2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 10212345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Knitters U(k)nite! (knit? spin? felt? crochet?) spin your yarn here.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
snowshoe Search for posts by this member.
word girl & sno-ho

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 6:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OK, you made it past the bad pun(s)....you are a hardy soul.)

After tying up RD's thread last week, I found spindle & fifeplayer are knitters n spinners. Who else here knits/spins/felts/crochets....? Have you knit your own gear? What are your favorite patterns? Yarns?

--------------
Finally, anyone who uses the terms irregardless, whole nother, or all of the sudden shall be sentenced to a work camp. -Stewie Griffin
Quoth the Redhead...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BoomerHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was just tickled to death that I could sew my buttons back on my jacket last week.

--------------
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
 Post Number: 3
word girl & sno-ho

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

<< excellent! >>
How did your article work out?

--------------
Finally, anyone who uses the terms irregardless, whole nother, or all of the sudden shall be sentenced to a work camp. -Stewie Griffin
Quoth the Redhead...
 Post Number: 4
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

I was just tickled to death

could sew my buttons

Dude. have Katie bring you to DC. We need to get you to some "clubs".

Razzer

Razzer

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I, uh, didn't do it... :|

Well, at least I'll have an idea what to write about next Valentine's day.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
word girl & sno-ho

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:O
Rats, I was looking forward to reading it!

--------------
Quoth the Redhead...
 Post Number: 7
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're punny. Wink Poor RD. We hijacked that thread but good. Smiler

I've knit headwear, handwear, and socks as gear. I'm currently spinning some first-shearing baby Alpaca into a 2-ply sport weight that will be a balaclava for next winter.

I've got a 4-needle watch cap in progress for my 5 year old. Some unknown acrylic I acquired in a grab-bag. Dark blue.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What? What'd I say?

--------------
 Post Number: 9
word girl & sno-ho

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know, that was bad, but I couldn't help myself.

Do you sell your yarn??

My mom just got me several months of the dizzy society (misshawklett's yarn o' the month club) as a Valentine's Day/Birthday gift. I can't wait!!

I tried following a design pattern last night, but the colors I chose were a bit too dark...and I, well, er, well, it was my first time, so it didn't turn out quite the way I'd hoped. I learned a lot though. I'll try another one tonight.

I've made...scarves, hats, and mittens s far...

--------------
Quoth the Redhead...
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mrs. big_load is a dedicated fiber artist. She mainly weaves, but also spins, knits, felts, sews, and other such things. She had an item in the fashion show at Convergence in 2004 which ended up in a traveling exhibit and she has two projects on display now at the University of Iowa. She's active in several guilds and teaches workshops on a variety of topics. People are coming over tonight to spin.

For portable work, she likes kumihimo, tablet weaving, and spinning on her UL drop spindle.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So you are well aquainted with living with One of Us.Wink B-)

"UL drop spindle"?? Which one?
 Post Number: 12
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

I like to knit but I never have time for it :_|

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh yes, my mom is weaver and spinner and she infected my wife right off the bat. Her wedding present was the mom's first loom. Mom is horrible at math, so I grew up doing all her loom and dye calculations. Mrs. big_load has far outdistanced her in gear accumulation. She can never complain about my gear room. B-)

The UL spindle is made from a CD, a bit of dowel, a rubber grommet, and an eye hook. The grommet is the key piece. She was told it's an unusual size. Performance-wise it's not that great, but in the right hands, the product looks like it came off a wheel. She got it from somebody in North Country Spinners. You must be familiar with them, since so many are from your area.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We certainly are gear hoarders, aren't we? Wink

Yes! A CD spindle. You know a spinning addict when you see one. Is hers longer or shorter than the usual? Is that the only one she uses?

I know the North Country crew. They are at everything. Nice people. I received an invite to join but their meeting hours aren't currently meshing with my childrens schedules. Frowner I'd really love having other spinning humans around too.
 Post Number: 15
mtbackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my friends is teaching me how to knit this month and another is teaching me how to crochet. I can't wait! Smiler
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another yarn junkie is born. Wink B-)

If you need any help, we are here. Smiler
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use everything I spin, eventually. No selling. Smiler

Great gift! Can't wait to hear about the monthly yarn treats.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hers is about 14-15" altogether. She might have another, but not one she uses much. She likes to perfect her technique on one tool before getting started on a different one. Also, she spins mostly on the road when taking a loom isn't practical.
 Post Number: 19
u2alaska Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I learned how to knit last summer and made my first scarf. I'm making my second one now, which was supposed to be a Christmas present for someone and now may be a birthday present. It's a square block pattern (K4, P4) sort of thing.

I'm still learning, though. I'm supposed to have 38 stitches across and I keep ending up with 39 or 40, and I can't figure out my mistake until five rows later, so it doesn't look as pretty as it could. But I'm learning!
 Post Number: 20
word girl & sno-ho

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't either! :^O

Seriously, you'd be surprised at the times you can do it once you get the hang of a few basics...watching TV, in the car (and with a head lamp at night), in waiting rooms, while visiting family or friends (boring or exciting) and best of all, you can rationalize it sometimes..."Oh, I'm working on this project for so-and-so's [insert gift-giving holiday here], honey. I can't possibly [fill in offensive chores or destination here]!"

--------------
Quoth the Redhead...
 Post Number: 21
word girl & sno-ho

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My first scarves were like that, too. I'm getting better at catching when I'm picking up a stitch accidentally & I learned how to fix a dropped stitch.

--------------
Quoth the Redhead...
 Post Number: 22
word girl & sno-ho

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll keep you posted! I think it starts next month.

--------------
Quoth the Redhead...
 Post Number: 23
word girl & sno-ho

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be interested to hear which you like better, or if you like both. I don't know how to crochet (yet). HAVE FUN!

--------------
Quoth the Redhead...
 Post Number: 24
PackDad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Mom's Mom did all of that stuff, even did tat'n. I still have some things she made for me. I have them put up, they mean too much to me to use them. She also did something called wicking, ever hear of that? It's stitching wicks on table cloths etc. to make them look nice.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2006, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh yeah, my great grandmother spent her last years tatting almost continously. She had some really nice ivory bobbins probably made from whale teeth. The full name of other thing you mention candlewicking. I used to have a bedspread that my grandmother did, but it wore out 30 years ago.
 Post Number: 26
word girl & sno-ho

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2006, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

too bad more people don't still do all these old crafts!

--------------
Quoth the Redhead...
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2006, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Skilled tatters are something to watch. All those bobbins, such pretty lace! It amazes me they remember what goes where. Maybe someday...
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2006, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, production length in a CD spindle. Most unusual as light spindles aren't generally used for such quantity. She must have wicked control skills! Brava! B-)
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2006, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a good knitting-reading day! Head down to the Post Office to fetch my mail and in my box is the Spring 2006 issue of Interweave Knits AND the Patternworks catalog. I'm OD-ing today. Wink

Newly added to my want list are three books: "At Knit's End: meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much" and "yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter" - by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, and "Hats-A Knitter's Dozen" - Knitter's Magazine. The Hats book contains 25 patterns. sweeeeet!

Anyone ever use "Balene" needles? They are back in the Patternworks catalog. Plastic, size 10 & up are hollow?

How about yarns from: http://www.uniquekolours.com/ ? Interesting funky fiber combinations.
 Post Number: 30
word girl & sno-ho

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2006, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's some good reading, recommended by another knitter:

The Knitting Sutra: Craft as a Spiritual Practice
by Susan Gordon Lydon

Here's a blurb about it:

"The purpose of meditation is to quiet the mind so that it can sink down into contemplation of its true nature. You cannot stop your mind by an act of will any more than you can stop the beating of your own heart. Some cultures describe mind as a drunken monkey, reeling from place to place with no rhyme or reason. Like meditation/ knitting calms the monkey down....I believe that in the quiet/ repetitive, hypnotic rhythms of creating craft, the inner being may emerge in all its quiet beauty. The very rhythm, of the knitting needles can become as incantatory as a drumbeat or a Gregorian chant."

-- from The knitting Sutra

Knitting as prayer? Craft as spiritual path? In this wonderfully allusive story of the quest to master a craft, Susan Gordon Lydon's love of knitting and her search for spiritual insight become powerfully and lyrically intertwined.

Lydon's journey begins when she knits a turquoise chenille sweater to help a broken bone in her arm "knit." In pursuit of a perfect silver button for her sweater -- and a medicine man for her arm -- she ends up on a Navajo reservation where a community of women live by the proceeds of their craft in a unified cycle of livelihood, art, and spirituality. They remind Lydon of the women on the Shetland Islands who developed classic knitting patterns and of the women who gather at her local yarn shop. From old-fashioned quilting bees to the hundreds of knitters who communicate on the Internet, she recognizes in craftspeople the confluence of self, community, creativity, ritual, and the urge to beautify the everyday.

Each new knitting project she begins and every new skill she masters bring her closer to serenity and insight that have sometimes eluded her through years of spiritual explorations. In one passage, her arm healed and her passion for knitting rekindled, Lydon finds herself selling old books and clothes to buy a particularly extravagant yarn. The red sweater it becomes represents the lessons in daring and self-trust she learns while crafting it. Even a bout with cancer ("I particularly didn't want to die because I wanted to finish my Alice Starmore sweater") and the hiatus from knitting a tendinitis diagnosis demands guide her to take the lessons she has learned from knitting -- sitting still, focusing the mind, asking for help -- and apply them to the rest of her life.

Dedicated to "all the women who knit too much," Lydon's rich insights will delight and inspire all who seek the extraordinary in the everyday.

--------------
Quoth the Redhead...
3045 replies since Feb. 13 2006, 6:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 10212345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Knitters U(k)nite! (knit? spin? felt? crochet?) spin your yarn here.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions