2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Who's converted?, quilts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 11:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

340 days a year I sleep or toss and turn in my bed.
5 yrs. ago, in my tent I found myself all twisted up and hot, and uncomfortable in every season I hike in.
I don't have the time "in quilt" that Ray E has, but, think of sleeping comfortable. sans: blankee between the knee bones, toss/turn. Why bag when you don't at home?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I'm out I don't sleep "in".

When I'm home I do.

Different.
 Post Number: 3
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Incontrovertibly!
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Non-convert here.  I prefer a bag.

I sleep on both sides and my back and, when I turn, I tend to "hug" the covers and take it with me.  At home, we sleep in a king size bed, so lots of extra covers for me to hug.  In a sleeping bag, I roll the bag with me.   BP'ing quilts, on the other hand, don't work as well.  In cooler weather, I wake up with drafts because I've bunched up most of it in my arms.

I made a summer quilt for really warm nights when drafts won't matter.  40-deg quilt for 60+ degree nights.  The weight savings make it worthwhile.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't say a quilt is any more comfortable than a bag since I sleep on my back and don't move around.  I've started using quilts for the weight advantage.  Frankly, after a day of backpacking I'm so tired that comfort isn't really an issue.  I could sleep on gravel in a straight jacket.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a full time quilt user.  I only carry quilts now, so whether I sleep on the ground or hang, a quilt is my only option.  I swapped over when I realized I was using my semi-rectangular bag as a quilt most of the time.

Now, I am considering hanging in my home.  I am so much more comfortable in my hammock that it has me looking at ways to hang in my bedroom.  Of course, this will mean I sleep separate from M, but I am hoping for the same room at least.  We will always have her bed for the playground, not that we are restricted to there.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Strictly quilt user here..sleepings bags are sooo...80's. Seriously though, I could never go back to useing a sleeping bag. Love my quilts!!

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 8
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still a bag man here...
After investing in a few WM 850's,
Can't really afford any more $$ down right now.

Interesting though, >90 Sierra bag nights last summer and only zipped up my Badger maybe 5 X...
and was glad I had a sleeping bag then.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 9
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnq62 @ Feb. 07 2014, 8:41 am)
340 days a year I sleep or toss and turn in my bed.
5 yrs. ago, in my tent I found myself all twisted up and hot, and uncomfortable in every season I hike in.
I don't have the time "in quilt" that Ray E has, but, think of sleeping comfortable. sans: blankee between the knee bones, toss/turn. Why bag when you don't at home?

If it is not too cold I do unzip my semi-rectangular bag (10 degree?) and use it like a quilt at home. I toss and turn allot, sleep on my stomach.  My arms don't like being stuck in even this wide bag.  It is heavier than a mummy bag, and colder than a mummy bag with the same loft, more space to heat, though the bag does not stay open that much where there is no body part.  Also when I lift the open bag a bit , cold air  will rush in, if I am not wearing much clothing it gives me a momentary chill.  

When you are home you don't have wind, and your house is probably heated.  Some tents block almost all the wind though.

A backpacking quilt is more narrow, than the one you use at home.  It can be roomy compared to a mummy sleeping bag, but not sure how tossing and turning will work. (One book the author says he trained himself to lie stiill! , and does not use one below 20 to 30 degrees, except over a sleeping bag, might use a bivy sack if under an open tarp.  Except for winter bivy sacks they are narrow!

But I am considering a wider one, but might go with the winter wren instead, esp. for hammock.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm about 90% of the way to converted.  I don't think it will happen this season, though, just because of the expense.  Last summer I used my mummy as a quilt about 26 of our consecutive tent nights.  But it was never very cold (except, for some reason, the last night of the trip which was both farthest south and lowest elevation--I zipped it up that night).

I'm not sure that a quilt would save me much weight or offer much more comfort, except that I think I could get something more like 20 deg for the same weight as my 32 deg bag.  That would be more versatile, I think.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I walked away from the mummy into a quilt and shan't be confined again.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 12
92hatchattack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am taking a leap of faith and buying a quilt by the end of next week. I hope everyone that is recomending I try one is right! I think I will do just fine with it. I'm really excited!  No more 10 pound sleeping bag!
 Post Number: 13
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ Feb. 07 2014, 2:48 pm)
Still a bag man here...

Interesting though, >90 Sierra bag nights last summer and only zipped up my Badger maybe 5 X...

Sierra nights must be warmer than N Colorado/Wyoming/Montana nights, because 50% of the time I start with my WM Versalite 10F bag unzipped, and 50% of the time it's already zipped from the time I crawl in the bag, but 100% of the nights, I end up zipping it closed midway through the night and wake up to frost/ice outside 90% of the time.

And that's in July/Aug..

And at 2lbs, 0oz I don't think that's too heavy for 10F warmth.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, SWT, last July we were all over the Canadian Rockies.  Not super high elevations, though, and nights seldom dropped below freezing.  I actually was warmer using the bag as a quilt, in some ways--I sleep curled up, which  almost always ends up compressing the down around my backside.  The main reason I zip up is a need for the hood and total draft control around my neck--and then I can't curl up so don't sleep as well.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 3:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zippers/leg room/egress go potty!/comfort.
I don't sleep like that at home. Why change up?
 Post Number: 16
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 7:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Feb. 07 2014, 12:54 pm)
Non-convert here.  I prefer a bag.

I sleep on both sides and my back and, when I turn, I tend to "hug" the covers and take it with me.  At home, we sleep in a king size bed, so lots of extra covers for me to hug.  In a sleeping bag, I roll the bag with me.

I do think the choice can be dictated in part by sleeping style. I sleep differently that TigerFan -- while I also roll and change positions, instead of in bed bringing the covers with me I tend to roll around underneath them, leaving the covers more or less in place. For this sleep style I found bags terribly confining and a quilt a much better match.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 17
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Johnq62, i have been considering switching to a quilt also. But I want to try one on first.  Do you know of any brick and mortor in our area that stocks quilts.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 18
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes I converted but I also use the straps to secure the quilt to the sleeping pad.  Kind of balances out (cold drafts vs. getting wrapped up), … but love the weight savings (under 20 oz for a 20F quilt)

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

17.25 ounces for a 20 degree Enigma DownTech quilt...sweet. I have a 10 degree Enigma and a 30 degree one also...Will be getting myself a 50 degree Enigma real soon.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnq62 @ Feb. 08 2014, 12:27 am)
Zippers/leg room/egress go potty!/comfort.
I don't sleep like that at home. Why change up?

At home just about everyone sleeps inside the house right? Well in the backcountry I've come so far to experience I'm outside of the confining walls unless driven there by precipitation. Even at higher levels of bugs I'll at least use/consider my Bugnet as a first option before retreating into my shelter.

When it's the only shelter a bag has it's positives. For me anyway.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Feb. 07 2014, 6:36 pm)

(markskor @ Feb. 07 2014, 2:48 pm)
Still a bag man here...

Sierra nights must be warmer than N Colorado/Wyoming/Montana nights, because 50% of the time I start with my WM Versalite 10F bag unzipped, and 50% of the time it's already zipped from the time I crawl in the bag, but 100% of the nights, I end up zipping it closed midway through the night and wake up to frost/ice outside 90% of the time.

And that's in July/Aug..

And at 2lbs, 0oz I don't think that's too heavy for 10F warmth.

Might part of the difference be in or out of a shelter?

Then there's site selection: I habitually go for exposed locales to exploit the wind in keeping bugs at bay (and for the views...), but breezy locations and default sleeping outside make the bag maybe more significant than when behind tent walls? Granted with a partial mesh newer tent at least one isn't waking up in a mountain night to the glorious vision of nylon.... but mesh is still in the way, IMHO.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zippo,
Bill & Paul's in G.R. carry Thermorest I believe
Or try Moose Jaw in Lansing
I own the older Go-lite 20, Jack's r Better and Katabatic Gear quilts.
Years ago, Golite had a sale on there 20 for like $120 and I took the chance and I never looked back. Jacks R Better wide styles or Enlightened Equipment would be a good start.
EE will be my next purchase.
HG is a stellar deal
 Post Number: 23
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2014, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

john, I will check Bill&Pauls again, they may have brought the Thermarest in for '14. Thanks

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 24
LostintheUplands Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2014, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey All,
Please educate (or point me to some links )on the quilt vs bag thing.

I just learned about the existence of quilts browsing this forum.

thanks
 Post Number: 25
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2014, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostintheUplands @ Feb. 09 2014, 6:51 pm)
Hey All,
Please educate (or point me to some links )on the quilt vs bag thing.

I just learned about the existence of quilts browsing this forum.

thanks

OK, I'll try.

When you sleep in a bag, all of the insulation under your body is compressed until useless.  A quilt does away with the zipper weight, and the weight of the insulation that is not helping you stay warm.  Use it like the blanket you use at home.

Most quilts will have a way to close up the footbox.  Mine is sewn up about 18 inches, others use a cord closure, or omnitape.  Some don't close up at all, and are truly like the blanket at home.

There is the issue of letting cold or cool air in when you roll over, so some quilts use a strap to attach the quilt to the pad.  I just wake up, and tuck the quilt back in around me.

Quilts will be significantly lighter.  You will need a hat of some kind for cold nights, as they are not designed to act like a mummy bag.  I just use the same one I carry for my head during the day.

Good quilt makers are usually cottage industries, but there are others as well.  Reading this thread will turn up several good names.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 26
LostintheUplands Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2014, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in the mid-Atlantic, is there a synthetic quilt or are the down quilts treated for water resistance?

thanks for the info
 Post Number: 27
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2014, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostintheUplands @ Feb. 09 2014, 7:20 pm)
I'm in the mid-Atlantic, is there a synthetic quilt or are the down quilts treated for water resistance?

Water resistance is what your shelter is for.  Almost everything has a DWR coating, but it's not meant to keep out any more than moderate condensation.
 Post Number: 28
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2014, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Synthetics aren't any more comfortable if they get soaked through than down is.  Key is keeping it from a wet out.  Shelters in camp, maybe a dry bag while in transit, if it means that much to you.  I carry mine in my kayak, with an event dry bag. It blew off a platform once, and floated off about 20 feet.  When I retrieved it, the quilt was perfectly dry.  

In my pack, it usually is stuffed into the pack last, and just crammed into odd spots.  If rain is in the offering, I put it in a sack, maybe closing it, maybe not.

--------------

Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2014, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostintheUplands @ Feb. 09 2014, 7:20 pm)

thanks for the info

ENIGMA QUILT.   WWW.ENLIGHTENEDEQUIPMENT.COM

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 30
FSGOLD Search for posts by this member.
FloridaTrekker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 7:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too have converted from a bag (North Face Cats Meow) to Enlightened Equipment quilts.  I found the bags restricting, even at my size, and toss quite a bit. The quilts have been great both on a Big Agnes insulated pad in my tent or in my hammock. If its cold as discussed above I wear a hat.  Have  20 and 0 degree quilts. My son has used it and I think he's converted as well.

--------------
FloridaTrekker
76 replies since Feb. 07 2014, 11:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Who's converted?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions