2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sierra Designs website< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 1:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.sierradesigns.com/sleeping-bags

They're putting out some unique gear right now.  The new bed, the quilt with a hood, the wearable with arm holes.  Neat designs.  Their tents look pretty slick, too.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They've really been on a roll lately.
Someone is finally rethinking what backpacking gear needs to be. I'm using the Lightning UL2 tent right now, and it's wonderful. I never realized how much I disliked door vestibules until I didn't need them any more.
 Post Number: 3
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you know how wide of a 2.5" thick sleeping pad will fit in the sleeve of the new bed?
 Post Number: 4
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a tent they made, the Pharaoh, some twenty-five years ago. I still have the pack-jacket that came 'free' with it. Unfortunately, my pack and the tent got sent to Aruba when I got sent to Costa Rica...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you know how wide of a 2.5" thick sleeping pad will fit in the sleeve of the new bed?

I actually  measured the sleeve, and it's 20 inches exact. I doubt much more would squeeze through.
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Apr. 16 2014, 9:31 am)

From the specs:

Sleeping Pad Sleeve Width:
   Men's Regular: 20 in. / 51 cm
   Men's Long: 25 in. / 64 cm

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, I'm totally blown away by those new sleeping bag designs. They might just be everything I'm looking for. So glad I saw this thread!
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks TDale & treelinebackpacker. :(  If I were to get the SD bed, which I don't need, I would either have to get the long or get a new narrow pad, which I don't need.  I have at least 6 sleeping pads, but I only have 4 sleeping bags.  So, I have to decide which piece of gear I don't need I want the most.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm, I would have the same dilemma. I use the 25" X-lite
 Post Number: 10
Kia Kaha Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are not rethinking anything IMO, just keeping an eye on the cottage gear maker and putting out their items before the big manufacturers get to it.  One of the folks from SD (Michael Glavin formerly of MSR)was getting some feedback and letting some members test out some of these items over on BPL a few months back.  I think the general consensus was SD is in the middle (or trying to be) of the big companies and the cottage gear maker.  There is certainly nothing new with the designs, see:  Tarptent, SMD, and the dozen or so cottage guys making quilts.  

As a quilt user, why would you want a hood on a quilt?  You can not use it as a quilt with a hood on it.  That is what down hoods and down hats are for, so you can toss around without worrying about it.

You can check out the discussion here.  Very interesting.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin....d=82167

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Sierra Designs bed looks innovative to me with the combination of zipperless bag, quilt, hood, arm sleeves, pad sleeve and foot pouch.  I can understand if it doesn't work for everyone, but I find the combination of features very creative.  Somehow, even with all those components it still seems quite simple.  

Some of the discussion on BPL is interesting, but I think categorizing a manufacturing company by size is irrelevant to the functionality of a product.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup I'm with llama, the bed is what caught my eye. I'd like to try it out. I have not seen that set of features from any cottage quilts. I might hate it, but I like new gear.
 Post Number: 13
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the video on the bed I notice large open spaces around the neck and head due to lack of drawstrings. The foot vent is interesting, but I would never buy a zipperless bag that can't open up entirely.

It looks like SD recognizes the problems with a mattress being contained in a pocket along its whole length, so they're a step ahead of Big Agnes.

On the tent page it looks like they've discontinued several tents. Maybe there are good deals around on those models.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That backcountry bed is a quilt, I can't see anything I can't do with my snap foot box HG quilt except for attach it to a pad, which could easily be done with a piece of shock cord, but why attach it?

The backcountry bed just takes from elements of quilts that are already out there.  You can get quilts with snap foot boxes that vent, different taper widths to tuck as needed/preferred, etc.  The backcountry bed looks to be taken from a chapter of Hammock camping, the way an under and top quilt are utilized with each other.  I like what they are trying to do here, I really do, and I wish them success, I just don't see anything new, different approach, but not new.  Some of it looks to be trying so hard to be little different that it comes off as overthought, gimmicky, and even desperate for something new IMO, but best of luck to SD, at least they are trying, and getting out of the box a bit, and I am glad to see that in the market.

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Apr. 19 2014, 9:48 pm)
In the video on the bed I notice large open spaces around the neck and head due to lack of drawstrings. The foot vent is interesting, but I would never buy a zipperless bag that can't open up entirely.

It looks like SD recognizes the problems with a mattress being contained in a pocket along its whole length, so they're a step ahead of Big Agnes.

On the tent page it looks like they've discontinued several tents. Maybe there are good deals around on those models.

Good observation, I think.  There are several flaws I see, in regards to the open spaces, why have this "hood" if that is what you want to call it on a quilt?  It is not needed at all. Especially since the warmest one is the three season rated to 31 (20 extreme)?  Those of us that us quilts understand at that temperature you need only a simple fleece hat, heck, if it gets to 20, throw on a black rock down hat at couple ounces and it will toss and turn with you and you can leave it on when you get up to take a leak.

Most top quilts are designed to cinch up around the neck while you are completely tucked in and do not use open spaces.  This design would work for warmer weather, but for that it seems a bit overbuilt, keep it simple.

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 16
kevperro Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks interesting but I liked the older designs better.    They should have just updated materials and left the classic Clip Flashlight alone.

--------------
“He is a self-made man, very much in love with his creator.”

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 17
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kia Kaha @ Apr. 20 2014, 12:02 am)
why have this "hood" if that is what you want to call it on a quilt?  It is not needed at all. Especially since the warmest one is the three season rated to 31 (20 extreme)?  Those of us that us quilts understand at that temperature you need only a simple fleece hat, heck, if it gets to 20, throw on a black rock down hat at couple ounces and it will toss and turn with you and you can leave it on when you get up to take a leak.

Most top quilts are designed to cinch up around the neck while you are completely tucked in and do not use open spaces.  This design would work for warmer weather, but for that it seems a bit overbuilt, keep it simple.

I find a hood warmer than a hat when the temperature is at or below the bag's temperature rating. E.g., when I use a 35F bag at 25F (which I do).

But there's something out of synch with this "bed bag." I think a three-season bag, which will be used in the summer, must have a zipper for full venting. I would not want to be in a 31F bag when the temperature is over, say, 55F and not be able to fully unzip it.

I think this bag is gimmicky, but one problem it addresses is having your arms outside the bag on a cold night to, say, hold a book. I encounter that problem a lot.

My verdict is that this design is imperfect for both warm and cold weather---doesn't vent enough, yet leaves open spaces.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've slept several nights in the bed by now, and I've found the hood quite nice. I don't like to sleep in a hat or a beenie. I don't like anything wrapped around my head. I'd rather snuggle up with the soft down. Especially when the temps drop just under the temperature rating (at which point I was still warm enough). The hood really comes in quite handy.

The backcountry bed just takes from elements of quilts that are already out there.

It's really not trying to be a quilt though. It's just trying to be a sleeping bag, without the zippers. It does this very well.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing I dis not mention is the price point, to compare to my HG Burrow top quilt:

SD BC bed 3-season

temp rating 20
fill 800 dri duck down
total weight  40 oz
price $400

HG Burrow

Temp rating 20
fill 850 dri Hungarian goose down
total weight 17.3 oz
Price  $250

and one of these is custom made to your specs in Ohio, USA, the other...not so much, just a page on their site about social responsibility.

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's certainly a pretty solid value. I can't argue the weight savings or cost difference, (although the backcountry bed is actually only $350. The Burrow 20 only has 12 ounces of fill, much of the weight savings. 12 ounces of fill isn't going to keep me warm at 20 degrees.  Maybe 35 or 40. Especially not without a full wrap or secure attachment to my sleeping pad (my primary source of insulation).
That's great for minimalist, but I don't see the average backpacker going for it. Plenty of guys on this forum would appreciate it, however.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The HG quilts are conservative for most, I have been well below advertised in my 20 and 40 version.  Quilts are more efficient since they remove the down you are sleping on top of, they simply have less baffle to fill.  The loft on my HG burrow 20 is slightly more (about 1/4") than my WM Alpinlite 20 with 19oz of fill, also bear in mind the 850 down is 6% more efficient by volume, and SD uses 800.  SD advertised quilt has 11 oz fill for a 28 degree product to further put into perspective.  The loft can be seen here:  http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-20/
You'd be surprised how efficient quilts are, you should check out some of the Minnesota hammock hangin groups with nights out registered in the -40 range using top and bottom quilts, not my cup of tea, but my quilts are every bit  as warm as my WM bags of which I have owned and used the caribou, highlight, versalite, and lynx.

Obviously hike your own hike and all that, but fill weight can be decieving if you are not comparing apples to apples.  I recognize the BC Bed is not a quilt per se, but it does take from many aspects of them.

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 22
RandallW201 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just bought the Zissou 12 sleeping bag. So far I'm pretty happy with it. When I got down to the last three choices on my list to choose from Sierra Designs were two of the three.

--------------
I'm goin' backpackin' cause I ain't gettin' any younger!
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

fill weight can be decieving if you are not comparing apples to apples

This is very true. I had overlooked the difference. I'd like to try one eventually. They look nice, but I would definitely only use it in the summer (just my own preference).
I just bought the Zissou 12 sleeping bag

I was actually eye balling that one for the lady. She's a cold sleeper, so it would be great to have something as light as it is and hopefully actually keep her warm. She needs the full 360 insulation to keep her warm. Even with a insulated pad, she gets chilly at about 15 below her bags comfort rating.
22 replies since Apr. 15 2014, 1:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sierra Designs website
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions