2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Back Up Stove, A Back Up For My JetBoil< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RandallW201 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 4:37 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a JetBoil and intend to use it as the primary cooking source. But I happened to think, if something was to happen to it and I'm not allowed to make a fire or needed a second burner, what would be a great backup stove to use?
I'm not looking for a $70+ stove.....

Thanks guys and gals!

--------------
I'm goin' backpackin' cause I ain't gettin' any younger!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Waste of weight.

Invest the time and effort into maintaining your stove and forget about it.
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^That

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OR, if you must, a tiny burner that is compatible with the jetboil gas canisters?

Like a Pocketrocket? (Have no idea if jetboil is proprietary or not)

At 3 ozs it's not totally rediculous....

http://m.rei.com/product....pecsTab
 Post Number: 5
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree. And since you're using a Jetboil I assume you are only heating water, not actual cooking, which means dehydrated food -- and you can rehydrate and eat dehydrated food cold. It takes longer to rehydrate, and it may not taste as good, but you'll survive just fine until the end of the trip.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 6
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was just going to mention the pocket rocket.  3 oz. and it will use the same canisters.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pocket Rocket or Snow Peak Gigapower.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 8
RandallW201 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually I was planning on getting the JetBoil burner attachment for pots and using it to cook on as well. Dehydrated meals will make up a good portion of the food but not all.

So these "pocket rockets" are pretty good huh? I was looking at that one as it seems like a good fit but wasn't entirely sure.
That Gigapower looks pretty nifty too.

--------------
I'm goin' backpackin' cause I ain't gettin' any younger!
 Post Number: 9
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pocket rocket or if you insist on keeping the jet boil and have To have a back up for some reason just go cat can stove for back up...  Personally id didtch  the jetboil to the closet and am learning to cook more efficiently with alcohol stoves...  So Mich lighter
 Post Number: 10
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Omg I'm never posting from my phone again...
 Post Number: 11
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Giga is a great stove.  Litemax is even smaller, and is supposedly very nice.  I have never used a Jetboil, so this may be a dumb question, but will the Jetboil pot fit on these other burners?  Most canister stoves are virtually bombproof, so I don't think bringing a backup makes that much sense.
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 18 2014, 4:56 pm)
Waste of weight.

Invest the time and effort into maintaining your stove and forget about it.

I agree. If you don't trust your Jetboil then you got the wrong stove. I've trusted my MSR pocket rocket and now my Snowpeak Gigapower. Plus I trust my MSR Whisperlite even after 20 + years of using it. Why because I maintain them and plus the Pocketrocket and the Gigapower are simple and not much can go wrong with them.
 Post Number: 13
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just love my jetboil! You probably know this, but in case you don't, and because I found out the hard way: The ignitor thingy does NOT work at 12,000'. I tested mine that morning and it was fine. That night it refused to light. Who knows what elevation it stops at. Anyway, I had emergency matches and was able to light it. Just wanted to give you (or anyone else) the heads up.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 14
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having lent my Snow Peak Giga to many wistful Jetboilers suffering on a freezing morning from "failure to boil anything",  you can guess which stove I recommend leaving at home...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 15
krp234 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few weeks ago my Jetboil malfunctioned. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but it appears to be shooting the flame out at an angle and melted the igniter button and the handle. I've still used it a couple times since, using a lighter to ignite it. I'm going to try to exchange it an REI when I pass through St. Louis in a couple weeks. I'm still a big fan of the Jetboil though and hope this was a rare occurrence.

I don't think I would want to bring a backup stove. If it was a real emergency, I would just start a fire.
 Post Number: 16
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Snowpeak Gigapower has always been more stable than the pocket rocket for me. Similar weight.
 Post Number: 17
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think bringing a backup stove is an awful idea at all; esp if you have a  couple of people. Why? Things happen.

Last year I saw someone drop a small can of fuel and it fell down between a bunch of rocks; I mean, a BUNCH of rocks. 25 minutes later, with use of trekking poles, 3 people, cord, and just about anything else we could imagine to try, we were able to retrieve it. But we very easily could have NOT been able to. We couldn't even safely just dig rocks out, as it was on the side of a rockslide, so moving too many rocks was pretty sketchy.

The simplest things can happen. It's not always as easy as "bring a repair kit and keep your gear in shape'.

I've had pretty good luck with Jetboils over the years, but the igniter I basically discount when it comes out of the box, and bring a lighter/matches. Always.

Gigapowers and PocketRockets are great, but I've had FAR more situations where the jetboil had to boil water or cook for the pocketrocket/gigapower than the other way around. Particularly in wind.

In a pinch a pot can ALWAYS fit a stove. :)

All that said, I rarely bring an "extra" stove, but I do bring enough stoves for a group of people that if 1 breakdown, we're not out of stoves.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 18
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Kovea Ti type fits in the Jetboil.
Mine is the original version but the current Supalite (56g ?) looks the same.
Fold in the secon section of the arms , spread two out fully and one just a bit , insert past the first ring of the Jetboil base then spread the other arm out and push them inbetween the fins.

I just thought of this but gave it a quick test, works well .
Also available as Snow Peak Lite Max
 Post Number: 19
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Conversely, I've cooked on an alcohol stove when the wind blew out the Jetboil.

Still can't convince me any stove is any more special than any other. They all have flames, and they all boil water. I refuse to bother with something so complicated that it can't be bent back into functionality.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 20
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another vote for no backup stove.
 Post Number: 21
Ricksterz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't believe you need a backup stove for the Jetboil. I used the original for years without major problems until I upgraded to the Jetboil Sol Titanium for its lighter weight. I do real cooking on it with the frypan and the standard cooking pot

Do bring a lighter and/or matches in case the piezo ignitor fails.

If you really want a backup stove (which I don't think you need), get one that's compatible with the Lyndal valve on your gas cannisters. I'm not a fan of the MSR Pocket Rocket (a.k.a. blowtorch) due to its tiny, concentrated flame which would not make good use of the fuel-saving Jetboil flux rings. The Snow Peak GigaPower is a stove better suited to Jetboil cooking.

Please ignore the recommendation for a Cat alcohol stove as backup. That would require that you carry not only a backup stove, but different fuel as a backup.

--------------
Ricksterz
 Post Number: 22
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ricksterz @ Apr. 18 2014, 8:03 pm)
Please ignore the recommendation for a Cat alcohol stove as backup. That would require that you carry not only a backup stove, but different fuel as a backup.

Considering my Whitebox stove weighs 1 ounce and the fuel is stored in an Evian bottle...it would in essence weigh less than carrying many "backup" stoves alone. A Jetboil weighs 14 oz. right?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 23
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the OP was talking about when you can't use an open flame.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 24
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Apr. 18 2014, 8:04 pm)
The Snowpeak Gigapower has always been more stable than the pocket rocket for me. Similar weight.

That's why I switched over to the Snowpeak Gigapower. 3 pot supports are just too flimsy.
 Post Number: 25
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm another who considers a backup stove as unnecessary weight.  But, if you have to have one, I suggest the Gigapower Litemax.  It's my primary stove.  Weighs just a couple of ounces and works great.
 Post Number: 26
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would only consider taking a back-up if solo on a relatively long hike.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 27
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A backup stove? Do I need to start carrying a backup tent, sleeping bag also?

You know, this two is one and one is none BS needs to go away. If something fails in the backcountry (and it will) just deal with it.
 Post Number: 28
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 18 2014, 8:15 pm)
Another vote for no backup stove.

This.  I don't see the point.  I realize "things can happen", but eating cold food for a day or few in the unlikely scenario that my stove in unusable is hardly an emergency situation.  I don't see it being worth the weight at all.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 29
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Apr. 19 2014, 8:31 am)

You know, this two is one and one is none BS needs to go away. If something fails in the backcountry (and it will) just deal with it.

Funny you say that. I bring a Bivy in winter for exactly that reason - a backup shelter in case my main shelter gets torn apart from a a storm. It does double duty keeping the spindrift off as well. Mind you, between my 5 man and my Bivy, I'm still at 4.25 lbs.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 30
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Apr. 19 2014, 11:31 am)

Can I bring a backup wife too?

Unless talking about long-term, severe winter camping, this thread's premise: (Should I bring a spare anything?)  is laughable.

Why?

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
70 replies since Apr. 18 2014, 4:37 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Back Up Stove
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions