2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sierra Designs Lightning UL2, On the way< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2014, 10:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just honestly wanted to try something new, and this caught my eye.
http://www.sierradesigns.com/product/lightning-2-ul

Light enough, but has some interesting concepts, like having the storage on the sides (no more crawling over my pack) and an awning so you can keep the window open during a rain (show time!).

It's also a bit wider than most UL tents I've tested, so that should be nice.

I'll hopefully have it in a week or so.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting.  Looks like there is a small rainbow zipper to access the side gear storage.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the latter images shows them clearly.
 Post Number: 4
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure wouldn't call it UL, but love the room and ventilation. I really only *need* the smallest of shelters, but larger ones are so tempting sometimes. That's like a palace in the woods, right there. Love all that mesh...
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For 3 lbs 15 oz and forty dollars more, you can have a three person Big Agnes Seedhouse - 30 sq ft vs. 44 sq ft, two inches more headroom, space inside for gear and two people.

Which is not to say you should buy one over the other, but to invite further investigation... There are some new and interesting tents in other labels as well.

Not that I enjoy tents, but a friend asked me to help him find something his nearly-seven-foot person could fit inside.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually own a Copper Spur 2 already. I've been using it for a few years.
I just wanted to try something a bit different. This, and I can review it for the blog which is fun.
 Post Number: 7
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 1:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to love my lightning...used it for several years.  I have a big agnes seedhouse now...but that lightning was a great tent!

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice. The gear closet  is pretty neat.
And compared to your Copper Spur, seems like a lot more tent for pretty similar weight.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's kind of what I was thinking. The tent offer a lot of convenience that the spur doesn't offer...
We'll see how it works when it shows up (Thursday I hope).
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[pet peeve] As an aside: the side pulls require staking, so it's another of those "freestanding my ass" ones like the smaller Seedhouses...

At least for me if the maximum total volume isn't presented just with the poles, but instead requires "some" staking, then it ain't "freestanding" in a functional sense,  no matter that it won't fall over without stakes.  [/pet peeve]

I sympathize with the concern about the weight, complexity additional poles bring, but evenso.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting way to look at it. Do you also not like tents with vestibules? Those also require staking. Are tents with vestibules not free standing?

Me personally, I would never pitch a tent without staking it down, thoroughly.
 Post Number: 12
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Mar. 15 2014, 5:12 pm)
I would never pitch a tent without staking it down, thoroughly.

What do you call a tent that isn't staked down?

A kite.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^^^
This this this
ha ha. That was good.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Except a tent can be anchored against the wind while not requiring the very specific stake points tents that need directional tensioning require in order for he full design volume of the tent and it's full floor area to be available.

If the vestibule is an integral part of the tent structure and requires stakes then, yes, that's not a freestanding tent.

The brag: "Can be pitched anywhere—no matter how impenetrable the surface"

"Anywhere"? Not anywhere you can't place a stake right at the base of the side pull outs. so on an "impenetrable" surface you've got your flopping sides on that kite. Dubious.

So to emphasize: what I "don't like" are  misleading ad copy. Never said I dislike shelters that require staking out in any case.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Sierra Designs Lightning XT 1 I used to have came with just enough stakes for the corners and the vestibule, but not one for that little loop on the back of the fly that keeps the roof from becoming a big puddle of water. I sold it to someone with an extra stake and explained that to them. It wasn't freestanding, either... without all the stakes plus one it didn't have the right shape to it. I think SD tents are pretty decent, but I thought that wasn't very well thought out of them with that particular model.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, ok. So I'm seeing what you mean with your definition of free standing.
My definition has always been a bit different.
To me, free standing simply means it stands up without being staked. Not necessarily functional.
But I do have a question, why would you pitch a tent somewhere that you couldn't stake it down? It's just asking for trouble. I've had to tie parts of my tent down before, but that was desperate times.

Yeah the old Sierra Designs Lightning XT 1 was a pretty poor design, but I'm guessing that's why they changed it. Let's hope the new one holds up much better. If not, I still have the ol BA. :)
 Post Number: 17
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Mar. 15 2014, 10:44 pm)
But I do have a question, why would you pitch a tent somewhere that you couldn't stake it down?

How about trying to stake out the tent here?

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's what rope is for. I could get my non freestanding tent set up in that in a jiffy. Same way I set it up on granite - tie around a 500+ boulder on one end, another on the other end, put in the trekking poles and there you go.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 19
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about trying to stake out the tent here?

Yes, can be done with most tents, some are easier than others (pretty much depends on how many stakes the tent stands up with normaly and as pointed out how fussy it is about stake/guyline placement)

On a trip to Tasmania I was busy adding the trekking poles to my TT Rainbow to get the "freestsnding" option to then attach it to the platform.
It did not take me long but when I finished my mate had already set up his without the "freestanding" bit and was preaparing a hot drink...
His tent :

Never used the freeestanding option aftter that.
 Post Number: 20
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 2:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the awning too, that is one reason I bought the Black Diamond LightHouse, even though it isn't that water proof, good for snow, desert camping.  Much better idea than windows they put in tents for awhile.

I like that it all goes up at once, though I would like a tent where you could pack the inner apart from the outer, but my Double Rainbow has been fine the way it is.
It has a porch set up too, but it angles down quite a bit the view isn't as good for looking at say a distant mountain, nor is it as simple to button up when the weather changes, though I figured out a pretty quick way to do that.

Seems a bit heavy for all those things it does to save weight, but it is freestanding?  I can't tell if I would call  it freestanding.  If the side pulls just affect the vestibule, like a vestibule over a side door, it seems like it would be, floor space would not be affected.  Since a flapping vestibule can be quite annoying and affect weather resistance I could see how some might say the BA is just as freestanding, but I don't think that is what most people would expect.

When I think of a freestanding tent, I think of one that can be lifted and moved or one could shake the junk  out when turning it upside down.  And yes one that could be used without stakes, if it isn't a kite like my Light House, at least at less windy places.  Such as the NF bull frog or similar Mtn Hardware thru hiker.  Also the vestibule on those two tents aren't as critical or under as much tension, so staking could be done with a light stake etc.  (Yes I know even those should be staked out, but the fact is just my gear, much less my body weight would keep them from blowing away in most conditions. )

But now days except for the Lighthouse, all I use is NOT freestanding, and if the staking is good my BetaLight goes up easier.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought the Black Diamond LightHouse, even though it isn't that water proof, good for snow, desert camping.

Am I reading that right, that' it's not good for rain, snow, or desert?
 Post Number: 22
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Lighthouse .
I think that the last bit should read "but good for snow and desert"
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah ok. That makes more sense. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to take that :p
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2014, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This tent showed up today. I'm pretty excited. It's already been up in the yard.
It's quite spacious, and the ventilation is fantastic, perhaps the best I've ever had actually.
Build quality feels quite excellent, and it pitches very sturdy.
Assuming condensation doesn't ruin the fun, this could be my new favorite tent.
23 replies since Mar. 13 2014, 10:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sierra Designs Lightning UL2
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions