2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tarptent Notch for sale, for sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mountaindreamer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 10:21 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Tarptent Notch for sale.  Have not used it once and have not even seam sealed it.  It's in box it came in.  It has mesh sides. My Trek poles are a little short for it.  I'm gonna use my hammock for  awhile.  Price on their site is $275.00. I'll sell for $225.00 and ship it for free anywhere US.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm interested.  Please send me a PM.
 Post Number: 3
mountaindreamer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 13 2014, 1:43 pm)
I'm interested.  Please send me a PM.

message sent
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a Notch in my gear room.  Tomorrow I can stop wondering whether I'll like it better than the Contrail.  :)
 Post Number: 5
LoneWolfe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 18 2014, 6:59 pm)
There's a Notch in my gear room.  Tomorrow I can stop wondering whether I'll like it better than the Contrail.  :)

That's great.  I thought long and hard about buying one - and I already have a cuben SoLong 6.  If the Notch had enough room for me and my dog, I'd have one.  I think the flexibility of pitching the inner w/o the rain fly or the rain fly w/o the inner gives it the edge on the Contrail.

--------------
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  ~Albert Einstein
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's definitely easier to pitch in the wind than the Contrail and requires less adjustment after it first goes up.  I suspect the foot end may be more storm-resistant, although the Contrail is plenty good if you use a strut.  My creaky old knees like the side entry.  I'll have to actually camp in it to know how much I care about trading internal width for more vestibule space.
 Post Number: 7
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Big Load,
welcome to the Notch users club.
At first you would think that the much smaller floor area will make you feel a bit crumped but in use I found it better than the Contrail when stuck inside.
I have spent recently a full afternoon and evening under rain inside it (I was camping...) so  I made myself a comfy seat and read most of the time.

Cooking was easy having the Caldera Cone in one vestibule and the pack and food in the other.
With the pack I had (taller than the one in the photo) I can actually sit up having the Neo Air draped over the pack and that leaning against the inner and fly.
I came up with that on a previous trip.
(not for the accident prone type)
 Post Number: 8
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LoneWolfe @ Apr. 20 2014, 4:18 pm)
I already have a cuben SoLong 6.

How are you liking the SoLong, LoneWolfe? I've had my eye on getting a lighter tent and just last week ran across your thread from 2012 where you'd just ordered your SoLong.

I'd be curious to know your take after using it for a couple of years.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 9
LoneWolfe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(schlanky @ Apr. 21 2014, 8:29 am)
How are you liking the SoLong, LoneWolfe? I've had my eye on getting a lighter tent and just last week ran across your thread from 2012 where you'd just ordered your SoLong.

I'd be curious to know your take after using it for a couple of years.

I like it a lot. The construction quality is outstanding.  It sets up easily - not as easily as the Notch, but certainly easier than the Tarptent Double Rainbow that I owned.  It held up well in the few storms that I've been in.  Condensation has not been a problem at all, but I hike mainly in the Rockies.

It has plenty of space for me, my dog and my gear.  The vestibule space is very small, just enough room for my boots.

As I mentioned, it is a cuben tent.  Cuben is an amazing material.  With the DR, it seemed like I was always adjusting the pitch as the silnylon cooled, got wet, dried out or got hot in the sun.  With cuben, just pitch it and forget it. The only con for cuben (other than price) is that it does not pack down as well as silnylon so the packed tent is larger than it's silnylon counterpart.

The only thing I would have done different in ordering this tent is get the awning version.

--------------
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  ~Albert Einstein
 Post Number: 10
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, LoneWolfe---that's useful info. I wasn't sure on going with an awning. It sounds like between very small vestibules and needing all the ventilation I can get in the south, I'd do better to get it with the awning if I end up getting the SoLong.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 11
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BL, Franco, and others, riddle me this -

I have a Double Rainbow and like it.  However, in reality it's larger and heavier than I need.  For the past year or so I've occasionally ogled other tents, tarps, etc.

I'm currently semi-seriously looking at the MLD Solomid + bug net, or maybe a Contrail.

Double Rainbow
41 oz
length:  88"
width:  50"
height:  43"

Notch
27 oz
length:  84"
width:  32"

Contrail
27.5 oz
width:  42"
height:  45"

Solomid + net (using net dimensions)
24.5 oz
length:  102"
width:  28"
height:  44"

I realize that the angle of the fabrics when the tent/tarp is pitched makes a difference regarding usable area, and as BL has mentioned, ease of setup also makes a difference.  Still, I can't see picking the Notch over the Contrail or Solomid.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The good news is that there are many more choices in this size/weight regime than there used to be.   I would add the SMD Lunar Solo and Skyscape Trekker to that list.

Anyway, I use a Double Rainbow when Mrs. big_load comes along.  For solo trips, the Contrail offers similar interior storage area for a lot less weight.  It sets up a little faster, but it takes more fussing to get a really taut pitch.  It provides good storm protection if used wisely, but isn't as foolproof as the Rainbow.  It lacks side entry, but if you use the dual-pole, A-frame type setup, entry and exit should be almost as convenient.  I have a lot of nights in it and have a fair amount of sentimental attachment.  

With the Notch, I only have yard experience so far.  It sets up easier than any tent I've ever owned.  It should be about as stormworthy as the Rainbow if properly guyed.  I'm not sure how I'll feel about the interior space, but Franco's photo illustrates it well.  

I haven't used a Lunar Solo myself, but I've been on several long trips with others who used one, and they were all very happy with their choice.
 Post Number: 13
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Apr. 24 2014, 7:51 pm)
BL, Franco, and others, riddle me this -

I have a Double Rainbow and like it.  However, in reality it's larger and heavier than I need.  For the past year or so I've occasionally ogled other tents, tarps, etc.

I'm currently semi-seriously looking at the MLD Solomid + bug net, or maybe a Contrail.

Double Rainbow
41 oz
length:  88"
width:  50"

Notch
27 oz
width:  32"

Contrail
27.5 oz
width:  42"
height:  45"

Solomid + net (using net dimensions)
24.5 oz
length:  102"
width:  28"
height:  44"

I realize that the angle of the fabrics when the tent/tarp is pitched makes a difference regarding usable area, and as BL has mentioned, ease of setup also makes a difference.  Still, I can't see picking the Notch over the Contrail or Solomid.

I had a SoloMid and that length is deceiving.  The ends slope significantly, whereby both my head and feet would touch the ends when laying down.  I am 6',1" tall.

In addition, the inner net is shorter!

If it is raining, you will not be able to get in without getting some moisture in the shelter because of the sloped wall.

Don't forget as well that the weights you quote for the Tarptents include peg weight so you will have to add that to the SoloMid.

I sold the SoloMid and went to a Notch.  Because of the supported vertical ends, the 84" is all usable.  More width in the inner tent vs the MLD inner tent.  Two vestibules, two doors, and a drip free entry.  Far more stable in the wind.

If you go to Cuben for the SoloMid, then there is a weight benefit that is significant.  Otherwise, there is zero benefit to the design over the Notch.

There is an XL version of the SoloMid that adds a couple of inches in usable space.  However, the inner is no larger.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find for a large part of my Sierra hiking season I leave the innernet (9 ozs) behind and just take the Solomid,  Cuben at 10.5 ozs. Plus Vargo ti stakes at 0.27 ozs. each, a polypro ground cloth at 1.2 ozs. and the trekking poles I carry anyway. Also I've not felt the length is a problem and I'm'  6'2", but I only use it when I've no intention or want of "living" in it, a sleep shelter and that's it. Also it's from his last batch of Yellow Cuben so it's got a "light" visual feel to it when inside. When tautly pitched it sheds any wind the Sierra throws at it with zero issues. And I'm close to always a long ways above timberline in pretty thin shelter, admittedly with both lower edge stakes and guyed out.

Speaking of double pole mids what about the Sublite?

I've always liked the look of that one. Not for snow (that flat top on the longer dimension looks trouble in snow loading...), but otherwise...

http://www.tarptent.com/sublite.html

And at 19.5 ozs. it's a contender on weight as well.
 Post Number: 15
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Franco, I already acknowledged that the difference in angle makes a difference in usable space.  The same obviously goes for the net, which is probably part of the reason that the Solomid net is 18 inches longer than the Notch.

As for the Tarptent pegs, I replace them with MSR Groundhogs or thin Ti stakes depending on the ground, so that's the same for both tents.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI:
The Mountain Laurel Designs InnrNet dimensions seem off: the solo is listed at MLD as 90". so is the Duo while the Supermid is listed at 92".

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop...._id=127

"SOLO InnerNet
This is the shelter used with the SoloMid used by Andrew Skurka on his incredible 4700mi Alaska -Yukon Expedition for heavy bug pressure. - http://www.andrewskurka.com
$145 9oz Pro Silnylon Bottom
$225 6.9oz Cuben Fiber Bottom
Pyramid Shape for more inside room vs a half pyramid design.
Long = 90"
Wide = 28" Head and Foot
Tall = 44"
Will fit up to 6'3" person with a long bag with head and foot lightly touching each end.

Can be used with the SoloMid, SuperMid or DuoMid.

DUO InnerNet
$165 13.5oz Pro Silnylon Bottom
$265 9.9oz Cuben Fiber Bottom
Long = 90"
Wide = 50"
Tall = 46"
Will fit two people. If either person is over 6' or uses a long bag, better to lie head to foot for more for room. If either person is over 6"3 or X wide - it will be tight.

Can be used with the SuperMid or DuoMid.

SUPERMID InnerNet
$195 19oz Pro Silnylon Bottom
$345 14oz Cuben Fiber Bottom
Long = 92"
Wide = 92"
Tall = 54"
Palace for Two- OK with three- Four gets very friendly!

Solo and Duo sizes fit the SoloMid, DuoMid and SuperMid"
 Post Number: 17
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HSF - thanks.  I'm not sure where I got 102".  There website is far from the best, but the info is generally available.

Interesting that at 6'1" FamilyGuy is a bit cramped, and at 6'2" you're not.  Hard to say what I might think at 5'10".  To each our own...

FamilyGuy/Franco - sorry, I got the two of you mixed up.  Your avatars are similar, at least when seen out of the corner of my eye.  My earlier reply was to FG, not Franco.

Thanks.
 Post Number: 18
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No problem on the mix up.  Except that Franco has a much cooler job.

With respect to the SoloMid, I sleep on a NeoAir with a 'Long' bag.  Both ends of the bag would push against the walls of the shelter and this is without the inner net tent.  If the shelter was taller, like the DuoMid, the angles of the ends would not be as severe and there would be more usable space.

If you plan on not using an inner net tent, you could consider the Tarptent Stratosphere 1 fly only option.  Weighs about the same as the DuoMid, give or take a couple of ounces but without any of the downsides - more usable space, more usable length, drip free entry, dual doors, vertical poles set up.

Just a thought.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm the old man with the walking sticks...

Often I see that folk greatly underestimate the difference an inch or so of mat height makes on the usable floor length.
This does not apply to straight up or outward sloping walls but the more common inward type.
The other point is that if you sleep on your back you will be longer than your height standing up because the tip of your foot points outward in that position.

HSF RE Sublite.
The Sublite is a lot more compact than the Notch .
Designed for hot and or very humid environments (cloth Tyvek breathes very well) but not for high winds nor heavy rain.
Size comparison with the Notch :

BTW, crappy pitch for the Notch.
When you see the ridgeline like that it means that the two ends are too far apart, 3" or so  in this case
That causes that excessive bend on the apex.
 Post Number: 20
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Apr. 25 2014, 5:55 pm)
There website is far from the best, but the info is generally available.

"Their" website.  We really need a Spelling Sentinel around here.  How embarrassing...
 Post Number: 21
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FG, where I live a bug net is de rigeur spring though fall.  Winter is our only chance to avoid mosquitos, black flies, ticks, etc.

I'm currently a lifelong side sleeper on an air mattress trying to teach myself to sleep more on my back (I feel better in the morning) on a CCF pad.  Time will tell how that works out.

In general, I'm looking at this future shelter as my minimal shelter which I can use in strong wind, precip, and bugs.  I know that those criteria are relative, but that's my intent.  I will say that snow load is not considered to be an issue, although wind is.

Franco - I agree on the "sloping inward".  The angle can make worlds of difference.  With my Double Rainbow I'm completely spoiled for space in all directions.

Looking at the images on MLD's website it looks like the Solomid can be used with a side entry, although a trekking pole will be in the middle.  At first glance this appears to be undesirable, but considering that the netting on my DR door only covers half the length of the tent, it's pretty much the same.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The pad may be part of it, I use a short Prolite. Plus I'm a side sleeper?

Ah well, then the Sublite wouldn't necessarily do for above timberline Sierra. Didn't that once come in a different fabric?

Since the trekking poles angle out the one by the entrance doesn't impede it follows the edge of the immovable half of that sides when there's the innernet. Probably again some personal preference, like I can't tolerate a center pole until the shelter gets to be the size of a MegaMid.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Notch is the replacement for the Sublite Silnylon.
A few ounces heavier but has a lot more usable space particularly for the taller type.
The pole is not on the way .
This photo might illustrate this a bit better :

note that the pole is on the same line as the door wall of the inner.
In other words if the pole was not there at all (so for example the tent is up having the apex guylines attached to a tree) the entry would still be exactly the same.
22 replies since Apr. 13 2014, 10:21 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tarptent Notch for sale
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions