2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Low cost 65 -75 pack< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Wolf0503 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 12:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't want to save for years for a Baltoro yet I read the gear guide year after year  because I want good gear. I know good gear costs $$$$$$$ but I not paying $350 for a pack. That would be okay if I made it but I don't make that kinda dough. Is there any there any other option? Does this even exist.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure.  Go to REI, Campmor, and sierra trading post and look for packs there.  I've never paid more than $80 for a pack.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting...
The money is not my driving issue on packs today (well, yes but not that much). What concerns me is the caliber of the products now being sold. I am talking of packs in the 60 liter range - capable of holding 35+ pounds comfortably, that can hold a bear can, will work for ~14 days out, will last longer than one hard (100 day) season, without tearing/ falling apart.

IMHO, there are two breeds/schools of thought of the big name brand pack manufacturers today:

The UL cheaply made, "last-one-season", $300 kind...These include the Osprey models, most ULA packs with their shoddy suspension, fraying straps, the Deuter (fall apart) model, the Gregory Z line, etc. Too light, too cheaply made, cannot carry weight, inferior suspension, bearcan unfriendly, ...IMHO, just cheap, disposable crap made to last one hard year and carry 25 pounds max.

Then there are the packs loaded with all whistles and bells, extra pockets and zippers, able to access the inside through multiple holes (why?) but added weight, lids that detach to make day packs...packs that include the Boltero, Triconi, Trace, etc - basically 60 liter brute packs that can carry 40 pounds and a can but themselves weigh out in the 6 - 7 pound range.

Why cannot somebody make a basic, simple, ~ 60 liter size pack, with bottle holders, which has bomber suspension, can carry a bear can and 35 pounds to start comfortably, will last longer than one long season fishing off trail, without breaking, and the pack itself doesn't weigh over 4 pounds? Why not use better materials and charge $100 more? This type pack philosophy would work for me.

McHale has made good use this philosophy but @ $900 - a bit much. There has to be some middle ground.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot listed at REI in the $170 or so range in that approximate volume.

What's your planned usage?

Oh and no such thing as universally "good gear", just appropriate for the requirements gear.

Just like "The Best!" is a total oversimplification.
 Post Number: 5
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rei and Kelty bost make fantastic, affordable backpacks in that range (100-200$ usually). The Kelty Coyote is quite comfortable, and easily holds over 40 pounds in my experience. The Lakota 65 is also pretty nice, also from Kelty.
I personally use an REI flash pack, for it's light weight and fairly decent comfort.
 Post Number: 6
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huh.

Both Campmor and BackCountry Edge have the Kelty Tioga 5500 on sale for $180.
http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty-tioga-5500-classic.aspx
http://www.campmor.com/kelty-tioga-external-frame-pack.shtml

Should make both the complainers happy. :)
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

markskor, I hear ya' on the "simple, durable pack" dilemma for off-trail use, where a pack gets torn up far quicker than strolling down trails.

That said, I don't think "bottle holders" is a useful feature at all for me (I chalk that up in the "unnecessary fluff" category), which outlines the real dilemma here.  Everyone wants something different, so you either get really lightweight packs with no fluff (that use light-enough materials and stitching to be rather fragile when snagged in the woods), or heavy options that try to be all things to all people, loaded with extra pockets, multiple zippered access panels, and other "features."

Which is why, years ago, I went with McHale.  Everything I wanted, nothing I didn't.  FWIW, a pack that'll hold ~45 lbs isn't $900 there.  Unless prices doubled recently you're looking at the super-hauler packs in that price range (100+ lb loads).  Mine was $450 and carries up to 75 lbs tolerably, 45 very easily.  Not cheap (a custom job rarely is), but not quite as pricey as you laid out.  That said, it doesn't seem to be in the price range the OP is looking for, so I digress...

ETA: Wolf0503 , yes, there are options for cheap.  If you really want an inexpensive pack along the quality of something like a Baltoro, likely your best options are to look for deals.  Scour SteepAndCheap.com, look for extra discounts and sales at Sierra Trading Post, and consider used gear (GearTrade, BPL's Gear Swap Forum and REI Garage Sales... get in line early!).  Someone else's lightly-used gear might be your ticket to a nice reasonably priced pack.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look on ebay. There is always a lot of good quality packs on there at good prices from people who have only used them once or not at all because they were going to do some big trip and either, never went on it or did it and now they are completely done with doing backpacking ever again. I've gotten a couple of packs on there at decent prices. My moto is: Never pay full price!
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, ULA packs are so cheaply made.... except for the fact that they aren't.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should tell you all the pack I have now I is a Westfield pack that I got as a 15 year gift at my old job. I couldn't find anything about the company until recently.
 Post Number: 11
RoonilWazlib Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you want something cheap and durable, you could always go for military surplus. The ILBE is great and can be found for under $60.

http://www.ebay.com/itm....5f001f8

Again, this pack weighs a lot, so you still have the same weight issue just not a money issue as much.
 Post Number: 12
krp234 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out Teton Sports backpacks on Amazon. My first pack was the 55 liter version and it was durable and surpisingly comfortable to wear. Almost everyone gives their packs good reviews. But of course the low prices mean they're going to weigh more than other packs.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ Apr. 16 2014, 11:37 am)
Why cannot somebody make a basic, simple, ~ 60 liter size pack, with bottle holders, which has bomber suspension, can carry a bear can and 35 pounds to start comfortably, will last longer than one long season fishing off trail, without breaking, and the pack itself doesn't weigh over 4 pounds? Why not use better materials and charge $100 more? This type pack philosophy would work for me.

That's pretty much been the dilemma for me, though I want a bit more than 60lt. 70-75 is ideal for me.

Packs have been increasingly "dumbed down" over the last decade. Suspensions are non-customizable, generally a fixed "fits all" frame, and increasingly makers are going to what amounts to a light external frame, with a body cleverly disguised as an internal.

What I want in a pack is twin, removeable, shapable stays set in a cushy suspension.
A simple great sack with twin daisy chains, built with fabric that won't come apart in a year.
No other access points but through the top.
One top lid.
Water bottle pockets that can actually be accessed while wearing the pack.
Sub 5lbs, and closer to 4 better.

Dat's it.

What I found this year at REI comes close, though I'd prefer a beefier hipbelt and no lower zip entry:

http://www.rei.com/product/862870/rei-yosemite-75-pack#specsTab

Mine arrived last night UPS. I took out the stays, got a good fit to my curvy back, put them back in an put 20lbs in the pack. Comfy. So far.

Will give it a work out this year...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 14
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Apr. 17 2014, 8:26 am)
Water bottle pockets that can actually be accessed while wearing the pack.

This is one of my pet peeves. I can get the bottles out while wearing the pack, but find it impossible to slip 'em back in while wearing the pack.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 15
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

tomas, the above bottle pockets actually work. You can get a bottle in and out with the pack on.

It's a VERY surprising pack to show up in the market, nearly totally unadorned with gimmicks, but with well-thought-out features and an actual suspension that can be fine-tuned ala "real packs" (removeable/shapable stays). And all at a reasonable price. I got mine 20% off and used my dividend (cost me $123).

I'm fairly certain it's made by osprey for REI. Go figure. It's better than anything Osprey puts their own name on if they actually are the maker.

Most makers have gotten away from single/twin removeable/shapable stays because training someone at a retail store to actually fit a person and to shape stays became a herculean task... as a result we see all manner of dumbed-down packs with non-removable stays. Mystery Ranch to Gregory, to Osprey... they've all gone that route.

I've noticed the latest trend is to what is essentially an external frame/internal hybrid. Really, if the internal frame isn't customizable, this latest trend is actually a good move.

But there are a few makers left that offer this most basic and essential of internal frame features... like McHale mentioned above.

Packs today cater to the UL crowd, but I'll gladly take a few extra lbs of "real suspension" that, at the end of the day, doesn't translate into more weight, but into more comfort.

Seems a lot don't get there are intelligent ounces to pare and not so intelligent ounces to pare.

Stripping down a packs suspension strikes me as a fool's errand. Sort of like the Breatharian Movement :D

I'd rather strip down the pack bag to its bare essentials than the suspension.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 16
theron Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 1:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I paid $75 for my High Sierra Bobcat 65 Ltr a couple years ago. I think it's a re-badged Kelty Trekker actually. These are external frames and I couldn't be happier with mine!

One of the great things about this kind of pack is that it can handle the weight of all the other low-cost gear that you'll want to put in it! :)
 Post Number: 17
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What do you consider cheap?  What price range are you looking at?

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
 Post Number: 18
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1. Consider used gear, geartrade or Craig's list are good places to start.

2. I agree, external frames are a great value. So is Rei's own label.

3.shop for sales. I bought my baltoro for around 200 a few years ago. And consider the long term value.

I worked an extra job to buy my first high end backpack, North Face Snow Leopard. Hard to put a price on how well it served its purpose for 15 years.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you all like Mountainsmith Packs?
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone???
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just gave away a Mountainsmith to someone. The frame was too long and the pack ridiculously overbuilt and heavy for the capacity.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never heard of an pack being over built being a problem.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When a 20 liter pack weighs 3 lbs, that is a problem! Huge waste of weight. I figured it would survive SAR - being thrown in and out of Jeeps and helicopters - but the stupid cheap zipper busted open and stuff went all over a hillside into the granite. Total waste of time.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 1:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wolf0503 @ Apr. 24 2014, 8:25 pm)
I've never heard of an pack being over built being a problem.

:)  it is when you have to carry the unnecessary weight you're not testing in any way, shape or form.

People overbuy due to the aspiration they've just GOT to buy the "best" to withstand anything and then use the thing to carry lunch across the park....

Over built means heavy and costly beyond what's necessary for the job at hand. But hey, as long as I'm not carrying it and I didn't pay for it: HYOH.
 Post Number: 25
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Apr. 17 2014, 10:11 am)
tomas, the above bottle pockets actually work. You can get a bottle in and out with the pack on.

That is cool. My daypack, a REI Traverse, requires me to take off the damn thing off to slide the bottle back into the sleeve. Maybe I just don't bend the right way.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suppose I can see that but I'm not backpacking to buy the most UL gear. I don't get crazy over ounces. Pounds maybe but not unless it's going effect the way I walk though the woods it's not matter.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wolf0503 @ Apr. 25 2014, 8:30 am)
I suppose I can see that but I'm not backpacking to buy the most UL gear. I don't get crazy over ounces. Pounds maybe but not unless it's going effect the way I walk though the woods it's not matter.

Well at times it is pounds. I've a simple Chouinard Creag Dubh daypack and a Mystery Ranch Snapdragon of relatively the same size  (~2000 for the CD, 2300 for the SD) and the MR is about double or more in weight.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am not ul. I am however able to bring things like fishing gear and yummy food on week long trips while never carrying more than 40 lbs and never sleeping uncomfortably, while finishing each day without sore hips. Ounces are pounds, and pounds add up. Nothing in my pack weighs more than two pounds except the water and food, and I make no sacrifices doing it - and the gear is plenty durable. Some of it gets used monthly, much of it is more than three years old, and I don't baby it.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2014, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I like a heavier pack because I bring all that too plus some. Oh well different strokes. Thanks for all of your replies. Gonna go with the Mountainsmith Lariat 65. Found it for $149. Love all the great  features (sleeping bag compartment, day pack included, U shaped bottom entry, and I even like the color-although it's not a henry ford color-any color as long as it's black). All for 4 lbs 13oz
 Post Number: 30
SocalHiker87 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2014, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wolf0503 @ Apr. 16 2014, 12:29 pm)
I don't want to save for years for a Baltoro yet I read the gear guide year after year  because I want good gear. I know good gear costs $$$$$$$ but I not paying $350 for a pack. That would be okay if I made it but I don't make that kinda dough. Is there any there any other option? Does this even exist.

Try used gear stores.  You can get qaulity gear that's still in excellent condition for half the price. Try out my company  oLo Gear Exchange.  The REI garage sale is another great way to get good gear.  Remember you get what you pay for.  You don't want your pack to ruin your trip because it's uncomfortable.

--------------
Buy and sell used outdoor gear!

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot
29 replies since Apr. 16 2014, 12:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Low cost 65 -75 pack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions