2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: RBH Pack< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RGR275 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 6:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everyone, I just launched a new project on Kickstarter called the RBH Pack. I designed it to be a chest pack to hold some of your smaller items while your out. It fits great under a backpack or it can be used alone. Check it out and let me know what you think about it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162668294/rbh-pack/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like it.  I'm used to chest packs for fishing and have an MRock camera bag that can be configured for many carries including chest pack.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
ambrose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the belts could be made narrower for some weight reduction.

BTW, my wife likes the idea.

--------------
Good things for fun times
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Might take a little getting used to, but it looks like it has possibilities.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I made the chest straps pretty wide because it helps limit the "bouncing" of it if you go running while wearing it. The total weight is about 9 ounces.

I made it to where the cell and main pouch are separated internally by a Velcro strip. This way its easy to place a larger item in there. It can also fit most compacts.

Thanks all for the comments
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you have a good design that will appeal to some people, but not for me. Too much weight in the straps and support to make it in my kit.

Good luck.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks too similar to this:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Product....lt.aspx

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hill People gear makes a good pack but the design is a lot different. The RBH Pack has padded shoulder straps and the chest strap is extra wide. The extra wide chest strap gets rid of the need to use a third anchor line. The RBH Pack is also less than half the price
 Post Number: 9
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm.. I like it.  is it possible to get the shoulder strap with out padding or at least very thin padding (think REI Flash 18 or 22).  I would think the should straps PLUS padding in a normal pacl straps might be bulky?  I really like this idea though.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi starbreaker, no there is only one model for the pack. The padding in the shoulder straps is actually very thin. Its kind of hard to describe but it feels great even under backpack straps. Its like a breathable mesh material. Thanks for your interest and I hope you get one!
 Post Number: 11
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 7:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Neat idea, although honestly I wouldn't personally use it.  Way too much bulk/fuss over a very small gear container.  It's basically a fanny-pack reinvented with double the straps and a bunch of padding.

I'm not trying to denigrate it, per se.  Just giving honest feedback.  To me it just kinda flies in the face of the KISS mentality that I've found to be most useful when choosing backpacking gear.  Adding a bunch of padding doesn't make it "better," per se.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, look. An advertisement.

No, thanks.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 13
Jambeaux Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks RGR275. Whether your product is a success or not, I commend you for innovation and pointing the way toward new possibilities.

Al

--------------
laissez le bon temps rouler
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Although a bit too small for my needs, I like the idea for some people. I would rather have something that fits into my existing pack straps to save weight and utilize the existing structure that is already in place.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Apr. 04 2014, 9:18 am)
Although a bit too small for my needs, I like the idea for some people. I would rather have something that fits into my existing pack straps to save weight and utilize the existing structure that is already in place.

Yeah, I'd be tempted by something like that too.  I already have a shoulder harness on my pack, I'm not likely to want another entire one underneath that just so I can have a chest pocket.  Something that clicks into my backpack shoulder straps to rest comfortably on my chest would be preferred, and probably lighter.  But of course, that depends on the specifics of your backpack.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Apr. 04 2014, 12:33 pm)

Yeah, I'd be tempted by something like that too.  I already have a shoulder harness on my pack, I'm not likely to want another entire one underneath that just so I can have a chest pocket.  Something that clicks into my backpack shoulder straps to rest comfortably on my chest would be preferred, and probably lighter.  But of course, that depends on the specifics of your backpack.

Interesting you should say that because I designed it where the shoulder straps are easily removed by unclipping the front two fasteners and unlooping the chest strap from the rear of the shoulder harness. If you have the same sized clip fasteners you can easily attach it to your own backpack. The chest strap is permanently attached to the pack which you'll want because it will keep it from bouncing while your walking.

Another option is that the pack could also be used in the traditional "fanny pack" position once the shoulder harness is detached

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm not a company/business, just a normal guy that had a neat idea.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RGR275 @ Apr. 04 2014, 11:18 am)

(GoBlueHiker @ Apr. 04 2014, 12:33 pm)

Interesting you should say that because I designed it where the shoulder straps are easily removed by unclipping the front two fasteners and unlooping the chest strap from the rear of the shoulder harness. If you have the same sized clip fasteners you can easily attach it to your own backpack. The chest strap is permanently attached to the pack which you'll want because it will keep it from bouncing while your walking.

Another option is that the pack could also be used in the traditional "fanny pack" position once the shoulder harness is detached

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm not a company/business, just a normal guy that had a neat idea.

That sounds good.  If I were you, rather than going with the assumption that someone has "the same sized clip fasteners" (which they may not, and likely don't at just the right spot they'd need them), you might think about making a few velcro-style "accessory straps" that can be wrapped onto your current backpack harness and then clipped into the chest pack instead of using the separate shoulder harness it currently has

Do that, and also give the option of a few different sizes (someone who carries just a few granola bars and an iPhone has different needs than someone with a DSLR camera), and I'd consider buying one.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like everyone mentioned, great idea but a bit small for my use.

I've actually taken a day pack and worn it backwards when hauling lots of bulk

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 19
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is an interesting idea and I like the separated storage compartments, but like some others have pointed out it makes a bit more sense to be able to use the existing structure of a pack if you are wearing it with that.  I like my Osprey Grab Bag since it clips into the webbing of the shoulder straps.  Perhaps if you made the harness detachable and add ways to attach it to a pack.

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
18 replies since Apr. 03 2014, 6:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply RBH Pack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions