2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Washing down bag in home front loader, OK?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ogg Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 8:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A beloved down bag I've had for many years is finally due for a wash. Is there any reason I should avoid using my home front loader washing machine?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
MississipVol Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMHO - Yes but it would work better with a larger laundromat version. Just make sure it is on low heat and put a couple of tennis balls in there with it. Check frequently and dry not longer than 10 minutes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MississipVol @ Feb. 11 2014, 8:12 pm)
Check frequently and dry not longer than 10 minutes

:laugh:   Sorry, but this gave me a chuckle.  Have you ever washed a down bag?  On low or no heat, it literally takes HOURS...

On the question about using your home machine, I wash mine at home, front loading washer ('hand wash' cycle with extra water and double rinse) and dryer.  I use tech wash or down wash.  I watch the last rinse and, if I see any water that looks soapy, I rinse again.  Haven't had any issues except that it can take forever to dry.  For the dryer, I alternate between low heat and no heat.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should be fine in a machine with no agitator. Choose whatever selection offers the gentlest of cycles. :)

It'll take a whole lot longer than 10 mins to dry. Low heat, some tennis balls, and forever.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 5
MississipVol Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Feb. 11 2014, 8:26 pm)

:laugh:   Sorry, but this gave me a chuckle.  Have you ever washed a down bag?  On low or no heat, it literally takes HOURS...

Sorry, I somehow missed the part about washing it!  :D

I was thinking he was just meaning he wanted to dry it to bring some of its loft back. That is what I am referring to.

Yeah, washing and drying a down bag takes FOREVER and to me it also works better in a larger commercial washer and dryer.
 Post Number: 6
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.backpacker.com/sleepin....31
 Post Number: 7
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Feb. 11 2014, 9:17 pm)

They just posted this today on facebook
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have washed my down sleeping bag in my front load washer on gentle just fine. Before I had one, I washed it by hand in a utility sink. That also worked just fine.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2014, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wash with down soap (not regular detergent) and rinse twice to get all the soap out.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 10
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, wash with the down soap but rinse as many times as you need. Might take five rinses, or more. Then treat the outside with spray-on DWR.
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Feb. 11 2014, 8:26 pm)

Yes, it's really an all-day project.   I went to the laundromat with a roll of quarters and got home about six hours later.  I dreamed about breaking up clumps of down for the next couple nights.
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use hot water with white wine vinegar instead of soap. No residue, no odors.

I would be cautious in regards to the spray on DWR if you choose to use it. Do VERY light coats as it can absorb into the shell and damage your down.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 13
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Front loader fine, just no top loading agitator. Rinse it more than you think it needs. Any residual soap will mess up the down from lofting back up. Give it an extra spin or two in the washing machine to really get as much moisture out as possible before moving to the drying step.  

I can sure see using a dryer this time of year even though it has been about 80 degrees here, especially  where most of the country is having a rather cold winter.  But I have never used a dryer,  my wash schedule is always late May to early June. I just lay the bag outside flat, turn and shake it once every hour and it is fluffed up and dry in about 4 hours.
 Post Number: 14
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have washed my down bags- I have 2- in our top loader on very gentle cycle and then tumble in the dryer on very low heat for 20- 30 minutes and then air dry.  I have never had any problem.

I always use a down detergent.  My bag gets washed after every major outing or about 1x time a year.

--------------
No Shame- Proud to be an American
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2014, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have washed all of our bags in my GE frontloader (moderately large).  It was pushing the limits to do the 15-deg. bag.  

I have to smile at the drying outside notion, AZ.  It would literally never dry here.  This close to the ocean, I can dry regular laundry on the line on a good day, one load, two-four hours.  A down bag would take weeks, and we never get weeks of sunshine.  I use the dryer.

Definitely use the down soap, and I'm making note of the suggestions to do more than two rinses.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 16
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2014, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While certainly do-able to wash your good down bag at home - in your front loader, bathtub, or deep sink using a dedicated down detergent...obviously some risk involved and a longer and more involved process than many first think. All day at the laundramat, how many rinses, dry at low/no heat, tennis balls, air dry for weeks, risk in tearing baffles...why?

After spending big $$ on a quality down bag, IMHO, leave the cleaning to qualified experts...(insured?)

Recommend going to your best local gear store and asking who cleans their bags and go there. Here in Mammoth Lakes, they use XYZ cleaners - very experienced in cleaning expensive down bags. It cost me $25 to have my WM Badger cleaned - no worries.

BTW, cleaning once a year? Way too often in my opinion.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 17
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 1:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ditto Markskor...once a year is too often.....

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 1:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ditto Markskor...once a year is too often.....home front loader is fine tho, I've used mine successfully when I did have to wash a bag.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 1:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ditto Markskor...once a year is too often.....home front loader is fine tho, I've used mine successfully when I did have to wash a bag.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unless you roll in bear s*** during the night, or a giant mud puddle, I don't see the point in washing a down bag.  The down isn't dirty.  If the surface of the bag is dirty, then wipe it with a damp cloth and air dry.  

If your cat pees on your bag, get rid of the cat.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once a year is only reasonable if you are out 45 - 50 nights during that time. Some of us are...

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 22
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, how often you should (or want) to wash your bedding totally depends on how often it is used and in what conditions. We got out for 73 nights last year so my wash schedule might be a bit different than someone who gets out for 5 or 6 nights a year. Make sense?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes, you can wipe off the shell with a wet wipe or wet washcloth. That doesn't take care of the oils from you that get into the fill and impede loft. It takes a long time to see loss of loft.

I can testify to the fact that your body moisture does travel through your bag. Waking up with ice crystals on the shell on a cold dry night - where did the moisture come from? All you need is a bivy and a bag and sub-20F temps to watch this at work. You'll give off 12-14 oz per day of moisture just sitting around - more if you're out sweating all day.

So your down does see some small chemical change that adds up over time, to decrease loft.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 24
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

• Cleanliness: No, not you, the bag! If you've used your sleeping bag a lot, the down insulation can benefit from a wash. Over time, oils and dirt can decrease the loft of the down. Less loft = less insulation. Washing information can be found here

http://featheredfriends.com/choose-sleeping-bag/

washing:

http://featheredfriends.com/washing/
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry it kept giving me an error msg. when I posted
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NM
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NM
 Post Number: 28
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Feb. 14 2014, 3:57 am)
So your down does see some small chemical change that adds up over time, to decrease loft.

That is what I have found too. It happens so slowly that I can't really tell until I wash and then it lofts up bigger than before the wash, filling up the storage sack much fuller. That really surprised me the first time I washed a bag.

and I agree that body oils do find a way into the down. They say that a home mattress gains an amazing amount of weight over time this way so breathable bag shells and down are not immune.

It is a personal thing on how much you clean or wash your camp bedding but I like to when I detect any musty smell or I feel the loft might be served. I wonder if keeping it free of body oils can lengthen the life of the bag. I tend to use mine for decades and like them to stay fresh.
 Post Number: 29
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Almost There - "Once a year is only reasonable if you are out 45 - 50 nights during that time. Some of us are..."
Arizona -"We got out for 73 nights last year so my wash schedule might be a bit different than someone who gets out for 5 or 6 nights a year. Make sense?"

Over 100 nights out last year - Sierra - and respectfully no. Yes, water (evaporation/sweat) does permeate through a down bag, but oils don't. If meticulous about clean night clothes, and you sleep under the bag/quilt...
Agreed the occasional deep wash does/will revive a  well-stained bag but, IMHO washing too often does more harm over the long term...robs the down of its own natural oils.
Suggest the occasional wipe down and a trip to a cold dryer - (or maybe an afternoon in the hot sun?) to fluff it up instead.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 30
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

How often your bag needs washing depends on various factors, one will vary a lot from person to person. It's not nearly as simple as how much you use it.

I now wear long johns to bed in my bag, or use a liner, and I still have to wash it at least once a summer. Body chemistry is different, person to person, and things like the acidity of your sweat also vary.

Same thing with lots of stuff. When I used to practice guitar a lot, in music college, I'd destroy a set of strings in 3 days. They simply wouldn't play in tune after that. Other folks in class would easily get a couple of weeks out of one set.

I've never heard that washing down too much will somehow bother the down, unless you're talking about the physical agitation of the machine.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
31 replies since Feb. 11 2014, 8:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Washing down bag in home front loader
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions