2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mountain Hardware Hammerhead2 or Alps Zephyr2?, Better tent< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
StokedMD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

I've gone through all the reviews, but still can't make up my mind whether to buy Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 2 or Alps Zenith 2? I l live in the tropics, and although weight is important, water proofing takes top priority. Also, which of the two is more packable?

Lastly, Can anyone give me some advice if the Stoic Templum is okay? I think I want to further complicate my selection process.

Thanks,

Hans
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't help you with the comparison, but I own a Zephyr 2 and I think it's a very good tent for the money--I've had no complaints with it. It's been in hailstorms, etc and stood up perfectly.

However, it's not a very long tent. I am 5-11 and I think I'm pretty close the the maximum height that would be comfortable in this tent. So, if you're taller than that, I'd look at the other model.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you!

I'm 5'6 so I guess it would fit me perfectly. How has it been through torrential rainstorms?

Geez, I never though choosing a tent could be so hard. haha
 Post Number: 4
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stoke why are you looking at the Hammerhead? That's a pretty burly and beefy tent. It's nice, but it sure is heavy. IMO the Skyledge 2 is a much better backpacking tent.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Currently what is offered for sale at my local gear shop is the Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead2, North Face Flint 2, North Face Topaz 2, Stoic Arx 2, and Alps Zenith 2.

Based on reviews, I pretty much narrow it down to Hammerhead and Zenith 2, although will greatly appreciate any advice regarding any of the choices available above. Lightweight would be nice, but primary consideration is "waterproofness"

Also, I have been looking at the North Face Flint and Topaz, it says 5000mm PU coating for the floor, while Hammerhead has 3000mm. Will this make a difference in torrential rains, or does this only make a difference with regards to the longevity of the waterproofing?
 Post Number: 6
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hhmmm .. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that not all PU coatings are made the same .. so it's not as simple as " is 5000m PU coating more waterproof than 3000mm PU coating".

I can't imagine the Hammerhead having too many issues with waterproofness, it's a good tent.

I doubt any of them will be more or less waterproof out of the box the biggest issue, imo, is wear and tear don't leave it up in the sun.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the reply Walkinman. I've read the reviews, and so far weight is the only complaint about it. However, I could probably do well with its weight if its packable. Currently, I am using an unbranded tent with a built in groundsheet for flooring (like most low end tents), and I am obliged to roll it all the time, which makes packing a pain. I wondering if I can stuff the Hammerhead, during my travels, and just roll or fold it for storage.

Now that I have checked the North Face Flint 2, this doubly adds to my confusion.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If anyone here has any experience with these tents (Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead2, North Face Flint 2, North Face Topaz 2, Stoic Arx 2, and Alps Zenith 2) I could use the advice.

Also, can anyone clarify if the 3000mm PU coating vs 5000mm PU coating means better "waterproofness" or if this only factors in with regards to the "longevity" of waterproofing.

Thanks!
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it keeps the water out...it keeps the water out. Although it may affect the longevity a little, it won't affect it much. PU coatings wear out with age and when they go...they go fast.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 10
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Hammerhead 2, older version if there is such a thing, and it has been freaking bombproof!
Heavy, but we have split the weight on short trips. We have lighter versions now but still love our Hammerhead. :)

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 11
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Zenith (same as the Zephyr) is definitely better for backpacking than the Hammerhead, no question about it. The Hammerhead's weight takes it out of the backpacking class by most people's standards. Plus it's way more expensive than the Zenith.

I own the Alps Zephyr 2 and really like it. It has excellent ventilation and is unusually easy to enter due to the fly configuration and huge doors. It packs very small. There are tons of reviews of this tent, almost no negative ones, and many confirm that it holds up in the rain. People love this tent. It's the best deal in backpacking: the most tent for the least money.

The Zephyr's coatings on the fly and floor are pretty standard for decent tents made in North America.
 Post Number: 12
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2014, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ May 09 2014, 8:29 pm)
The Zenith (same as the Zephyr) is definitely better for backpacking than the Hammerhead, no question about it. The Hammerhead's weight takes it out of the backpacking class by most people's standards. Plus it's way more expensive than the Zenith.

I own the Alps Zephyr 2 and really like it. It has excellent ventilation and is unusually easy to enter due to the fly configuration and huge doors. It packs very small. There are tons of reviews of this tent, almost no negative ones, and many confirm that it holds up in the rain. People love this tent. It's the best deal in backpacking: the most tent for the least money.

The Zephyr's coatings on the fly and floor are pretty standard for decent tents made in North America.

Your opinion doesn't apply to everyone. I would actually lean more toward the Hammerhead. If I have to choose weight for storm protection, I'll choose weight.

That said, I'm not concerned about rain. I'm more concerned about wind and snow. A tarp can hold up to the rain. Each shelter has it's positives and negatives.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 5:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the comment guys. Does anyone have experience with the North Face Topaz and Flint 2, as well as the Stoic Arx?
 Post Number: 14
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 5:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Set them all up at the local gear shop and get what you like best. Don't over-think this.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. Anyway, I have made the purchase, and I went along with the Hammerhead, while my friend chose the Zephyr.

I noticed that most of the seams are taped, however, the seams along the zipper track don't seem to be. Would it be necessary to seam seal this?
 Post Number: 16
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would not hesitate to use McNett's Seamgrip to seal any seam you see fit. I always put seam sealer on all guyouts inside and out, corners, etc. to help with any stresses and ensure a "bombproof" tent.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks! that is what im planning to do. However, the brands I see here are mainly Coleman, and possible Coghlans, so I might have to make do with that.
 Post Number: 18
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ May 09 2014, 3:43 pm)
IMO the Skyledge 2 is a much better backpacking tent.

I see the OP has already made a purchase, but figured I'd chime in anyways.

The Skyledge 2.1 has been a great backpacking tent for me; although I'll admit I have some sentimental affections for it as well as appreciating its technical attributes.

I've owned one for 5 years and have been incredibly pleased with it. I got it for 30% off at a local gear shop (that I later worked at, but that's another story) very early in my backpacking days . . . it was one of the first nice pieces of gear I ever bought.

I've used it in all types of weather in the Southeastern US -- snow, sleet, wind, rain, heat -- and have always found it to perform well. I've noticed no real deterioration in condition over the years and I've easily put 100+ nights in the tent.

It's a bit cramped for two; I bought it in college when I was dating a lady who was as excited about backpacking as I was. I suppose you might say I bought a tent to "impress" a lady . . . oh to be young and nave with a tiny bit of disposable income. I guess it worked, as we enjoyed many nights in the tent together while exploring the Cumberland Plateau, but parted ways after a few years.

I used it as a solo tent for a while before experimenting with tarps and eventually settling on an MSR Hubba as my go-to solo shelter.

I later used it for a few dozen nights of backpacking and car camping, in between staying at a friend's cabin, on a trip with a friend through the Southeast in November and December of 2012.

It's reasonably light enough to use as a solo tent and spacious with one person plus gear. I loan it out to my friend who backpacks with me since he doesn't have a tent, but I haven't slept in it for awhile.

Great tent, great memories.

Cheers to the Skyledge!

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the post. Okay, so you bought a tent to impress a lady. That actually sounds a lot better. I bought a North Face Mountain Light Jacket to impress a lady back in freshman college (I'm not kidding). Didn't turn out well though. Anyway, I was actually looking at different models of tents, but had to settle for the brands and models mentioned above, as these were the ones available and on sale. Will get the chance to test it soon though, as well as my friend's Alps Zephyr.

Right now, being the obsessive-compulsive backpacker I am, I'm considering adding seam sealing and Nikwax solar proof to the tent. I know these are factory taped, but back in the 1990's we were pretty much trained to seam seal, even if the manufacturer said we didnt need to, although this would be the first time I would be using the Nikwax solarproof, if any of you guys recommend it. I don't buy into the latest fashion, so I usually use the same gear for a long time, which merits some investment and time in taking care of it.
 Post Number: 20
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ May 10 2014, 12:10 am)

The Zenith (same as the Zephyr) is definitely better for backpacking than the Hammerhead, no question about it. .

Your opinion doesn't apply to everyone. I would actually lean more toward the Hammerhead. If I have to choose weight for storm protection, I'll choose weight.

EDIT:
The Zenith is definitely better than the Hammerhead for any backpacker who cares about weight, no question about it.
 Post Number: 21
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ May 13 2014, 6:03 pm)

(Tigger @ May 10 2014, 12:10 am)

The Zenith (same as the Zephyr) is definitely better for backpacking than the Hammerhead, no question about it. .

EDIT:
The Zenith is definitely better than the Hammerhead for any backpacker who cares about weight, no question about it.

EDIT:
The Zenith is definitely better than the Hammerhead for any backpacker who ONLY cares about weight, no question about it.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2014, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No worries about weight. I used to carry those old Colemans back in the 90' due to lack of funds when I was in college. Heavy and not easy to pack as well. This is actually an improvement. Will get to test it at the beach first then in the mountains this coming June and onwards. Haven't really been out since 2003.

Will also check my friends Alps Zephyr for a lightweight, weatherproof, and economical choice for much longer hikes in good weather.
 Post Number: 23
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2014, 4:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have and like my Zephyr 2, but its pretty heavy and more importantly I wouldnt call it a two person tent. So if you really need to fit two full sized adults look elsewhere. For one and gear, or dog, or small child, its fine but maybe overkill for just one. I finally decided to spend a bit more and got a H.S. Tarptent Notch for just myself and the lighter weight and smaller packing size is amazing compared to the Alps, and so much easier and faster to setup.

--------------
???   Shoes optional :cool:
22 replies since May 09 2014, 12:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mountain Hardware Hammerhead2 or Alps Zephyr2?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions