2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 4512345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What is everyone reading???< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 11:01 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not looking for recommendations, I'm just nosey. Smiler Don't just give me the title and author either! I want to know what the book is about! Big Grin

I just finished The Last American Man (see my review in the book forum) and just started Micalangelo and the Pope's Ceiling, which so far is really good... Italian history, art, politics... Good stuff. Smiler

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
cat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Julia Alvarez' Saving the World,
a novel within a novel from present day Dominican Republic conflict to 1800 Spanish mission to take smallpox vaccine around the world.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished Neruda's Cien sonetos de amor and a reread of The Divine Comedy for exercise.

Started Women's Work, The First 20,000 Years by Elizabeth Wayland Barber last night. It was suggested by the owner of my local spinning shop. It's too easy and has pictures. Very relaxing. Smiler

The subtitle is "Women, Cloth, and Society in Early Times". Written by a textile expert specializing in prehistoric textiles, it explores her accumulated research into womens economic control of textile manufacture pre-industrial revolution.
 Post Number: 4
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marley and Me
 Post Number: 5
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Lorax:
Marley and Me

Oh!! That one looks good! It is on my want-to-read list. Smiler

note: I counted recently and my want-to-read list is over 400 books long. Eeker LOL.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
BoomerHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

E.V. Rieu's translation of Homer's Odyssey.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with "The Simpsons" or minivans... Wink

I'm also looking to score some Mickey Spillane. Anybody got any recommendations for starters?

--------------
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
 Post Number: 7
dmwinch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just started reading Fear by L Ron Hubbard. From what I can tell the main characted losses four hours out of one day, and I guess bad things happen. Just a few pages in, so I don't have any opinions yet.

--------------
The sun is shining, it must be August.
 Post Number: 8
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, last night I finished Catfantastic III, a series of short stories edited by Andre Norton and Martin Greenberg. I love short stories. I can skip over the boring ones and keep going. I am also reading the second book in a two book series by Naomi Kritzer called Turning the Storm. The main character in the book is a woman musician who is caught up in leading an army to free citizens of the empire forced to build a wall bordering the next country over. Also, the old religion (which reads much like christianity, by the by) is coming back and the new order doesn't like it, of course.
I am also running thru a pile of trail books, including one on trails along I-90, Olympic Mountains and a PCT data book.
 Post Number: 9
RamblinMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right now I'm reading these titles:

* Twilight in the Desert by Matthew Simmons; it's about the Saudi oil industry and it's effect in the world economy given outside estimates of the falling output their superfields.

* American Gospel by Jon Meacham; it's about the place God and religion playing in the creation of this nation, up through the current era.

Just starting The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil; not entirely sure what it's about at this point, just that it appears to be a look forward into the future of mankind and the ever increasing role of technology in it (biological systems, genetics, etc). Looks to be an interesting read at this point! Smiler
 Post Number: 10
Bill Speers Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished Stealing The General, about the Great Locomotive Chase of the Civil War. A good book.

For 2006, I've read 71 books, 26,500 pages (72 pages a day), 15 fiction and 56 non-fiction.

Next on my list (I usually read 2-3 books at a time) are: Howard Chadwick, The Early Church (history of the first 400 years of Christianity), Norman Cantor, Civilization In The Middle Ages (Europe from the fall of Rome until the 14th Century), and Robert B. Parker, Death In Paradise (a Jesse Stone murder mystery).
 Post Number: 11
Bill Speers Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by BoomerHiker:
E.V. Rieu's translation of Homer's Odyssey.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with "The Simpsons" or minivans... Wink

I'm also looking to score some Mickey Spillane. Anybody got any recommendations for starters?

My first Mickey Spillane, read when I was about 11 years old, remains my favorite: I, The Jury. But Kiss Me, Deadly is also good.
 Post Number: 12
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Speers:
Just finished Stealing The General, about the Great Locomotive Chase of the Civil War. A good book.

For 2006, I've read 71 books, 26,500 pages (72 pages a day), 15 fiction and 56 non-fiction.

Next on my list (I usually read 2-3 books at a time) are: Howard Chadwick, The Early Church (history of the first 400 years of Christianity), Norman Cantor, Civilization In The Middle Ages (Europe from the fall of Rome until the 14th Century), and Robert B. Parker, Death In Paradise (a Jesse Stone murder mystery).

You always are reading such interesting books! Smiler

For 2006 I read 57 books. I don't keep track of pages and I'll have to look and see how many non-fiction vs fiction. I'll be posting my annual "best of" list later. Smiler I usually read 3-4 books at a time too, but lately I've been going through them so fast I'm only doing one at a time. I guess that is a good thing.

I've written down Stealing The General. Sounds like something my FFIL will enjoy... his two big interests are the Civil War and trains. Wink

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just finished "Water For Elephants" a few days ago (by Sara Gruen). It was one of those books I couldn't put down. It's about a man's experience with a low-rate circus back in the 1930's.

Right now I am reading "The Widow of the South" by Robert Hicks. So far it's been a good read. It takes place during the Civil War, and is about a woman who takes care of a cemetary of, you guessed it, Civil War soldiers. It is based on fact and fiction.

Lorax, I read "Marley and Me" last summer. It was so good!!

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 14
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Woodswoman:
I just finished "Water For Elephants" a few days ago (by Sara Gruen). It was one of those books I couldn't put down. It's about a man's experience with a low-rate circus back in the 1930's.

That's on my "list" too!! Smiler I'm glad to hear it is a good one.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the history/politics dept:

Collapse by Jared Diamond. Just got started - I hope it can at least partially live up to Guns, Germs & Steel, which was an enthralling book.

American Theocracy by Kevin Phillips. The subtitle says it all: The Perils of Radical Religion, Oil, and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century.

From the Mgmt degree maintenance dept:

The Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge. My favorite mgmt book - I'm refreshing my memory of it.

The Servant Leader by James Autry. Just getting started. The first book on servant leadership I have found, which does not have a bias to christianity.
 Post Number: 16
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the current stack I'm switching between:

Ontogeny and Phylogeny - Steven Jay Gould
Roadside Geology of Arizona - Halka Chronic
The Woodcut Artist's Handbook - George A. Walker
Guide to Colorado Wildflowers (Vol 2: Mountains) G. K. Guennel
 Post Number: 17
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Besides that multitude of CO trail books -- I am listening to "The Alienist"

http://www.amazon.com/Alienist-Caleb-Carr/dp/0553572997

It's quite interesting.. 1896 profilers trying to define a serial killer.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 18
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by orygawn:
From the history/politics dept:

Collapse by Jared Diamond. Just got started - I hope it can at least partially live up to Guns, Germs & Steel, which was an enthralling book.

American Theocracy by Kevin Phillips. The subtitle says it all: The Perils of Radical Religion, Oil, and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century.

From the Mgmt degree maintenance dept:

The Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge. My favorite mgmt book - I'm refreshing my memory of it.

The Servant Leader by James Autry. Just getting started. The first book on servant leadership I have found, which does not have a bias to christianity.

Wow. That looks like some heavy reading! Are all of these for fun??

I loved Guns, Germs and Steel (especially the parts about how plants and animals were domesticated) but when I started to listen to Collapse on CD I got bored by about the 3rd or 4th disk... Ah well. I still want to read more of his books. Smiler

--------------
 Post Number: 19
nic Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished " The Children's Blizzard" by David Laskin about a swift blizzard that swept thru the Dakotas and Nebraska in 1888 taking everyone by suprise and killing many children trying to make their way home from school.

Just started (p 185) The Great Influenza by John M Barry about the 1918 Spanish Flu

--------------
Climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, and cry less.
 Post Number: 20
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by nic:
Just finished " The Children's Blizzard" by David Laskin about a swift blizzard that swept thru the Dakotas and Nebraska in 1888 taking everyone by suprise and killing many children trying to make their way home from school.

I remember a Little House on the Prarie episode that had a similar story... I wonder which came first. The book or the show... Wink

--------------
 Post Number: 21
DocTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just for fun reading (technical and continuing ed reading is not what you want, I'm sure)

Currently, "The Master Butchers Singing Club", Louise Erdrich - Love story concerning immigrants in upper midwest in the period between WWI and II, Ms. Erdrich writes extremly well, well enough that a person like me who generally does not read "love" stories, is slowly working through all her books.

Just finished "Oh Pure and Radiant Heart" an anti nucular weapons fantasy with the central hypothesis of Oppenheimer, Fermi, and Szilard being transported to the present time at the instant of the detonation of the 1st nuclear bomb (test). Also very well written and interesting, with a sub theme of religous fanatics trying to promote armegedon.

--------------
Brush and Floss, it is the secret of life!
Be still, unless you can improve on the silence!
http://www.acomplaintfreeworld.org/
 Post Number: 22
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
What is everyone reading???

Right now my attention span about matches online essays I Google down on university or government websites. A lot of that involves natural history. I rarely read fiction. My mind generally gives birth to enough of that to satisfy me.

I'm about a quarter of the way through the collected works of Sigmund Freud. He sits near my computer asking why I keep missing my appointments. But the Internet has both spoiled and enhanced my reading habits. I read fewer great writers, but track down a lot of information.

Fortunately, while other people were raising families, I spend my 20's, 30's, and 40's reading in my free time — largely history, social sciences, and psychology. Now I spend a lot of time studying other areas, represented not so much in good literature as in research and presentation. Sometimes I just like to "read" maps.

Some nights I may latch onto a long work of poetry and read for an hour. Perhaps that repairs my diction before the next technical essay. I could probably read Tennyson's Maude outloud, in its entirety, once a week and not tire of it.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 23
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by orygawn:
I just added that to my shopping list. Thanks for the reminder, Orygawn.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 24
ltspike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Of Human Bondage" by W. Sommerset Maugham

Kind of like Dickens on downers
 Post Number: 25
Redfox Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i've just started the book I got for Christmas, Rory Stewart's Prince of the Marshes. So far so good. I'll read his first one once I'm done this one.
 Post Number: 26
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:

I've read this one and strongly recommend it.
 Post Number: 27
whistlepunk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

American Sphinx -- The Character of Thomas Jefferson. by Joseph Ellis.

Sort of a psychological profile of Jefferson. Details the events of his life and how they shaped his world view and philosophy of government and society, and how his ideas and values changed over time.
 Post Number: 28
whistlepunk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Dicentra:

...I loved Guns, Germs and Steel (especially the parts about how plants and animals were domesticated...

Interesting. I thought GG&S was a very racist book, despite the author's claim that the rest of his colleagues were racist and he wasn't. Besides, he outright ignored or denied well established scientific and historic facts that did not fit his theme.
 Post Number: 29
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Deborah:
Besides that multitude of CO trail books -- I am listening to "The Alienist"

http://www.amazon.com/Alienist-Caleb-Carr/dp/0553572997

It's quite interesting.. 1896 profilers trying to define a serial killer.

Oh, I LOVED that book!!! I've read it twice...
 Post Number: 30
wbtravis5152 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2006, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

After reading Field Marshal Lord Alanbrooke's War Diaries and his rather poor assessment of George C. Marshall, I decided to read General of the Army George C. Marshall, Soldier and Statesman by Ed Cray. Then it is on to Ed Veisturs' new book.

--------------
“If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog”...Harry S. Truman
1347 replies since Dec. 31 2006, 11:01 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 4512345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What is everyone reading???
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions