2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Jaguars in AZ< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
big_load Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 6:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A jaguar has been captured and collared near Tucson (HikeArizona link)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 20 2009, 4:07 pm)

That's cool. One of the first days I didn't read the daily in a while and missed it.

It's kind of one of those things that you would like to see but yet not have an encounter.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well congratulations to the AGFD crew!  
They’ve been work toward this for over ten years.

A book was published just last year that had several photos from camera traps of these critters.  I was a bit disappointed in the book, I wanted to see more of the jags, but I guess they gave us what they had.  Most of the book was filled with other wildlife (and some non-wildlife) which was still interesting.

Book

DD, if you haven’t seen the book, and don’t care to buy it, shoot me a PM with an address and I’ll drop it in the mail (if you promise to send it back).

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 4
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always understood they were there, just so elusive to be rarely seen/ never caught or photographed to document the sightings.

Now somebodies gotten collared ............ (busted)

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 5
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's hope he gets some and produces some kittehs.
 Post Number: 6
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kayaking amongst killer whales is probably the most humbling moment I've ver had in the wild. Second would be a 900 pound Silvertip standing up to me at less than 9 yards on the Ranch. Third is definitely a jaguar in tall grass just a dozen yards away.

I would love to sit on a mesa and watch one for an early evening sometime.

Thanks for posting.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 7
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great news but so much for soloing low-lying arid grasslands ...  :D

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 8
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Feb. 20 2009, 6:44 pm)

Looking back 12 years when I started hiking the Arizona Trail at the Mexican Border, it's easy to imagine I was being watched. Big cats were more skiddish back then and I've never seen one in southern Arizona while backpacking.

So, I guess, I didn't hesitate to hike the low deserts. My curent progress on the AzTrail has taken me out of the range of the Border jaguars.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 9
The Nature Boy Search for posts by this member.
Woooooo....

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A collar? When they had a perfect shot from 100 yards?

--------------
If you don't like it, learn to love it.....
 Post Number: 10
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(The Nature Boy @ Feb. 20 2009, 7:13 pm)
A collar? When they had a perfect shot from 100 yards?

Conservatism is alive and well in southern Arizona.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 11
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 20 2009, 7:11 pm)

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Feb. 20 2009, 6:44 pm)

Looking back 12 years when I started hiking the Arizona Trail at the Mexican Border, it's easy to imagine I was being watched. Big cats were more skiddish back then and I've never seen one in southern Arizona while backpacking.

So, I guess, I didn't hesitate to hike the low deserts. My curent progress on the AzTrail has taken me out of the range of the Border jaguars.

Haven't had a mountain lion problem in these regions that I am aware of  (unlike California and some other states), so hopefully the few jaguars in the US maintain their shyness.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 12
Latitude33 Search for posts by this member.
Cult Leader

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2009, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good to see wild is still part of wilderness.

--------------
A smile is the shortest distance between two people - Victor Borge
 Post Number: 13
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2009, 1:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll add this to the list of things to look for at night when I'm out there.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
Bunji Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2009, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is a silvertip, DC?

--------------
- Bunji
 Post Number: 15
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2009, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 20 2009, 6:07 pm)

Gee, one more thing for this Midwesterner to worry about while camping in Tucson next week  :;):

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 16
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2009, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bunji @ Feb. 21 2009, 7:48 am)
What is a silvertip, DC?

Grizzly bear. Grizzly means gray, silver, whitish etc. So a grizzled old man is one with silver-whitish kind of hair.

I remember something about jaguars in that area in a conversation months ago. I wish them well.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2009, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Feb. 20 2009, 6:57 pm)
Well congratulations to the AGFD crew!  
They’ve been work toward this for over ten years.

A book was published just last year that had several photos from camera traps of these critters.  I was a bit disappointed in the book, I wanted to see more of the jags, but I guess they gave us what they had.  Most of the book was filled with other wildlife (and some non-wildlife) which was still interesting.

National Geographic published some photos from camera traps a few years back.

This story was from 2003.
 Post Number: 18
aracauna Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2009, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't realize that Jaguars made it that far north. They're usually talked about as a Central American jungle cat so it'd never crossed my mind that they'd also be a Southwest desert cat too.

It would be pretty cool to see one of those in the wild. My first instinct is that you'd not have to worry about an attack as much with them as you would with a mountain lion or grizzly, and the mountain lion attacks are already pretty rare, but I just looked up both the cougar and leopard and while their both about the same height at the shoulder and the cougar is significantly longer, the jaguar weight range for males is almost twice that of the cougar. That's a big cat. I have no idea why I always thought they were smaller than leopards.
 Post Number: 19
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2009, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 21 2009, 3:17 pm)
National Geographic published some photos from camera traps a few years back.

This story was from 2003.

Love the title to that story..."Are Wild Jaguars Moving Back Into the U.S.?"  No, silly, it's the Domesticated Jags that are moving in.

Seems like I remember somebody posting on here about some cats making their way into AZ up the San Pedro valley from Mexico.  Of course, the choice of solution for border security will have an impact on the jags' ability to cross also.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 20
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2009, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A friend and I spotted a black jaguar a couple of years ago on the boarder down here in El Paso, we had to take a second look to make sure we were seeing what we thought we were seeing.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2009, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a sad update.  The collared jaguar, a 16 year-old male, was recaptured and euthanized after suffering kidney failure.  There is a picture of him (still alive) in the thread I linked to in the first post.
 Post Number: 22
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2009, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Mar. 02 2009, 10:33 pm)
There's a sad update.  The collared jaguar, a 16 year-old male, was recaptured and euthanized after suffering kidney failure.  There is a picture of him (still alive) in the thread I linked to in the first post.

How sad.

I wonder if they used a tranquilizer when he was collared and if it had affected his/her kidneys?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2009, 1:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Mar. 03 2009, 12:41 am)
I wonder if they used a tranquilizer when he was collared and if it had affected his/her kidneys?

I hadn't thought of that, but it probably is a risk.  Someone else speculated that its illness might be what made it vulnerable to capture in the first place.
 Post Number: 24
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2009, 2:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey big_load,

Thanks for the sad update. What a shame. One might have hoped he'd be allowed the dignity of a death in the wild, as he lived his life, but alas, such wasn't the case.

Cheers

Carl
Stock Nature Photos.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 25
Mountaingoat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2009, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In response to hiking tiger's  "Domesticated cats moving back into the US." ------"heres your sign".
 Post Number: 26
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2009, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tragic news.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 27
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They just don't get it. It's more than just protecting and studying the jaguars that make it into the Southwest. It's about giving quarter to wild areas in general.

Ariz. agency wants jaguar proposal pulled
| November 5, 2012

PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona Game and Fish Department has asked that a proposal aimed at designating land in New Mexico and Arizona as critical habitat for the jaguar be withdrawn.

The agency recently told the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that the rare jaguar's primary habitat is in Central and South America and that land in Arizona and New Mexico make up less than one percent of the species' historic range.

Officials with the agency say both states aren't essential to the conservation of jaguars, although male jaguars from Mexico have been spotted in southern Arizona.

In August, federal wildlife officials proposed designating more than 1,300 square miles in New Mexico and Arizona as critical habitat for the jaguar.

The rare cat was placed on the federal endangered species list in 1997.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Nov. 05 2012, 5:22 pm)
They just don't get it. It's more than just protecting and studying the jaguars that make it into the Southwest. It's about giving quarter to wild areas in general.

It was clear in the transcripts that avoiding the habitat designation was a high priority from the first time jaguars were seen in AZ.  The AZ Fish and Game Department is pursuing its master's policy goals.
 Post Number: 29
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was in SW CO and SE UT when the cat died, sad indeed. I can only speculate as warm and dry as it was at that time perhaps that tranquilizer exascerbated dehyradtion, I don't know, would like to though.

On the Land Issue: Travis might be able to share his opinion and support or contest me on some of my assumptionson but this my understanding of the way it worked in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana with wolves, and it might be something that might help us predict the future here.

In the earliest 90s a "canine" was shot in the Teton Wilderness of the Bridger-Teton National Forest just south of the border of Yellowstone NP's vast Southern Wilderness right near the headwaters of the Snake River. If that "canine" had been classified as a wolf there very well might have been reason for the endangered species act to kick in for a "native," not "experimental" population. Wolf sighting/hearing reports were purportedly increasing in multiple areas of the Northern Rockies. A native wolf population would likely have imposed far greater restrictions on the resource extraction industy. I think that's why all the Governors, Congressmen, etc. got on board with re-introduction.

There was a court case about 10 years ago where a judge ruled there had likely been a native population and apparently opened the door to possible action to limit if not cease the reintroductory program; but it was overturned on appeal as I remember; whatever the case the program of course went on.

I don't know that there will be proposal for jaguar reintroduction in Arizona. I have no idea of what historical data there is but I have to wonder if the climate in much of Arizona and New Mexico isn't far more inhospitable than it was when jaguars last populated the area. All I know is that with the designation that the G&F now doesn't want to happen would certainly cause restrictions of some sort.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 30
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tell AZ G&F "good luck with that". They better home for a Mormon roll tomorrow.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
54 replies since Feb. 20 2009, 6:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Jaguars in AZ
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions