2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What sleeping pad are you using?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:33 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a bit curious to as what everyone is using these days.
I'm currently still using my Big Agnes Insulated Q-core SL.
It's a bit narrow (about 18 inches in reality), so I'm hoping for something wider, and maybe even lighter.
What's everyone working with?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
mrcarmanm3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been using an Insulated Air Core and have been very happy with it, wish it was a tad bit smaller packed but for the price I'm happy.

I'm mostly a hammock guy so it usually only get used in the winter.
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Neo Air (original one, still good, no leaks) and a BA Q Core (original one) and no need to change.

Except I only use them when I can't use the hammock - which is still 1 - 6 nights each month.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another mostly hammock guy, but I still use my 2 pads occasionally.  I have a NeoAir and an older Prolite series thermarest.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For backpacking, a POE uninsulated air pad, with a blue foam when it's colder, and an REI heavy, thick, luxury pad for car camping.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

really old (now) insulmat max thermo  one of the early generation of inflated insulated air pads.

Got it for like $20 off steep and cheap years ago and its still going strong.  I would like to do a neo air x therm, but havent gotten around to it yet
 Post Number: 7
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i carried a Thermorest Traillite for years... upgraded to a long/wide Synmat UL7 last year... really dig sleeping on a wide pad.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These days I use a NeoAir, regular.  In shoulder seasons I'll pair that with a cheap closed-cell foam, and in winter on snow I use an Exped Downmat 7.

In deepest winter (Greenland), I use the Downmat plus the closed cell foam.

For context, I'm one of those camping Neanderthals that still sleeps on the ground.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3 season - ProLite + short and a blue CC pad under.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 10
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Apr. 04 2014, 9:50 am)
For context, I'm one of those camping Neanderthals that still sleeps on the ground.

:laugh:
Same here.  I have a Neoair Trekker, which I like a lot.  In colder temps I use a BA Dualcore.
 Post Number: 11
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

REI Flash long

Before that, had two BA develop leaks in the seam very quickly. Have had no trouble with the REI.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 12
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Neo X-lite. Paired with a ridge rest in the winter.
Ground sleeper so far...
 Post Number: 13
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Prolite Plus 3/4 is my primary pad. I combine with a full length Z-Rest in winter.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Neoair XLite.  I also sometimes still use a BA IAC.
 Post Number: 15
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NeoAir Allseason and NeoAir Trekker.  Recently got a RidgeRest SOLite, but at my age and being a side sleeper that's not working as well.  I'm hoping to get used to it.

I meant to get the RidgeRest Solar (blue), but goofed and got the SOlite (green), which has a lower R value.
 Post Number: 16
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another NeoAir Xlite here. Mine is wide/long, I'm not a big guy but I toss and turn. Thinking of trimming the length but quite happy with it.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 17
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NeoAir X-lite. It was painful shelling out the $$ for it, but it's been great for 2 years.
 Post Number: 18
3-gun. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exped syn mat 7 pump most of the time and a LW synmat in the summer or saving weight.

--------------
"But the new Admin. is a Master in IDPA"
"MASTER in IDPA..."
"is like C Class in IPSC!"
 Post Number: 19
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exped Synmat7 for most seasons. A NeoAir Trekker when I want to go light during the summer.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 20
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I both use the BA IAC pads.
 Post Number: 21
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm another guy with an old Insulmat.  Its a shame what happened to that company, because they had a great product.  I don't know what I'll get when I have to replace it.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 22
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone ever tried the Insulated Astro Lite 20R from Nemo?

Astro Lite Insulated 20R
 Post Number: 23
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^^^My Wife and I looked at those at REI.  I'm not sure if they would make crinkling sounds when you lay on them, but they sure did hanging up.

Edit:  it may have been the Neoair.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 24
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Apr. 04 2014, 2:48 pm)
Anyone ever tried the Insulated Astro Lite 20R from Nemo?

Astro Lite Insulated 20R

I have been thinking this will be my next pad when I need one.  

I have tried the NeoAir Xlite and wasn't overly impressed with it.  These days depending on my mood I either use a BA Q-Core (original one) or a Z-lite SOL.

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
 Post Number: 25
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been liking the Exped Synmat UL-7, which I inflate using the Schnozzle pumpbag. Fairly light and compact. I also used it this winter in combination with a Thermarest Z-Lite CCF pad, down to 10 Degrees.
 Post Number: 26
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I've finally accepted that I don't particularly like the air mattresses (and, yes, I've tried both NeoAirs and Expeds, and I've also tried them at all levels of inflation.)  I have NeoAir's, both the original and the XLite.  I take one when I really need my gear to be at its lightest.  When  I can afford to take a few extra ounces, I take a women's ProLite Plus.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 27
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Backpacking and kayak camping: Expend Synmat 7 wide. To justify the weight I took 1 lb off my sleeping bag.

Car camping: REI Campbed 3.5 or Exped Megamat.
 Post Number: 28
MississipVol Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mrcarmanm3 @ Apr. 04 2014, 9:39 am)
I've been using an Insulated Air Core and have been very happy with it, wish it was a tad bit smaller packed but for the price I'm happy.

I'm mostly a hammock guy so it usually only get used in the winter.

I have this same one in the mummy version. I love how thick it is but I wish it was a bit wider, primarily because I use it occasionally in my hammock as an insulator pad.
 Post Number: 29
kevperro Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exped UL7 is my flavor.  I add a nibbled on foam pad in transition season.

--------------
“He is a self-made man, very much in love with his creator.”

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 30
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exped downmat 7 year round because I'm always freezing.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
57 replies since Apr. 04 2014, 9:33 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What sleeping pad are you using?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions