2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gear Urge - REI Quarterdome T1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevperro Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 1:19 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went to REI for a map and left with a tent.

Quarter Dome T1

When I first saw it I didn't like it at all.    It is a tent that has to be staked out to appreciate.   No doubt it requires a few more stakes, isn't a true free standing design but the more I looked, the more I found to like.

*Weight- My scale  

Poles:  9.3 oz.
Fly:  10.5 oz.
Body: 15 oz.

Throw away the stakes and guy lines.   I'll carry four groundhogs, four titanium shepard hooks and use a small extra silnylon stuff sack I already own.   Total carry weight 37oz.  

Price:   $219 minus the 20% REI discount (plus tax)

Space:   Nearly the same as my Copper Spur UL1 once staked out.   Not as much foot room even with stakes but not what I consider a deal breaker.  

Design:  A really funky asymmetrical layout.    I didn't like it at first.   It is more complicated (non-intuitive) to erect but nothing that a couple practice events doesn't cure.   It is a creative bit of work in that the walls are very steep with minimal pole, at the expense of needing a couple stake points to maintain shape.   The stakes are not critical to the structure.  If you lose one at night the tent might get a little more floppy but you probably won't notice until morning (my unofficial definition of non-critical).    

Materials:  15D fly, body and 30D floor.  The latest flavor DAC super light pole.   The solid 15D material goes fairly high up the body, like the Copper Spur which I find nice as it cuts down on drafts across your body and sand/dust blowing, depending on your environment.  

Only time will tell how this marriage goes.   The positive is I'll probably not feel the need to carry a ground cloth due to the investment involved (or lack thereof).   Weight wise....there are not a lot of double wall tents that get much lighter without doing serious damage to the wallet (cuben).

--------------
“He is a self-made man, very much in love with his creator.”

Benjamin Disraeli
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Superficially at least I don't see that in place of the UL1. A bit more weight, at 14 sq ft versus 22 a lot smaller, less freestanding, equal peak height at least, a smaller vestibule (6.2 sq. ft v. 10), and it's 9 inches shorter....

So already having the UL1 why did you choose this one?

http://www.rei.com/product/761891/rei-quarter-dome-t1-tent#specsTab

http://www.rei.com/product....pecsTab

A cost competitive alternative were a choice being made, but apparently you already had the Copper Spur....
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw it last weekend setup and it's pretty darn cute.  For that price, I'd be tempted if I were in the market for a poled solo tent.

HSF, you're looking at the OLD Quarter Dome specs.  New design (by spec) is 2lb 2oz, 21.4 sq ft, 35 inch peak. $219 vs $370 for the Copper Spur.

http://www.rei.com/product/862421/rei-quarter-dome-1-tent#specsTab

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking at the REI Quarter Dome T1 Tent Specs specs and Kevperro said the "Quarter Dome T1" is what he purchased...
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is the newer Quarder dome.    It is not that far off in size actually.   Don't get me wrong... if you are a big guy the Copper Spur has more space.   Packed size (of the QD) is much smaller too.    About a 1/3rd less volume than my CS.  

The only reason is to try and drop weight.   My OLDER version Copper Spur is 45oz carry weight.   This saves me eight ounces without much of a sacrifice in living space or protection.    With the sale of my older Copper Spur I pay very little out of pocket and my base weight drops half a pound.  

Plus... I get to try another flavor.   You got to taste them all you know.

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a good reason for the Quarter Dome T1 to be unavailable/discontinued.
 Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 06 2014, 2:03 pm)
Sounds like a good reason for the Quarter Dome T1 to be unavailable/discontinued.

I think I saw them for pretty cheap at the Outlet.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My go to solo tent will always be the Fly Creek UL2 (expensive, but it's light and roomy).
Fly Creek UL2
The "seedhouse" is also available at much less cost, especially if you go with the solo instead of a two man.
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an older REI Quarter Dome 1 and have really been pleased with it. Fairly light, easy to set up (once you know how) and very dependable and weather proof. I actually picked it up through these board for $100 from someone who no longer needed it. It's been on a lot of backpack trips and an extended six week bicycle tour where it preformed great.  For it's cost, it's a great tent but I pretty much feel that way about most of REI's tents.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ May 06 2014, 10:25 pm)
I have an older REI Quarter Dome 1 and have really been pleased with it. Fairly light, easy to set up (once you know how) and very dependable and weather proof. I actually picked it up through these board for $100 from someone who no longer needed it. It's been on a lot of backpack trips and an extended six week bicycle tour where it preformed great.  For it's cost, it's a great tent but I pretty much feel that way about most of REI's tents.

They have really picked up their game as of late too.   The new Quarter dome 2 is a nice design also.

I'll take some pictures at some point.   I'm doing the Wonderland in September and some other shorter hikes once the snow melts a little more.

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 11
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a Q Dome 2 plus when they were on sale a few months ago.  I have been downsizing everything for our family of 4 and we now have it to a Half Dome 2 plus and this Q Dome 2 Plus (I'm 6'4") and need the length.  I have not been wet and they don't get bad condensation so they were a good buy for us.
 Post Number: 12
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Condensation is more about the conditions you are in than the tent design - I've had it on an open tarp. Sometimes it's unavoidable. Knowing that prevents unnecessary tent returns - last REI gear sale that was the reason on a number of the tent tags...

I have to wonder who really makes REI branded tents - I suspect Kelty. They are a decent compromise for the casual backpacker.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The trick with condensation isn't eliminating it, it is avoiding it.  

Having condensation drip on me at night and wet my bag by brushing against tent surfaces is the only reason I still use a double wall tent.   That and maybe a touch more warmth trapped (which exasperates condensation).

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 14
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The trick with condensation isn't eliminating it, it is avoiding it.

This is true for me at least. Living on the east coast, you can't avoid it. Even sleeping with no rain fly on, I'll get condensation. If that's not enough ventilation, I guess I need to pack in a box fan.
 Post Number: 15
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://tinyurl.com/mjazneo

Condensation explained.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ May 07 2014, 11:15 pm)
http://tinyurl.com/mjazneo

Condensation explained.

That is a great video.

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some pictures.  

End view with fly.

Inside view from top.

The tricky inner design to make vertical walls.

Top pole design.

Foot room:

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 18
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is a great looking tent. It should give you years of service. Congratulations.
 Post Number: 19
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only a couple of things I worry about on my Quarterdome T1 solo is that plastic connecting hinge at the top for the poles. Seems like it could break for any number of reasons and then you'd be screwed. The other thing that sort of bothers me is that on the backside (non door side, that is) there is a pretty large area that is covered by the fly, sort of a vestibule if you will.  Problem is, there is no access to it from the inside of the tent.  You could put a fair amount of gear there sheltered from the elements and still can, but you have to go outside the tent to get to it. Even a small zippered window would give you access to it and would be a real improvement.  I suppose they are saving weight and production costs by not having it, but it would be nice.  Still I really do like the tent.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2014, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ May 11 2014, 12:03 am)
Only a couple of things I worry about on my Quarterdome T1 solo is that plastic connecting hinge at the top for the poles. Seems like it could break for any number of reasons and then you'd be screwed. The other thing that sort of bothers me is that on the backside (non door side, that is) there is a pretty large area that is covered by the fly, sort of a vestibule if you will.  Problem is, there is no access to it from the inside of the tent.  You could put a fair amount of gear there sheltered from the elements and still can, but you have to go outside the tent to get to it. Even a small zippered window would give you access to it and would be a real improvement.  I suppose they are saving weight and production costs by not having it, but it would be nice.  Still I really do like the tent.

The new one doesn't have a plastic hinge.   It does have a tab that the body of the tent connects to.   If it broke you could just tie a piece of rope/twine around it and over the pole and accomplish the same thing.  

I had one of those vestibules with the zipper door on my Copper Spur.   I never used it because the tent was big enough to easily store all my gear inside.   This one isn't as big inside contrary to the stated dimensions so maybe I'll miss it.   I won't know until I spend some time in it.    

With the REI sale this puppy is $159 right now!

--------------

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 21
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2014, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a decent tent.  We bought one for our son a couple of years ago for a trip he took into the Mono Divide country and southerly from there to Road's End in Kings Canyon.  He had no problems with it, likes it actually, uses it all the time.  We paid a lot more money for it then; cheaper is always better.

Drake
20 replies since May 06 2014, 1:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gear Urge - REI Quarterdome T1
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions