount program: http://www.scoutdirect.com/scout/program

If money is an issue, you may need to compromise on the adjustable torso.
14 replies since Feb. 06 2014, 6:58 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply backpack question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions