2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: MBA Student Seeking Input, MBA Student Seeking Input< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MBAStudent7 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 10:49 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello everyone. I'm an MBA student, long distance hiker. I would really appreciate some input regarding a project my team and I are working on. It's a portable atmospheric water generator that actually works.

If you're a long distance hiker or could stand to benefit from this product, please address the questions at the bottom.

Note:  We are aware there are other similar products on the market. However, ours would improve on existing technology and be more affordable.

Q: As a hiking enthusiast, do you see any value in owning a portable atmospheric water generator?

Q: If we can offer you an affordable, portable atmospheric water generator, would you consider purchasing one for
for future hikes?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Entirely would depend on it's rate of production. A pint an hour while I walk along and maybe.... Better if it was a liter per hour.

And that would be the rate at high elevation dry mountain air rather than wet lowlands where surface streams are plentiful.

But in genersl if I could have drinking water "appear" in my container as I walk along a trail that would be attractive. The stuff weighs 2 pounds the quart after all. If I could reliably get water without having to start with a full interval supply that would be pounds off my back. Interesting thought. But dry air production would be the key.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh and this might be something cyclists would be interested in? Bike types love to lose grams so a while-riding water source that saves them ounces to pounds would be attractive.

And the "wind" input would be higher and more reliable since the bike moves through the air anyway if that helps water production..,,
 Post Number: 4
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 14 2014, 11:16 am)
Entirely would depend on it's rate of production. A pint an hour while I walk along and maybe.... Better if it was a liter per hour.

And that would be the rate at high elevation dry mountain air rather than wet lowlands where surface streams are plentiful.

But in genersl if I could have drinking water "appear" in my container as I walk along a trail that would be attractive. The stuff weighs 2 pounds the quart after all. If I could reliably get water without having to start with a full interval supply that would be pounds off my back. Interesting thought. But dry air production would be the key.

Pretty much what HSF said.

I hike mostly where water is somewhat plentiful. Therefore, lightweight/ dependable options like the Steripen yield an excellent ROI.  

I don't know if I'd want to depend on atmospheric conditions for my water source. Hotter days would yield more water, right?

So, to answer your questions...

Yes, I see potential value. Just not sure how much "value" it will yield.

If its around 50- 200 dollars and can produce enough water reliably to be a single- source... then sure I'd consider it.

GOOD LUCK!

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If this thing's dependent on direct sunlight, then you have a problem.  I can see it working better for road cyclists than for backpackers.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a lot of water because I sweat a LOT.
Would this thing produce ˝L or more an hour?
How much would it produce above timberline (10,000'+) with a humidity level of maybe 15% or less?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jun. 14 2014, 5:54 pm)
How much would it produce above timberline (10,000'+) with a humidity level of maybe 15% or less?

How much would it produce in the green tunnels we call trails in the South?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2014, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 14 2014, 5:25 pm)

(Montanalonewolf @ Jun. 14 2014, 5:54 pm)

How much would it produce in the green tunnels we call trails in the South?

Been there, worked there, hiked and backpacked there.

Just drink the air. It's wet enough already....

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2014, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would use something other than the pump handle from a Hiker water filter for a "wind tunnel"....

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
8 replies since Jun. 14 2014, 10:49 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply MBA Student Seeking Input
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions