2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: air mattresses, insulated and quiet!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 9:23 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it just me or did my message not show up?

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, it wasn't just you. That one is a bit confusing.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It did not show. It was listed in the topic list but clicking it just hung.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Must be the "new" software...  :laugh:

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 5
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lol, well anyway, I have a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core but it has a slow leak which I've tried to repair to no avail - and I'm way past the year return policy at REI.

Tempted to try a pad with the horizontal baffles.  Also like that the Thermarest Neo-airs are lightweight, but they also seem to be noisy.  I tend to toss and turn a lot.

Anyway, I was just looking for suggestions...

--------------
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Neo-Air was noisy when I over filled it, but since I have learned not to do that, it has been quieter.  Not crinkle free, but nearly so.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Call or email Big Agnes directly, see what they can do.  Let them know you're a ranger (just drop the hint).  In my experience many companies will go out of their way to please folks in prominent positions, especially those who interact with or influence other people in some way.

Worst they can do is say "nothing we can do."  But it doesn't hurt to try.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Agnes replaced a Q Core that had the same issue for me. I had it for a year. I'm not a ranger.

My original NeoAir was less noisy than many a BA IAC. The latest ones, the Xlites, are not so quiet.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 9
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you go the NeoAir route, Sierra Trading Post has one that Thermarest makes just for them for $99.00.  If you get the coupons from them one can be had for $65.00ish....

Thermarest

I'd give you a review, but I have to wait until my birthday!

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 10
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BA offers a lifetime warranty. I'm sure they'll fix it for you.
Especially if you tried to repair it yourself first.
Not sure if they'll charge a small fee or not, just depends on how the view the damage.
 Post Number: 11
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the NeoAir All Season. Its not at all noisy that I've ever noticed. Though technically not insulated, its appreciably warmer than the insulated POE Max Thermo mattress (very similar to the BA insulated air core) it replaced.
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just purchased the Neoair XLite. Although it crinkled while I blew it up, I didn't notice it making any noise during the night.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 13
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2014, 12:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After two BA pads failing during the middle of a trip, I say no more... my two cents.

As for now, my REI Flash is insulated and much quieter. Stays inflated too...

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 14
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2014, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i sleep pretty cozy on my exped UL7. it's not horizontal baffles but doesn't have the crinkle noise.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 15
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Jun. 11 2014, 10:52 am)
i sleep pretty cozy on my exped UL7. it's not horizontal baffles but doesn't have the crinkle noise.

This.

Whatever you do stay away from the BA Q-core if you want quiet.
 Post Number: 16
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

REI has told me that they will "do right by customers" even if you're past the one-year deadline.
 Post Number: 17
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2014, 2:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So now "Excessive Crinkly Noise"  is a complaint against particular air mattresses...Ooh...Maybe I'm old school, but I think some of you more-sensitive backpackers should start drinking some Everclear cocktails before retiring to your sleeping systems...you'll never notice the Crinkly Noise...
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2014, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tend not to be bothered by the noise the air mattress makes. But if I fall off it when I twitch a finger, it's too narrow and needs to go to someone who sleeps like a corpse.

I'm still using an original NeoAir, and there have been many, many complaints about it. Still have no idea what that's about since mine doesn't really make noise.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 19
wendel Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2014, 5:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have the aerobed air mattress from costco (they are going on sale now for a lil over $100):
http://www.costco.com/AeroBed....76.html

my kids love this thing - it becomes their jumping playground as soon as we get it set up.  Here's my quick review:
pros:
-comfortable
-not too noisy
-pumps up in minutes
-doesn't really lose air pressure within 24 hours

cons:
-HEAVY (if you are hiking miles to your camp site, forget about it)
-requires power inverter if your car doesn't have ac power plug
 Post Number: 20
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2014, 7:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not having time to send the pad to BA before my trip, I went to REI and literally laid on every air mattress they had testing them out.  To be clear, I don't care how much noise I make, I wear ear plugs.  But I don't want tent mates or campsite mates to be kept up if I'm tossing and turning.

Bought a Q-Core SL - expensive, but it was the least noisy one, and it was quite comfortable, and very lightweight, but they didn't have the regular sized one and I bought the short one thinking it would be okay - I'm 5'4" and it's supposed to be 5'6", but really I didn't have an inch to spare and kept having to scootch up or down to stay on it.  So I took it back.

So I'm back to square one...

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2014, 7:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Jun. 10 2014, 4:52 pm)
If you go the NeoAir route, Sierra Trading Post has one that Thermarest makes just for them for $99.00.  If you get the coupons from them one can be had for $65.00ish....

Thermarest

I'd give you a review, but I have to wait until my birthday!

This seems pretty damn comfortable and not very noisy.   I'll have it out in the Daks next week, so I can give a better report later.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
21 replies since Jun. 09 2014, 5:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply air mattresses
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions