2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sawyer Mini, Gravity Deed?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 9:04 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been reading up on the $25 Sawyer Mini...and see where you can splice your hydration tube and filter directly from your bladder.

Taking it one step further, could it be used like the Platypus Gravity Works System??  Dirty bag on top, clean on bottom??

Seems like an ideal use when camped down for the night if water is plentiful...

Anyone ever use it like that?  Seems like a no brainer...which is perfect for the likes of me.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have the mini but I've done same with the regular one. Don't see why not. Just make sure the receiving vessel is not a hard sided bottle. The air inside the bottle will prevent water flow.
 Post Number: 3
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you do wcolucci, let us know, the idea of a sub $50 gravity filter is very interesting to me

figure a platy for the dirty bag, cap drilled for tube, (or modified drinking tube cap) some tube, filter, and have the output go into whatever...

$25 to replace the filter when I decide its gotten bad is a nice plus too
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just make sure the receiving vessel is not a hard sided bottle. The air inside the bottle will prevent water flow.

Agreed....I have several platys that will fit the bill.

$25 to replace the filter when I decide its gotten bad is a nice plus too

well, I was thinking of the 4 pack...not that I'll live long enough to filter that much water....:-)

--------------
 Post Number: 5
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is how I do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMKMit5oWBM

I don't know if the mini has the same threads as the regular but I think it does.
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Mini has threads on the input/dirty end only. The  output/clean end is a short flexible stub to drink directly from or to fit a tube onto, no threads. I had the Squeeze and now the Mini, and for me the Mini has much freer flow thru, so I do think it would work as a gravity filter, if not it would require very little squeezing to move the water through the filter.

As for the clean end, it could go to a flattened soft bladder, would also work if the clean tube fed into a hard-side that had the top opened or if the top had a one-way pressure valve like on the Blue Desert SmarTube.

Also, you can get the Mini for less on Amazon. The price bounces around but was $18 last week with free Prime 2-day shipping.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks JR..ordered it right after you posted the heads up.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Stay thirsty my friend."

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, got some pics for you.

First is the Sawyer Squeeze. I screwed it on to the Evernew bladder and turned it upside down, needed to squeeze it to get it going. Hard to see in this pic, but all that was coming out was a dribble -- separate large drops and globs, would take a while to filter a couple of liters:

Then the Mini. Needed a bit of a squeeze to get going, and then was a moderate steady stream. This is the flow just from the water's gravity:

The clean end of the Mini -- a nozzle to drink straight from or to push a tube directly onto:

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

excellent!  Just as I thought it would be.

My friend has the Platy system and the flow is pretty comparable to what the mini does...

btw, I went to Wallyworld to see if they had any bladders...and there was the mini..on the rack...$18...

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you make me wish my wallyworlds didnt suck...  none at mine  :-/

My local Dicks has them for $25 though, and the platy hoser 3 for $22, so its still under $50 for a new gravity filter...
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wonder what will come first...

Sawyer selling a pre-assembled kit for under $50 or Platypus dropping their price on the Gravity Works...honestly $100+ for what Jr assembled for... what.... $40??

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Evernew was already my squeeze bag for the first Sawyer, so my only cost was the filter itself. In fact, for gravity feed you should be fine to use the delicate Sawyer bags. Maybe a couple of bucks for tubing at Home Depot.

My hope actually is to screw the filter directly to the top of a 1L SmartWater bottle and drink straight from it like that, and then treat all my water containers as "dirty", only filter what I need as I need it. Will be getting a new pack and this idea will depend on whether I can reach back to easily retrieve the water bottle or not.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2014, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It came to my house yesterday

NGD...new gear day...

Hooked it up to an old hydration bladder after the initial flush and it worked perfectly...

--------------
 Post Number: 15
outbackpacker3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm totally getting the mini with my rei dividend I just have to ask what the point of using it as a gravity filter is? From what I've seen about it the flow rate is pretty good, why not just filter on the spot and go?
 Post Number: 16
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2014, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of folks use them for more than 1 camper, so being able to use it as a gravity filter once in camp makes sense.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2014, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me a gravity filter is more about filtering at camp during the evenings.

Bring 3-4l from the lake back to camp and let it hang while I pitch the tent, break out the stove, and get ready for dinner...  then I have water ready for dinner, evening and breakfast, and dont spend the time hanging over the edge of the lake swatting mosquitoes pumping the mini works.

Or during lunch breaks, hang it, and let it do its thing while I break out lunch and enjoy it, then just load up my nice clean water and hit the trail again.  let it do the work while I chill out, or do the other things that need to get done BEFORE I can chill out  :-)
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WOOT!

stopped by my walmart today to check, and there it was $2 less than I can get it on amazon right now!

next stop Dicks sporting goods, they had a 3l platy hoser for $20 the other day.
 Post Number: 19
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2014, 9:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Mar. 21 2014, 10:24 am)
I had the Squeeze and now the Mini, and for me the Mini has much freer flow thru,

Odd the guy at our local backpacking store said the squeeze has a higher flow rate, I wonder if your squeeze is partially clogged?

I tried the squeeze at home when it first came out. I finally decided to take it on a backpacking trip.  I don't know if it is from a lack of use or if it froze, I tried to keep it in a pocket or in my sleeping bag on a ski trip that proceeded this (same road trip), but nothing comes out now, so I checked out the filters at the store and saw the mini, but haven't decided which to get.

Platypus test for a frozen filter is to see if air blows thru after you backflush it.  So it seems like a  filter broken from freezing should be more leaky not less?

I also took Sawyer's water bottle filter, which I convert into a gravity filter to get water to make Tang.  Since I had the squeeze I did not bring the setup I had used to convert this in the past but I did bring the Dromlite bag to stash some water.  I inserted the water bottle filter into the Dromlite and Squeezed water out! (Better than nothing).  I used the bag for the squeeze to stash the water instead.  Odd that much older filter seemed to work.  

Anyway I think next time I will hope to be able to buy a filter somewhere, rather than take it on a ski trip (though it just got down to freezing).

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've considered if my Squeeze was partially blocked, but it has been that way since new out of the package, and I've always back-washed forcefully.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 21
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ May 07 2014, 12:38 pm)
I've considered if my Squeeze was partially blocked, but it has been that way since new out of the package, and I've always back-washed forcefully.

That would bother me.  The Squeeze should have about half the flow resistance of the Mini.
 Post Number: 22
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know my Sawyer Squeeze had quite a bit of resistance when I had one.  Took a lot of "squeezing" to get the job done.  I ended up returning it, in part because the bags were not holding up well (started getting small leak-holes in the bags within a month after purchase).  That was several years ago and I don't know if they've changed it much since, but if not, it wouldn't surprise me if a newer filter component in the Mini happened to be easier to get water through.  Tends to happen with product improvements.  If so, I might consider it again.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ May 07 2014, 4:25 pm)
I know my Sawyer Squeeze had quite a bit of resistance when I had one.  Took a lot of "squeezing" to get the job done.  I ended up returning in, in part because the bags were not holding up well (started getting small leak-holes in the bags within a month after purchase).  That was several years ago and I don't know if they've changed it much since, but if not, it wouldn't surprise me if a newer filter component in the Mini happened to be easier to get water through.  Tends to happen with product improvements.  If so, I might consider it again.

My hypothesis is that there is no technology difference.  I would be fairly surprised if there were, since the Mini doesn't carry a price premium.  I'm tempted to buy a Mini just to do some testing in a gravity configuration.  I could put it head-to-head against the Squeeze and the MSR Autoflow.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ May 07 2014, 4:32 pm)

(GoBlueHiker @ May 07 2014, 4:25 pm)
I know my Sawyer Squeeze had quite a bit of resistance when I had one.  Took a lot of "squeezing" to get the job done.  I ended up returning in, in part because the bags were not holding up well (started getting small leak-holes in the bags within a month after purchase).  That was several years ago and I don't know if they've changed it much since, but if not, it wouldn't surprise me if a newer filter component in the Mini happened to be easier to get water through.  Tends to happen with product improvements.  If so, I might consider it again.

My hypothesis is that there is no technology difference.  I would be fairly surprised if there were, since the Mini doesn't carry a price premium.  I'm tempted to buy a Mini just to do some testing in a gravity configuration.  I could put it head-to-head against the Squeeze and the MSR Autoflow.

OK, my curiosity won out, and I bought a Mini.  I probably won't be able to test until next week, but the filter elements will be Sawyer Squeeze and a Sawyer Mini (both fresh out of the box), and an MSR Autoflow that has already filtered a couple tens of gallons.  I'll test all elements in the Autoflow system using tap water.   I'll measure the water by weight to ensure equal hydrostatic head, and I'll do several runs of each filter.   The main weakness of the method is that it will test only one instance of each element.

ETA:  The second biggest weakness is that it won't track degradation over time.  I suspect the Mini will lose performance more quickly.
 Post Number: 25
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ May 07 2014, 8:47 pm)
OK, my curiosity won out, and I bought a Mini.  I probably won't be able to test until next week, but the filter elements will be Sawyer Squeeze and a Sawyer Mini (both fresh out of the box), and an MSR Autoflow that has already filtered a couple tens of gallons.  I'll test all elements in the Autoflow system using tap water.   I'll measure the water by weight to ensure equal hydrostatic head, and I'll do several runs of each filter.   The main weakness of the method is that it will test only one instance of each element.

ETA:  The second biggest weakness is that it won't track degradation over time.  I suspect the Mini will lose performance more quickly.

Hot damn.  I love these forums.

I assume you're right about the degradation over time, it being a smaller component and all, but it'd take a lot more testing to know for sure, as you're of course aware.

Looking forward to the results.  I'll probably buy a Mini myself if it truly proves faster.  You should contact Sawyer, maybe get a bit of free swag for something like this. :)

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did not see this response I might have waited but I decided to go ahead and get the mini, since I had a $40 coupon (paid $20 for) that was expired, but the store does not seem to care, or check that so far.

I like that it has the option to screw on or use a tube, the squeeze requires an adapter.  

Here is a review of the mini:

http://southwestultralight.blogspot.com/2013....is.html

Another thing I learned is the filter can become “plugged” if it sits around for an extended period. After using it all summer (and backflushing it after every use, including at the end of the summer), the filter was unused over the winter. The first trip I used it the next summer it was very difficult to suck or push water through it, which was a pain since I was dependent on it. When I got home I soaked it in water overnight and backflushed it bigtime and was able to restore it to its “normal” performance, which I described earlier is a little too much sucking and not enough drinking.

So maybe that was my problem with my filter which unfortunately I already threw away, might still be at the bottom of one of my trash cans though.  I did try back flushing and connecting to a bottle full of water for a long time, with little result, as the bags say it might take time to restore flow. I wonder if this filter will have the same problem?  My sawyer water bottle filter has never had this problem.

Back to the new Mini. In my initial tests I found the flow rate to be much better than the Squeeze filter, but of course that can decline over time. For that reason, this will need to be an ongoing review of the Mini; I will add to this blog as I use it more over time.

So he also says the mini has a faster flow but it sounds like he is comparing an old squeeze with a new mini.

The guy on the second floor said he used it on a long hike and the two girls at the cash register said they really liked, without any prompting.

Odd, it seems this filter has caught on while the water bottle filter has not.  I like carrying that version better.  But the weight of converting it to a gravity filter in camp is about the same as the squeeze so I decided to try it as well.

The other thought I had is an air bubble can cause these filters to slow way down , in a gravity filter situation, I think this is true even if it is flowing into an open container.  

See step 3 on page 2 of the Playapus:

http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/GravityWorks_Ins.pdf

Their filter is almost identical to the Sawyer's water bottle filter in shape and size, but it has soft ends, and the hose ends are ribbed so it does not slide into the MSR's sipgot cap as well.

Note besides backflushing one site (HighLighter) said to roll the bags instead of squeezing them to keep them from breaking.
 Post Number: 27
retfird Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very interested in your test result, BL. I have been wanting to try a sawyer mini setup for some time.  I liked your pics JR, and am looking forward to see how brand new filters stack up.  I have had a lot of insane water pumping/mosquito swatting sessions, and like the idea of scooping a few liters out of a stream or lake and gravity filtering in the relative peace of camp.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had a lot of insane water pumping/mosquito swatting sessions, and like the idea of scooping a few liters out of a stream or lake and gravity filtering in the relative peace of camp.

Another reason I liked the water bottle filter (or now squeeze/mini) over pump filters, and one tends to carry less if any water over pump or chemicals. And I even throw out water to get a cool one out of the next stream etc.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just saw this , other sites had broken links to this information:

http://www.sawyer.com/documents/flow-full.pdf

I think both the mini/squeeze, and water bottle filters are one-point and so

The filter itself (there are slight variations between filters)
28 replies since Mar. 21 2014, 9:04 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sawyer Mini
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions