2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Doing a school project … need your help!, User-Innovation | Trip Planning< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
lorien11 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2014, 9:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello, hello ...

I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm a grad student at University of Washington in Seattle and am taking a course on community innovation. My topic domain is lightweight/ultralight backpacking.

My challenge is to identify 'pack-lite' solution(s) developed by user-innovators (not retailers) in backpacking that may be used by traditional and lightweight wilderness backpackers to reduce pack volume and weight.

I would love your input! I’ve designed two very brief surveys, the first on trip planning and research (6 questions), and the second on user-innovation and DIY problem solving (9 questions). Fill out one or both. Fill out however many questions you want. Anything and everything helps! I'll be sharing results in a few weeks when I’ve gathered responses.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Trip_Planning
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/User-Innovation

I am trying to make the jump from traditional to lightweight backpacking myself for an upcoming trip this summer, so any insights will be doubly helpful!

Thank you so much!
Lorien
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2014, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did the best I could with the questions given. Good luck.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2014, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Done.  Hope it helps.  Good luck with your project.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2014, 5:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Taken.  While normal retail stores are less effective in the pursuit of UL gear, the cottage industry guys are excelling.  Finding folks who will make your sleep system for you, with your input, is so easy.  Years ago, I had a custom pack made, not UL, then went another direction when I needed to lighten my load.  Another cottage company got my business.  A sleeping pad is about the only place where normal manufacturing, represented by retail, gets any of my business.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Done.  Good luck with your project.

Drake
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know what would be nice? Pave the way for the next person to come though with this sort of project by letting us see the results when you're done?
 Post Number: 7
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2014, 5:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

To the OP: There are some web sites that look like they offer some of the functionality you seem to be looking for, like gear grams and prep-a-trip. Prep-a-trip is a pretty well-though-out site for planning for food, car pools, maps (with elevation profiles), gear lists...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
6 replies since Jun. 01 2014, 9:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Doing a school project … need your help!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions